Amino acids

Hi. I'm Zach and I'm new to the forums. I've been working on weight loss and training for 3 years. I've lost 60 pounds and added muscle, but lately I've hit a wall. I'm looking for a way to keep slimming down, and I keep reading that taking amino acids will help my body to burn fat and not the muscle I've added during a lift. Will they help me to keep moving forward? Any advice is welcomed.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I doubt it will make a noticeable difference. That goes for any supplements.
    Read the first post in the Diet forum - it covers the common reasons for plateaus in fat loss. :+1:
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    BCAA's are great for helping to preserve muscle. This helps keep the muscle while burning the fat.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    BCAA's are great for helping to preserve muscle. This helps keep the muscle while burning the fat.

They're really not needed. AT ALL.

However, I view them as any other supplement... it can't hurt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Aminos are the simplest form of any protein. I'd rather get my aminos from food or even a shake, but if you're looking to supplement it along with food, it can't hurt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aspdenbrae
    aspdenbrae Posts: 49 Member
    I've never used BCAAs but those that do swear by them, but they function inside the muscle and really don't do anything for fat loss. Plateaus happen, if you're really stuck find a new exercise or activity that gets you moving more or cut macros back if they're still high. Hard to help beyond that.
  • cwardwell
    cwardwell Posts: 2 Member
    They help in muscle recovery and maintenance. You want something with a complete amino acid profile.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    The examine.com article on BCAAs is very comprehensive and informational.

http://examine.com/supplements/Branched+Chain+Amino+Acids/

That + the fact that the few amino acids in there are not different than the ones the protein in your food is made up of makes me say: waste of money as long as you're eating properly.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    For me, even if the benefit is purely psychological, they are worth it. I find they help me get through hard training sessions a lot easier.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I would question their benefit with exception of a few unique circumstances.

But as to the original question, no they aren't going to be the factor that gets you over your weight loss plateau.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I get mine in my eggs, great stuff!
  • ninerbuff wrote: »
    Aminos are the simplest form of any protein. I'd rather get my aminos from food or even a shake, but if you're looking to supplement it along with food, it can't hurt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I follow this basic advice

Sometimes in long duration cardio situations I add a scoop or two in my electrolyte drink.

I use the nitric oxide added aminos though. That amplifies the feel.

Rest more is key as well. Can't build muscle very well without good sleep.