Late Night Eating Vs. Calories--Which is Worse? **Urgent**

Options
I have over 800 calories left (i exercise a TON) but it's nearly eleven PM and I need to be in bed soon. Is it worse to eat before I sleep or leave the calories???

Replies

• AdoreZel
    AdoreZel Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm curious about this also.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If your hungry eat, if your not hungry don't eat. I think its best to listen to what your body wants as opposed to following some arbitrary rule that does not always apply to everyone.
  • Gluke
    Gluke Posts: 1
    Options
    I would say - eat something light like cottage cheese, or butter milk. This way you won't be hungry, and get some minerals, and calories.
  • mict197
    mict197 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes, eat if you are hungry, but make sure it isn't sugar or something really salty. Some protein or fruit would be good, or some low sodium nuts.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and eat some lean protein, low on carbs. Greek yogurt like Chobani or string cheese is my "go to" on days like that.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    If your hungry eat, if your not hungry don't eat. I think its best to listen to what your body wants as opposed to following some arbitrary rule that does not always apply to everyone.

agreed.
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me to think about it like a 24 hour period - your body doesn't know what time it is - you should eat at least some of the calories back, but you could eat a bigger breakfast tomorrow morning, or even have a few more snacks tomorrow. It's been working GREAT for me! :) Good luck!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat your calories. A calorie is a calorie... that being said what you eat, or don't eat may affect how you sleep. I eat dinner late and usually have a snack (peanut butter) before bed. I've been losing weight.

If you're not hungry though don't eat. In the future try to plan your day better to incorporate all of the calories.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options

Yup. Just avoid eating something that might keep you up, like sweets, or caffeine.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If it was me, and it was time for bed (and I was being good), I would just go to bed. It may be a personal thing but I do MUCH MUCH better and feel MUCH MUCH better when I go to bed slightly hungry. When I eat before bed, I wake feeling full, heavy, groggy and just lazy.
  • oravavaara
    oravavaara Posts: 29
    Options
    Good advice so far!

If those Calories are from exercise, you should be fine. Make sure you eat at least 1200 Calories a day, preferably 1500 if you exercise a lot. Don't feel like you have to pig out because you exercised. Try not to make a habit of leaving quite so many Calories leftover each day, but it's not going to kill you to have some leftover every once in a while. Your body doesn't want to deal with that stuff while you're sleeping- it leads to acid reflux at the very least. Besides, if you're like me, you'll have an easier time getting out of bed on time tomorrow if you're hungry :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat. Don't worry about eating at night, I eat every night right before bed and have lost 39 pounds in just over 10 weeks, hasn't hurt me any.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I took a peak at your diary and if you can try to eat something to get to 1200 calories. I frequently do not eat my exercise calories but try to never go below 1200. Currently the trainer has me eating 1500 and I'm still losing :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Meal planning really helps avoid this -end of the day- to eat or not eat issue that's posted about often on the boards.

If you can plan your meals out in advance for the week, 3 days, anything to have a set meal plan and likewise for your workouts. That way you'll know approximately what calories will be burned early in the day and be able to spread your food out rather than having 800 (or whatever we might have) leftover late at night.

This works even for those that workout in the evening, it's all about planning ahead, that's what makes MFP work so well!! All the great tools we have access too:wink::flowerforyou:

For tonight I wouldn't stress out too much about it but leaving too many at the end of the day might not be a habit a person wants to get into very often.

There are many schools of thought on late night/evening eating. Some don't believe it matters, others are rigid about not eating after 6pm. :noway: I think whatever we can work into our lives individually is what will keep us moving forward in a positive way.

Good luck

ETA: Oh! OK, Took a peek at your diary to see your end total for the day. 925?? Which means you burned off 600 cals. So your body is now fueled at 325 calories?? YIKES! That's not much fuel if you do heavy workouts, it's not nearly enough fuel for anyone for the day!:frown:
  • mriricat23
    mriricat23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    how about a banana?
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say I worked out a ton
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Eat something, don't worry about going to bed right away. I would opt for a protein and a small amount of good carbs. I would eat, especially if your net is below 1200.
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Sunny_Lexie Posts: 114
    Options
    Usually it is not recommended to eat after 6pm , or at least eat sth very light, because the enzymes you have in the evening are not the same than those in the morning or at lunch.
    However this is for a moderate activity.
    Since you are already on a reduced calorie diet AND you exercise a lot, your metabolism is up so I think you should eat some good calories if you feel hungry!
  • theonlywayj316
    Options
    Thank you for those that looked at my food diary, i guess I wasn't paying attention and you're right, I didn't even make it to 1200! I need to pay attention more. Yikes.

Thanks everyone! Consensus: I'm eating. I worked out for over 100 minutes of cardio and did strength training...I need to eat something.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll pay attention better.
  • anamgrant
    anamgrant Posts: 2
    Options
    My mother and I have done plenty of research for years and I've gone to doctors and nutritionist as well... These are facts that have gotten one on one from my doctors.
    1. Our body's metabolism slows down at night so eating late at night your body will intake most of these calories instead of burning most of it off like you do duering the day. That why you just give yourself a time limit, like not eating after 6pm or 7pm
    2. Most of us usually confuse our dehydration status with 'cravings' so instead of muching on something just drink a glass of water and let it settle, drink more if you have to so your stomach tells your brain ur FULL. That's if thirst is ur case.

What I do, usually drink water and chew gum. Or I find something productive to do to get my mind off my cravings. And if you set yourfelf a goal to loose weight you might regret it in the morning. So you can eat it and feel bad in the morning or not eat it and wake up proud of yourself. Look at it as a test. GOOD LUCK!