Hey fellow newbies!!

Options
I'm starting my journey after having my first bubba 5 months ago and would love some buddies for company, support and inspiration. I see so many people on here have achieved their dream goal of loosing weight improving their health and having a whole new stance to food. For me it feels like the impossible dream but I'm more than willing to try tackle the beast within lol whose with me??? :#:p

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby and wishing you the best of luck! :D
  • matti2
    matti2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @Bubbalicious1987 1987 - for your 5-month old bubba and your motivation to get fit and healthy! My bubba is now 18, but I remember looking at myself after he was born and not recognizing my body's my own. Just remember, that body of yours had to work hard for a good 9 months in the service of your baby and needs time to recover from that Ironman-type feat of biological athleticism! Now you've got your body back in your own hands and it's important to be kind to it. A big motivation for me was wanting to be a healthy and positive example for my son.

It's tough to feel that your time is your own when you have a little one. As you know, it takes a lot of planning. Be sure to make your own needs a part of your plans. Exercise was crucial for me. Is your husband supportive? Slipping out for a session at the gym or going for a walk or run is such an all around positive thing. Psychologically, it gives you some time to yourself to think, process or just be. Physically you'll burn calories (which is such a treat when logging in your MFP diary) and the more muscle, the faster your metabolism.

Becoming a mother brings such a totally new dimension to who we are. For me it was wonderful and at times conflicting. It was easy not to prioritize my needs. The gym was my haven and losing weight and getting fit, so empowering! Must've been my inner beast because, once I got going, I felt unstoppable!

Now you've motivated me to get back to that place. Thanks for the the rallying call. I'm with you!

• anitaghigi
    anitaghigi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I could also use some support. Congratulations on your baby.
  • darleneweb
    darleneweb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your baby. Nothing like them!! There is nothing like support!
  • Betsy1920
    Betsy1920 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ahh thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post and for the congratulations! @PinkPixiexox @anitaghigi @darleneweb

@matti2 Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. That was really lovely to read.

Yeah the other half is really supportive but right now we're trying to save hard to buy a house so can't really justify gym membership atm. So trying to think of ways to train for free. To be honest right now as I'm. So heavy I can get away with walking wii just dance aerobics dvds and I'm hoping to start zumba once a week once I've built my confidence up.

Your so right re- what your body goes through and tbh I wasn't particularly in shape pre pregnancy altho was a couple dress sizes smaller.

I totally agree with needing time to yourself also but I still feel to guilty to do that lol pathetic I know. That's why I'd like to do as much at home as possible.

Thank you so much for all your advice you really did hit the nail on the head on so many points!

Xx

• matti2
    matti2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's my pleasure, @Bubbalicious1987! Sounds as though you've got a good plan in place. There's nothing pathetic about feeling guilty - it's all part of wanting to be there for your little guy (?) Then there's the partnership component that comes in too. It takes time to figure it all out and we tend to put our own needs at the bottom of the list.

I've come to love the many different online challenges (planks or push ups or whatever) that are available now. They offer a nice way to incorporate a bite size exercise session into your day, to help it become a habit. Are you familiar with the app Coach.me? It used to be called Lift. It's great for building habits - from exercise to reading to meditating or whatever you'd like to incorporate into your life and can use accountability with others to help make it stick. You can hire a coach if you want but, I prefer to just do my little challenges and share props with "friends". I've started a 21-day no alcohol challenge to support my MFP efforts.
  • Betsy1920
    Betsy1920 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heya Matti,

Ahhh thank you. It's nice to hear someone who understands and isn't judgey thank you.

Yeah my Lil one (girl) ;) is such a good baby so I'm quite lucky I can work around her and maybe when she's bigger with her. I've seen lots of amazing videos of mummies using their babies as weights lol.

No i hadn't heard of that app defo going to look it up tonight. I'm in love with this app so any supporting ones would be great. Yeah I agree coaches are brilliant if you have the money and time but I need to motivate myself so it's a life change for me. Have to change my approach to everything especially my sweet tooth. It's crazy how much you really have to reeducate yourself,things I never even knew or thought about I know look up macro nutrients was a foreign word to me lol.

I'm following slimming world atm but I think once I plateau I will look into my first more and go for no processed foods at all but right now I think baby steps are the way forward for me to stick to it. Lovely chatting with you thank you for the tips!! @matti2