Water?

Options
I know that drinking water is good for our bodies but can someone spell it out as to why it's particularly being paired with weight loss?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Because it can make you feel fuller. That is why people say to drink it before you eat. You'll eat less.

I'm not a fan of water so I drink a cup of tea before I eat.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Water is also great for dehydration!! And it makes your plants look great...I also use it to brush my teeth but when that's the case I pair the water with a good toothpaste for best results .
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No calories or additives.
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Water is used by the body for so many processes it would take a long time to list and explain them all!

The rule is your weight in kg divided by 0.024, that's what you need in litres, then anything from 750ml - 1.5litres extra during exercise depending on what you're doing
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Let us all remember that eating a low carb with high protein meal works well with hunger pains. When it comes to losing weight, a calorie is not just a calorie. Your body always likes the short cut so it would rather go for stored fat than work all day to process the protein. Carbs (sugar) gets a direct pass to the blood stream and is quick to be stored as fat.
    After you drop a few pounds, eat more carbs the next day so your body will not go into starvation mode. Then go back to low carb till you drop the next two pounds. Your body is a chemical furnace. Feed it the right calories to keep it as a fat burning machine.
    This app is great for that. With this app, low carb diet, and exercise I always drop 2to 4lbs and I am never starving.
    Water is very important. Drinking lots of water actually helps flush fat and water weight. Be careful not to drink too much at night. Nobody wants to wake up at night to go to the bathroom several times.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    sinbadfxdl wrote: »
    Let us all remember that eating a low carb with high protein meal works well with hunger pains. When it comes to losing weight, a calorie is not just a calorie. Your body always likes the short cut so it would rather go for stored fat than work all day to process the protein. Carbs (sugar) gets a direct pass to the blood stream and is quick to be stored as fat.
    After you drop a few pounds, eat more carbs the next day so your body will not go into starvation mode. Then go back to low carb till you drop the next two pounds. Your body is a chemical furnace. Feed it the right calories to keep it as a fat burning machine.
    This app is great for that. With this app, low carb diet, and exercise I always drop 2to 4lbs and I am never starving.
    Water is very important. Drinking lots of water actually helps flush fat and water weight. Be careful not to drink too much at night. Nobody wants to wake up at night to go to the bathroom several times.

The part in bold is the only good advice you gave. As for the rest...
    jslbuq290vss.gif
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Carbs have NOTHING to do with this. A calorie is just a calorie, in fact, and starvation mode as you've just described it does not exist. The human body best processes carbs as a fuel source for the brain and although there are other ways for it to attain this, it is still preferred over ketones. Water does NOT flush fat. Eating at a calorie deficit helps you lose fat.

OP, water is great for keeping your body hydrated. Some people experience what they believe is hunger when they are actually thirsty, so it can be helpful to drink water and wait before immediately snacking because it may satiate you. Drinking lots of water also keeps you from retaining water, which your body does when you are dehydrated.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Water is also great for dehydration!! And it makes your plants look great...I also use it to brush my teeth but when that's the case I pair the water with a good toothpaste for best results .

Why do you feel the need to be so obnoxious on every thread you comment on?
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    What!!! Do not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I know that drinking water is good for our bodies but can someone spell it out as to why it's particularly being paired with weight loss?

this is a health and fitness site, not a weight loss site...it's not being paired with weight loss...proper hydration is important to overall health and well being. weight loss isn't the be all and end all of health.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

you have a gross misunderstanding of...well, just about everything. there is a lot more to carbs than just sugar....

if you were correct, I wouldn't be 12% BF and wouldn't have dropped 40 Lbs eating carbs. things like oats are carbs...lentils and legumes which are a big part of my diet are carbs...vegetables and fruits are carbs, etc, etc, etc...

also, water doesn't flush fat...it helps with water retention, but has nothing to do with flushing out fat....
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I remember reading somewhere that our bodies sometimes mistakes thirst for hunger. So we might be feeling hungry but what our body is really needing is water. So that would help with not overeating.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

this is a health and fitness site, not a weight loss site...it's not being paired with weight loss...proper hydration is important to overall health and well being. weight loss isn't the be all and end all of health.

I agree and disagree all at the same time. Doesn't weight loss directly correlate with health for many folks? Its not the end all be all, but it is important if being overweight is causing the health problems. I would agree that water shouldn't be paired with weight loss so much as health, but since so many people are trying to lose weight, it automatically does and the reason why needs to be explained so people aren't blindly following weight loss fads that don't make sense.
  • cwolfman13
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I agree and disagree all at the same time. Doesn't weight loss directly correlate with health for many folks? Its not the end all be all, but it is important if being overweight is causing the health problems. I would agree that water shouldn't be paired with weight loss so much as health, but since so many people are trying to lose weight, it automatically does and the reason why needs to be explained so people aren't blindly following weight loss fads that don't make sense.

there are people here trying to lose weight...there are people here trying to gain weight...there are people here like me who are maintaining weight...there are people on here who track their nutrition in order to provide for optimal fitness performance...

i didn't say weight loss wasn't a part of being healthy....but there's a lot more to it, and once again, this is a health and fitness site, not a weight loss site...as such, hydration is being paired with general health, not weight loss specifically. IMO, while weigh loss and weight management are important to general health, I see that as a bi-product of living a healthful lifestyle...i.e. when one focuses on health and well being and doing the things that healthy and fit people do, the rest tends to fall into place...i think people overly obsess about the actual weight aspect and completely forget about overall health and well being.

also, there are a lot of people who are of a perfectly healthy weight but very unhealthy and unfit...so again, much more to health and wellness than weight.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

there are people here trying to lose weight...there are people here trying to gain weight...there are people here like me who are maintaining weight...there are people on here who track their nutrition in order to provide for optimal fitness performance...

i didn't say weight loss wasn't a part of being healthy....but there's a lot more to it, and once again, this is a health and fitness site, not a weight loss site...as such, hydration is being paired with general health, not weight loss specifically.

also, there are a lot of people who are of a perfectly healthy weight but very unhealthy and unfit...so again, much more to health and wellness than weight.

Fair enough! That makes more sense. I was reading into it wrong.
  • rilmarie999
    rilmarie999 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow didn't think water was such a hot issue, I find that folks on here know a lot about health fitness and weight (loss/gain/maintain) I really was just interested because folks do mention water and weight loss together on this site often- thought I was missing something.

I don't know much but am learning, thanks for those of you who took the time to offer advice and share knowledge. Sorry if I offended others with my maybe naive question. :) to your health all!
  • ilovecereal1982
    Options
    Wow didn't think water was such a hot issue, I find that folks on here know a lot about health fitness and weight (loss/gain/maintain) I really was just interested because folks do mention water and weight loss together on this site often- thought I was missing something.

I don't know much but am learning, thanks for those of you who took the time to offer advice and share knowledge. Sorry if I offended others with my maybe naive question. :) to your health all!

Hey! Everyone loves a good water debate lady :) they were just waiting for someone to bring it up...and then everyone was like YES!! It's on!!! Water!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    Options

who was offended?