I start Zumba in the morning!

Options
Tomorrow i will take my first ever Zumba class...Its being held thru our local Community College.. It's two mornings a week til the end of July..I'm excited and nervous...any pointers?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Have fun!!
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    LOTS OF WATER!!!!!! And as my instructor says, Dance as if no one is watching.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You totally have to be able to laugh at yourself. Our group just finished for the summer and it made me kinda sad. I had never done it before but it is so much fun. Make sure you have lots of water and slippery shoes.
  • elaina_m
    elaina_m Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Zumba is really high impact and full of a lot of latin dance moves. It really is one of the funnest classes. You will definitely sweat. Have a great time and just try your best, eventually you will get the moves down. If you have any dance background then that will help you.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am starting tonite AT HOME!!!!
    can not wait to see this DVD!!!
    yay ZUMBA-land here I come:bigsmile:
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bring water and a towel...and plan to shake yo groove thang!!! You're gonna have lots of fun, if you don't know the move they are doing just keep moving. You're gonna love it!!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Have fun, drink lots of water (every time there's a mini break between songs!), don't worry about what you look like, don't worry about keeping up with your instructor, just march in place if you get stuck temporarily...and keep in mind that most routines are 4 or 8 counts, that will help you keep track of what the steps are :)

I've been doing Zumba since last fall and I really am not very good cause I'm a klutz and trip over my own feet sometimes...but I love it!

I hope you have a great time!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    I plan to Zumba on my hardwood floor, in my sox!
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's so much fun! I love zumba! I’ve never been so excited to “Work out”. I burn between 650-1000 calories depending on the length of time I exercise, instructor and how hard I push myself! Watch the instructor’s feet if you can get the hands and the feet great (you burn more calories) but if you don’t get the move. Just keep moving! Take it at your own pace you know your body! And have fun! Excited for you!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I don't really don't have any pointers, but I LOVE Zumba! It's an awesome workout!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!! :D I use the dvds at home b/c tbh... I'm kinda embarrassed to go to an actual class, and I'm broke! LOL
  • Marzipan91
    Marzipan91 Posts: 46
    Options
    Lucky you! I haven't gotten to do Zumba since last winter. Doing it is basically like taking a happy pill, you will feel so good when you're finished. Echoing what is said above, it is important not to take yourself too seriously. Just laugh and dance your butt off! One class I went to had those jingle skirts belly dancers wear for the class to use. It was pretty great.

But in general, have fun! And tons of water.
  • SerendipityJami
    SerendipityJami Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just started it too and am totally in love .. Ive never been excited to work out !! hope u loved it !
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    the only thing worse than 2 left feet
    could be
    2 right feet lol

no really though, tons of fun, the instructors are HOT!

I :heart: Zumba!
  • princessjaffacakes
    Options
    Off to my second class tomorrow morning and so excited!

Advice...

Just have fun!
    Don't worry what you look like, just go with it.
    If you can't get your hands and feet to work at the same time, just do your best.
    Watch the instructor and let your body copy them.
    Be prepared to sweat.
    Be prepared to have a big grin on your face all day.
    Get ready to keep telling your friends what a great time you had.

Hope you enjoy it!! x
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    just have FUN! I had my first class on Saturday just gone and it was A-M-A-Z-I-NG!!! It really didn't feel like your average fitness class, if you like dancing you'll love Zumba. I sweated a bucket load!! It was totally worth it, next class at the weekend and I'm excited already. I was nervous like you but you really have nothing to worry about at all. ENJOY!
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I think I will buy the wii game
  • missysmission777
    missysmission777 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you LOVE to dance you will LOVE Zumba... I have been doing Zumba for over a year now....IF you have the right instructor, you will love Zumba. She is vry uplifting, upbeat, full of energy and always smiling..... Have fun!