New to the gym and Diet

Options
Hey guys. I am a UK based new dieter and gym-goer. I want to drop nearly a stone by xmas with the help of a PT a good diet many gym session and some well needed encouragement! Some days I cba with the gym so I need a kick up the bum. Anyone else have the motivation issue?

Replies

• rupertspenser
    rupertspenser Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    its a good goal with plenty of time to achieve it! have you broken it down into 1-2 weekly progress? have you been given a workout plan and diet?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I just wanted to put this thread here because if offers some wonderful information:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Best of luck to you.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think we all need a kick up the pants sometimes :) you got this! Having a trainer really helps and so do small goals until you reach your big one (which will then probably have changed anyway!)
  • try_harderG
    try_harderG Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Good luck, achievable goal.
  • zoe0401
    zoe0401 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    its a good goal with plenty of time to achieve it! have you broken it down into 1-2 weekly progress? have you been given a workout plan and diet?

Thanks. Yeah roughly 2lbs a week which isnt alot but its do-able. Im not a big person anyway just carry a few too many lbs. My PT has a full diet and workout plan for me.. its just getting out and doing it!
  • rupertspenser
    rupertspenser Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    awesome !! then have you thought about little rewards... like £5 to spend on yourself after each time you workout... so by the end of the week if you train well you can treat yourself?
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym is difficult right at the beginning. Unfortunately there isn't really much you can do about motivation, some days you just don't feel like it. I just kept telling myself 'it isn't going to happen without doing the work'.

I have always found having a gym buddy does help though :smile:
  • zoe0401
    Options
    KeepGood wrote: »
    Going to the gym is difficult right at the beginning. Unfortunately there isn't really much you can do about motivation, some days you just don't feel like it. I just kept telling myself 'it isn't going to happen without doing the work'.

I have always found having a gym buddy does help though :smile:

Tried a gym buddy.. friends think only dieting works so wont go. Its frustrating but I do prefer to train alone. I can zone out then.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    zoe0401 wrote: »
    Tried a gym buddy.. friends think only dieting works so wont go. Its frustrating but I do prefer to train alone. I can zone out then.

I know what that's like, most of the people that have went with me haven't stuck at it for long lol. After about 6 weeks of gym sessions I couldn't stop going. Once you've been going for a while and start to really feel the benefits it makes you want to be there more.

I was chatting to one of the PT's at my gym a while ago, he was saying that so many people come in with great intentions and start off really working at it but after the 4 week mark most will disappear, if they make it past a month, they'll usually stay. It seems like getting past those first hurdles is difficult for a lot of people.

It's worth sticking at it though, I'm hooked now. I try to mix things up now to keep it interesting. I've always got my program on the weights I stick to but I do classes and racket sports in between for a bit of fun. I pretty much gave up on rest days, or rather I have active rest days. :smile:
  • zoe0401
    Options
    Keep Good - its true most people stop after a while. They say a 28 day target. If you make it passed that mark you will continue its the same for everything - stopping smoking etc. Weirdly I am starting to enjoy the gym, it lets me get away from work and home. I have had some cruel comments though whilst at the gym because obviously im not lifting a huge weight (ita not how heavy the weight its how you use the weight) and that knocked my confidence a bit because I felt intimidated :neutral:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Well, the thing is you need to get to the point that you DON'T need the kick up the bum. The feeling of motivation comes and goes, it always will. What you need to do is determine that you're going to go, make it a habit, part of your routine. That way you don't even think about whether you feel motivated or not.