Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do I have to eat my exercise cals?

I already have problem completing my 1,200 food calories.
Do I have to eat my exercise cals to lose weight? :noway:

What happens if I don't?

Replies

• sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    are you serious?

have you read the forum yet? it's a sticky at the top even...

the answer is yes.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Some say yes,some say no, you will never get a 100% answer, I really just think you should eat them back if you are hungry.
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    are you serious?

have you read the forum yet? it's a sticky at the top even...

the answer is yes.

That was pretty rude.
    Listen to your body. For me, eating all my cals back didn't work, so I started eating back about half, and my body responded well to that. Do whatever works for you.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Yup you need to eat all your calories including exercise calories. You want to lose fat not muscle right?
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    There are tons of threads on this. If you search for "exercise calories" you'll find more opinions than you'd ever hoped for.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    honestly I would do whatever you think your body is telling you to. I def do not eat all of mine back. There are a ton of great diet tips on toneitup.com and they have a page on youtube too. check them out. excellent trainers who know their stuff.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    honestly I would do whatever you think your body is telling you to. I def do not eat all of mine back. There are a ton of great diet tips on toneitup.com and they have a page on youtube too. check them out. excellent trainers who know their stuff.
  • Relax a little bit there, eh?
    So she didn't notice a post about this from earlier. No big. Chill. :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    No one is going to show up at your house and shove food down your throat or anything, but most people agree that you will have better success if you do.

Do what you want, though. Whatever works.
  • JamieLeff
    JamieLeff Posts: 3
    I workout 4-5x a week (a bit more than an hour of cardio at the gym) and generally burn 700-800 calories. I do not usually eat more than 100 extra a day. My diet is mostly whole foods, so 1200-1300 calories a day is more than satisfying most days. I've lost a little more than 25 lbs so far and have 8 more to get to my goal. Listen to your body. :)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    A calorie restricted diet will lead to a plateau every time. Practicing good habits by eating more on days of more exercise and eating less on days of less exercise will teach you how to eat when you get to your maintenance weight.

If you're having a hard time getting calories, try increasing your calories by 25-50 per meal. Add a tablespoon of peanut butter to bread. Eat a handful of walnuts with your lunch. 200 calories isn't that much.

Keep in mind that there are two ways to boost your metabolism. One is exercise. The other is eating.

Develop good habits now that will help adjusting to the requirements of your goal weight easier. Begin developing those good habits by eating back your exercise calories.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    A calorie restricted diet will lead to a plateau every time. Practicing good habits by eating more on days of more exercise and eating less on days of less exercise will teach you how to eat when you get to your maintenance weight.

If you're having a hard time getting calories, try increasing your calories by 25-50 per meal. Add a tablespoon of peanut butter to bread. Eat a handful of walnuts with your lunch. 200 calories isn't that much.

Keep in mind that there are two ways to boost your metabolism. One is exercise. The other is eating.

Develop good habits now that will help adjusting to the requirements of your goal weight easier. Begin developing those good habits by eating back your exercise calories.

Thank you for taking time to give great advice. I copy and past and file it away so I can be armed with knowledge.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Listen to your body. For me personally, at the advice of a trainer, I was not eating my exercise calories and it ended up actually making me sick. I was dizzy and light headed and had heart palpitations. It was not from dehydration, it was from not eating enough. I was only netting 600-900 calories a day and in addition to getting sick my weight loss soon came to an abrupt halt. I plateaued for 3 weeks, until I finally made an appointment with my doctor and started making sure I netted a minimum of 1200 calories a day. Once my calories went back up, I started losing about 2 pounds a week again.

I look at my metabolism as a fire. For it to burn the hottest you must add more fuel to it. The more I exercise, the more calories I burn, the faster my metabolism goes. Stop adding fuel to the fire and over time it is going to fizzle out. Even if you don't eat all of them, make sure you eat some of them. I think the majority of people on here, including the creators of this site, recommend eating your exercise calories. I know there are those who don't agree. Like I said, listen to your body!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member

Can I get an AMEN!! Very well said!
  • sexylily
    sexylily Posts: 68
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: I will start eating some of my calories back is just that I feel that im eating up all my hard work. But it makes sense to put more fuel to my body if I'm working out that day!

You guys are so nice to take your time to responde to my post! :smooched:
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    I agree, that wasn't very nice to say it like that. I've wondered the same thing myself and didn't realize it was in that section. Valid question! I haven't been eating the exercise cals, but I guess I don't have to feel quite as bad if I go over. :)
  • Hey,

Your question was an awesome one. Funny thing, I was asking this myself the same question today. You got some great responses, all but one. I know this is a public forum, but if people don't have any positive advice or anything positive to add in answering any question that is posted, then just stay away. Check your motive people.
    In my opinion, people like this need to grow up. Get a life, job, or whatever.

Thanks for posting this question because it did help me. Alot. I guess in my mind, it didn't make sense to eat the calories back. Afterall, I want to lose weight. I figured, the more I burned, the more I would lose.
    Again, AWESOME question!!