I need a motivation.

Options
Ok so I've been going to the gym for a week now but I only go Monday Wednesday and Friday. I try to eat healthy so I can loose weight but I end up eating at fast food. I guess I'm not used to eating small portions because they don't fill me up so I don't know how I'm supposed to make this work. I need some tips or suggestions on what to do and how to balance my meals so I can reach my goal

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your:
    Weight
    Sex
    Non-exercise activity level
    Average weekly exercise level
    Current calorie intake
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy, the way the term is typically used, isn't what results in weight loss. A calorie deficit is. And that can be accomplished while eating fast food.

What is your goal? What are your stats? How much are you eating?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not used to eating small portions because they don't fill me up so I don't know how I'm supposed to make this work

Try eating 1 less bite. In other words, leave a little food on the plate and walk out. Easy, right? Then a few days later, eat 2 less bites. Etc. After a month you should be down a few pounds. Sound good?
  • tmwatkins1024
    tmwatkins1024 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What are your:
    Weight
    Sex
    Current calorie intake

I'm 18, 5'6" , 262 pounds , female , I'm not really active unless I go to the gym and some days I get on the treadmill and go for an hour , some days I just go a mile or so and switch machines , my current calorie intake is around 2,500
  • tmwatkins1024
    Options
    Eating healthy, the way the term is typically used, isn't what results in weight loss. A calorie deficit is. And that can be accomplished while eating fast food.

My goal is 200 lbs , I currently weigh 262 , I don't really eat a lot of big meals , it's just fast food like I want it so I get it and then afterwards I fell bad that I ate it
  • tmwatkins1024
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I guess I'm not used to eating small portions because they don't fill me up so I don't know how I'm supposed to make this work

Try eating 1 less bite. In other words, leave a little food on the plate and walk out. Easy, right? Then a few days later, eat 2 less bites. Etc. After a month you should be down a few pounds. Sound good?

That sounds like a really great start. Thanks, I will try that.
  • terryggg
    terryggg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What are your:
    Weight
    Sex
    Current calorie intake

I'm 18, 5'6" , 262 pounds , female , I'm not really active unless I go to the gym and some days I get on the treadmill and go for an hour , some days I just go a mile or so and switch machines , my current calorie intake is around 2,500

• Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 1,704 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am no expert but I believe your calorie intake is too high. I am close to your weight and I eat 1,650 calories per day and I have consistently lost weight for the last 14 weeks now. Protein will help keep you full and drinking water. I eat at least 90 grams of protein per day and I drink at least 10 cups of water per day.
  • tmhowells64
    tmhowells64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look up the nutrition at the fast food places you frequent, make healthier choices at those places. Have a go to meal for each place. The advice I got from a trainer, do weight lifting first then do your cardio for at least 30 min every time, you will burn more that way.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You could also try the warrior diet. I like to eat big meals and can not sleep if i feel hungry. I am not a breakfast person and I am fine eating a cup of soup for lunch. I have been following it for a decade. I swear by it. Give it a try. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_diet
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    it's just fast food like I want it so I get it and then afterwards I fell bad that I ate it

Why not drop fast food altogether and learn to cook / pack lunches?

With the money you spend on fast food you'll be able to treat yourself to all sorts of fun foods that taste great and you'll be more likely to exercise portion control / manage your intake calories.

Break the addiction to fast food... for the win!

• RSavage83
    RSavage83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To maintain my weight I get 2400 calories per day. I am on 1400 so that I have a deficit of 7000 calories per week which should equal a 2 lb weight loss each week. I think your calorie intake is too high. I try to keep my meals something like 300 breakfast 300 lunch 600 dinner and under 200 snacks (usually 2 - before and after lunch). I don't eat after dinner (I try eating between 6 and 7pm). I'm not a breakfast person but not snacking at night makes me hungry in the morning.

Drink water. Lots of it. You'll feel full. I try to drink a glass right before I eat. I also practice the "leaving a bite" rule which ensures I don't eat seconds.

I don't do fast food anymore. It leaves me feeling I'll from all the grease. When I feel tempted I'll snack on something crunchy and salty instead or give myself a different treat. At first I actually changed my routes to not pass by fast food restaurants (which is hard in a city!)

