Cheat meal? ?

Options
Quick question, I've read a bunch of times that cheat meals can be extremely helpful in keeping you sane while you diet. I know the difference between cheat MEALS & cheat DAYS. I wouldn't cheat an entire day. That pretty much wastes all your weeks hard work. I would do a cheat MEAL maybe Sunday night? Thoughts?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personal preference. Some restrict calories a bit more during the week so they can splurge. I tend to only eat 2 meals on the days I know I am going to have a bit dinner.
  • Boywonder51bix
    Boywonder51bix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's true. But I'm constantly active at work. I only sit for my 30 min break. Then I'm standing/walking from 330am-12pm. So I need to eat during the day. But I also stay under my calorie intake. And by dinner I have a small but filling dinner.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to stick to meals during the working week, and have a bit of a relax at the weekends (on maintainance).

Getting into the habit of cheat meals may be detrimental, once a week at most if you're trying to loose weight.
  • 08tay
    08tay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend it but plan it and know what your going to eat that day. I would do a low to no CARB the day before. Then the cheat meal day I would do low carb again until it's go time.... Then splurge that meal. Its called damage control. After that meal your done. The next day get back on track.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One cheat meal once a week like you have planned sounds reasonable if it is going to keep you on track and attain your goal. Do you plan to keep it to fit in your macros? Once a week having a cheat like a fast food burger, fries, slice of pizza should be okay. Too much depriving sets up for a binge imo. If it fits in the macros once a week is reasonable. I couldn't do a cheat I'd binge.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be going out to dinner and want to/am likely to indulge, I make up for it by eating light the rest of the day. If I go over my daily calorie goal for that one meal, I go over. But it's usually not by much. So is that really considered a "cheat meal"?

I agree with you about cheat days, and how they can undo all of your hard work. Plus, for me, a cheat day tends to turn into two, then three....
  • Boywonder51bix
    Options
    Yes that's what I want lol for example today I will still follow my calorie intake. For dinner I will have a slice of pizza that's all.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't like the term "cheat" anything (meal or day). It makes me think that I'm doing something wrong. I try to plan all of my meals and fit in whatever food(s) I want during the day. If you are always in a deficit during the week, one cheat meal, depending on the size, could erase all of the other days. Every Thursday, we have 'McDonald's' (fast food). Depending on how many calories I have, I make choices based on what I do have. For some, over indulging can lead to more over indulges. Hope that helps.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes that's what I want lol for example today I will still follow my calorie intake. For dinner I will have a slice of pizza that's all.

So basically you will eat the foods you like, within the boundaries of your calorie goals.

Welcome to the secret club of weight loss success.

No cheating here. Just eating.
  • Boywonder51bix
    Options
    No I'm still eating right all week, including Saturday and Sunday. EXCEPT for Sunday dinner. I will have a SLICE of pizza lol
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals, I count anything I eat into my calories for the day and if I know I'm going to have a high calorie meal one day, I'll do more exercise so it fits into my calorie allowance.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No I'm still eating right all week, including Saturday and Sunday. EXCEPT for Sunday dinner. I will have a SLICE of pizza lol

But what's wrong with a slice of pizza?
    Why are you making such a big deal about it?
    What is eating right?
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm on my feet all day at work and am still able to fast during it when I want to.
  • moonagedaydream72
    Options
    I have a cheat meal about once a week although I usually try to make it fit into my calorie goal, more or less. I love burgers and fries, pizza and pasta. Having a meal like that once a week or once every two weeks gives me something to look forward to and helps prevent me from binging on crappy junk food like chips and chocolate bars. I save my calories for that one delicious quality meal and it always feels so much more satisfying!
  • rmcloughlin22
    rmcloughlin22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The beauty of MFP is that you can eat whatever the hell you want! Just log it and stay accountable. I don't like to give myself "cheat" meals/days, I'd rather just work whatever food it is into my daily allowance. If I have a day where I'm just not feeling it, I'll set my calories to maintenance level rather than lose 1 pound per week. That way I can go over without "ruining" my successful days.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't plan for them, but if I'm going out and want a certain item on the menu but it will put me over? You only live once! One bad meal doesn't ruin the rest of your progress, just as one healthy meal doesn't make you healthy.
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I honestly hate the word "cheat". I don't get it. What are you cheating; yourself? I have whatever I want to eat for dinner, will go out for ice cream now and then though I'm not cheating. I plan ahead for those times so that they fit into my calorie goal and don't do it often. I usually keep breakfast below 200 calories and lunch under 300. I will have about 200-300 calories worth of snacks a day. Then when I make dinner I can usually eat whatever everyone else is having, I just weigh out my portions and keep them in check. You really can't "cheat" a lifestyle change. If you are only doing this as a diet and it's a temporary thing, your weight loss will also be a temporary thing.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a bit confused....are you saying that you consider ONE SLICE of pizza to be a cheat meal?

Aside from the fact like, as someone else said, I don't like the term "cheating"....what's wrong with a slice of pizza? For me, a slice of pizza is normal. Three slices and we're talking about a slight derailment. Four slices and I'm off the rails. :wink:

There are no good foods or bad foods. You can get fat eating nothing but vegetables, nuts and berries, if you over indulge. Don't categorize foods as "cheats" just because they're not stereotypical diet foods.