Okay, Let's Do This!

raaynes
raaynes Posts: 58
edited September 28 in Introduce Yourself
Hello MFP!

I've been here for about two weeks now, and it's been an eye-opening experience. I knew I didn't eat well, but now I know how badly I was treating my body. "Was". That's right. No more.

A bit about me. I used to dance a lot. Like 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, for at least 3 hours a day. Unfortunately, the dance world looks for dancers with a taller build than myself, so I would likely have never made it far professionally. Also, I found a different calling, and pursued that through University and beyond. However, the dreaded "Freshman 15" nearly got me. With all the dance I'd been doing for my entire childhood, I had never needed to watch my diet... I lack serious healthy eating skills. Better to tackle this now when it's only a 15 pound problem and not a 115 pound problem.

Please don't discount me for having to "loose only 15 pounds". On a 5'3 frame, that makes a big difference, especially when I can tell that this is not a fit 15 pounds, but a definite unhealthy 15. They've been a ***** to drop too. Hence this new effort.

I took before pics for the first time; I feel this is the first step to a true commitment. Also, I've always treated my "post-dance" body as a bit of a taboo topic. Embarrassed to acknowledge the weight, or any weight lost. Like if I ignore it, it'll go away or have never existed. I hope that sharing all of this with an online community will keep me honest and help me get over this fear in "real life". If I lose the weight, I've got to be able to accept compliments on it, right?

Stats:
Height: 5'3"
Max Weight: 135
Current Weight: 130
Goal Weight: 115 (estimated based off of my previous weight, but if I build muscle and don't meet this weight, that's just as good)
Before Pics: http://imgur.com/a/rf9BT

Replies

• radioloren
    radioloren Posts: 26 Member
    Hey there!

I just wanted to comment because you said something that completely makes sense in my weight loss goal!

I also have a smaller amount of weight to lose...a bit more than 15, but I would like to drop 30 lbs. I'm not fat, I'm just heavier than I feel like I should be, and like you, I would like to tackle 30 lbs. before it becomes 50, or 70 or 130! I typically don't tell a lot of people when I'm trying to drop weight, because I get the same response from everyone "but, you aren't fat!!" Yes, that is correct, I am not fat, but I am not comfortable at my weight, I weigh more than I should and what matters most, is how I feel, not how others perceive me! I thank the Lord that I have my height (I'm 5'9") or I wouldn't be able to carry as much weight and still look decent, so being tall is a major plus for me, otherwise my number would probably be higher than 30 lbs. to lose!

So I for one, will not discount you for wanting to drop 15 lbs. We all have different goals in our lives and if you can do it and feel great, than good for you!!! Best of luck!
  • raaynes
    raaynes Posts: 58
    Hey there!

I just wanted to comment because you said something that completely makes sense in my weight loss goal!

I also have a smaller amount of weight to lose...a bit more than 15, but I would like to drop 30 lbs. I'm not fat, I'm just heavier than I feel like I should be, and like you, I would like to tackle 30 lbs. before it becomes 50, or 70 or 130! I typically don't tell a lot of people when I'm trying to drop weight, because I get the same response from everyone "but, you aren't fat!!" Yes, that is correct, I am not fat, but I am not comfortable at my weight, I weigh more than I should and what matters most, is how I feel, not how others perceive me! I thank the Lord that I have my height (I'm 5'9") or I wouldn't be able to carry as much weight and still look decent, so being tall is a major plus for me, otherwise my number would probably be higher than 30 lbs. to lose!

So I for one, will not discount you for wanting to drop 15 lbs. We all have different goals in our lives and if you can do it and feel great, than good for you!!! Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your reply. You hit it exactly right; it's about feeling healthy. I don't feel as healthy as I did before. That's probably because I'm not 18 anymore, and not as active so my body can't survive off garbage anymore.

That might be why I hesitate to mention it to friends or family; I'm afraid they'll take it as a pure vanity. Granted, there is a healthy dose of vanity involved, but there's a larger part that is my desire to be healthy now and fight these bad habits early.

Thanks again for your post, and good luck with your "toning". That's what we should call it. We're getting toned. ;)
This discussion has been closed.