Over time your stomach shrinks and it takes less to feel full. The first 1-2 weeks is the hardest. Eat slowly. Give your brain and stomach time to register that you're eating. I over chew my food and take pauses to keep myself from chowing down.

Keep things like trail mix or cold grapes around. It's almost like eating candy, if you're a sugar person. Speaking of sugar... you'd be surprised what cutting it down does. I drink diet soda and stopped drinking coffee (used to drink a medium three cream, three sugar).

All of the small things you do add up to big results. You don't have to starve yourself... try cutting your calories down by 50-100 each week until you're at a more reasonable level for dieting.

I'm a big gal... but I'm tired of being a big gal and that's what's keeping my head in the game this time.

Oh... what you save not eating fast food, you can use to buy yourself other stuff you really like/want. Bank it and see how much you save. $20 or more a week really adds up!
  • Cateyes0831
    Cateyes0831 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Protein with every meal and srinking water will help with making you feel full. Also cutting out sugars are a huge help with weight gain.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Three days a week is a great start. Eat less and move more and you'll lose, it's that simple.
  • tmwatkins1024
    Options
    Wii_Player wrote: »
    I am no expert but I believe your calorie intake is too high. I am close to your weight and I eat 1,650 calories per day and I have consistently lost weight for the last 14 weeks now. Protein will help keep you full and drinking water. I eat at least 90 grams of protein per day and I drink at least 10 cups of water per day.

I don't usually eat more than 2,000 calories unless I eat fast food but on here it tells me that I should be eating that many calories
  • tmwatkins1024
    Options
    Look up the nutrition at the fast food places you frequent, make healthier choices at those places. Have a go to meal for each place. The advice I got from a trainer, do weight lifting first then do your cardio for at least 30 min every time, you will burn more that way.

Oh great , thanks
  • tmwatkins1024
    Options
    RSavage83 wrote: »
    To maintain my weight I get 2400 calories per day. I am on 1400 so that I have a deficit of 7000 calories per week which should equal a 2 lb weight loss each week. I think your calorie intake is too high. I try to keep my meals something like 300 breakfast 300 lunch 600 dinner and under 200 snacks (usually 2 - before and after lunch). I don't eat after dinner (I try eating between 6 and 7pm). I'm not a breakfast person but not snacking at night makes me hungry in the morning.

Drink water. Lots of it. You'll feel full. I try to drink a glass right before I eat. I also practice the "leaving a bite" rule which ensures I don't eat seconds.

I don't do fast food anymore. It leaves me feeling I'll from all the grease. When I feel tempted I'll snack on something crunchy and salty instead or give myself a different treat. At first I actually changed my routes to not pass by fast food restaurants (which is hard in a city!)

Over time your stomach shrinks and it takes less to feel full. The first 1-2 weeks is the hardest. Eat slowly. Give your brain and stomach time to register that you're eating. I over chew my food and take pauses to keep myself from chowing down.

Keep things like trail mix or cold grapes around. It's almost like eating candy, if you're a sugar person. Speaking of sugar... you'd be surprised what cutting it down does. I drink diet soda and stopped drinking coffee (used to drink a medium three cream, three sugar).

All of the small things you do add up to big results. You don't have to starve yourself... try cutting your calories down by 50-100 each week until you're at a more reasonable level for dieting.

I'm a big gal... but I'm tired of being a big gal and that's what's keeping my head in the game this time.

Oh... what you save not eating fast food, you can use to buy yourself other stuff you really like/want. Bank it and see how much you save. $20 or more a week really adds up!

Lots of tips I feel like I could really do. Especially the one not drive by fast foods . I think that's manageable. Thank you so much
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    RSavage83 wrote: »

^^^^this +1

I started out at exactly your weight and and almost your height (I'm 5'7), and mfp gave me around 1800 calories a day. I think your eating more towards your maintenance calories.

Also, I was a BIG fast food girl. But I also learned that the more I ate fast food, the more I wanted it. I had to give it up based on that alone. If you find that your hungry after your workout maybe bring a snack with you? You will also save a lot of money! Best of luck to you!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

My goal is 200 lbs, I currently weigh 262, I don't really eat a lot of big meals, it's just fast food like I want it so I get it and then afterwards I fell bad that I ate it

Look for food you like that doesn't make you feel bad afterwards.