Target heart rate whilst on treadmill

Options
Hi all,

I just would like a couple of pointers as to what my heart rate should be while walking on my treadmill. It does have an inbuilt heart rate monitor using handgrips, but I have also bought a seperate monitor with chest strap too.

My heart rate at rest using my Omron BP machine is always between 48 to 55 (my heart rate has always been on the slow side)

I only walk on the Body Sculpture treadmill at speeds of up to 3.5 miles per hour and wondered what my heart rate should settle at with no incline, and same question if using a number 6 incline (out of 18 I think)

thanks for your help

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    When I wear my HRM while I am on the elliptical or the treadmill..the machine picks up the HRM. However, the calories burned always differs from the machine to the HRM..I log the HRM because I know it is probably more accurate since those machines are all calibrated differently.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    220-age=heart rate max(HRM)-age prediicted
    HRM-resting heart rate(RHR)=heart rate reserve(HRR)
    with your HRR you then calculate your target heart rate so about 50% to 85%
    (HRRx50%)+RHR=THR beats/min
    (HRRx50%)+RHR=THR beats/min

Does that make any sense? If not you have given your RHR give me your age and I can figure it out.
  • 58rocker
    58rocker Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for your reply regarding the HRM being more accurate, but any ideas of what my target heart rate should be when walking on a level treadmill or on the incline number 6.

Reason for asking is I didn't want to overdo it and cause any damage to my old ticker if I eventually pushed to exercise too hard...
  • 58rocker
    Options
    Thanks pftjill,

My resting heart rate at present is 55, when I did my last regular exercise it was reading 48.

My age is 52, or 53 next month. If you can work the figures out I would be grateful

many thanks
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    okay got it. Your THR-target heart rate
    50%=111
    85%=150

Sorry change with those numbers. I was estimating on your RHR-so here are the right numbers for working between 50% and 85% your target aerobic zones!!
  • 58rocker
    Options
    Thanks for your help with that pftjill.

I will check my figures out using the new HRM and see how I am doing.

Does 50% reading equal a very safe level and the 85% reading would be okay for short bursts? I am just guessing here

Cheers
  • 58rocker
    Options
    Oh it's ok pftjill, I just found the explanation of the percentage rates on a website. That is interesting, wish my Doc had told me that before when I mentioned about taking up exercising.

Thanks again