Rewards that aren't food?

Options
JessFryNJ
JessFryNJ Posts: 23 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
I am hopefully going to be hitting my first 10 lbs gone in the next few weeks. What are your best ideas for rewards that aren't good (or bottles of wine because that one is super tempting for me)

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i personally never did the whole reward thing...i was always just focused on my health and fitness and making gains in those areas was always reward enough for me.

i did buy a new bike a few months after reaching my goal weight...but that was largely about establishing some new fitness goals and new fitness aspirations and a desire to really start cycling and participating in cycling events. but another part of that was also acknowledging that I had come a long way and deserved such an expensive item to keep me keepin' on.
  • penguinparty510
    penguinparty510 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel like the whole "reward/treat" concept is so different in women and men. (That is, in my personal experience!)
    One could go on for pages on internal versus external motivation, blah, blah.
    But for me it's makeup or nail polish. Nails are a hobby of mine and a new Dior polish is a nice treat to myself for keeping up a two week streak.
    Do you like clothes or even accessories? Scarfs or earring don't change in size as you lose the weight
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I've been buying cute exercise clothes as rewards. I workout at home so no one sees me, but it makes me a little more motivated if I like what I'm wearing. I've also bought more exercise gear as rewards.
  • JessFryNJ
    JessFryNJ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Clothes are certainly an option. Especially since I pretty much hate everything I own. It's all baggy and meant to hide all of my extra bits and pieces. So as I lose weight it will be nice to buy some things that in proud to wear.

I think that there is nothing wrong with external motivation for weight loss. Especially since I want to train myself to celebrate all sorts of things with non food rewards. Promotion at work? No need to go out for a big fancy dinner with lots of wine.. Maybe I can get a massage instead.

I like the accessories idea a lot to since as you mentioned it's not something that I will have to get rid of as I keep shrinking :)
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm how about...new music!!! To shake your grooooove thang too
  • jlreay
    jlreay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you listen to music while you workout you could reward yourself with a new set of headphones or maybe the more expensive pair of shoes. Mani and pedis are always good, or bath care items!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like splurging on a new class or piece of workout equipment. Something to keep me going. I get bored quickly so taking a few classes in something new keeps things exciting.
  • Shiloh2112
    Shiloh2112 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I buy myself books that I have been wanting to read when I keep to my new lifestyle and lose some pounds. :)
  • needconfidence
    needconfidence Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love rewarding myself with non edible treats i treat myself with books, a new hair color,makeup taking a class in something im interested in. I try to stay away from to many clothing rewards just because i know what fits me now wont fit me in two months :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't have certain rewards for certain weight loss amounts, but I do have a list of rewards for when I feel I deserve one :)

Massage-- I usually do this when I hit certain milestones, like 25 pounds lost, 50 pounds lost
    New article of clothing (1!)
    New underwear
    New makeup
    A trip to the nail salon
    Something I have been wanting for a while, but haven't really bothered to buy yet
    New kitchen tool (a new food scale, etc.)

TONS of stuff-- reward yourself with things you like!
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I recently treated myself to new underwear, mine were falling off of me. Haircuts & new hair styles are a great way to reward yourself too!
  • MrsSgtBerger
    MrsSgtBerger Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    New workout outfit.
    New outfit in general.
    Pedi/Mani
    Shoes
    Water bottles (I have a weird obsession with them lol)
    New album with some good music for working out

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I give myself fitness equipment mostly. I have gotten a recumbent bike, elliptical, plate weight, dumbells, bench, kettle and medicine ball, balance board, twister, etc. But the two main goals I have to really reward myself is onderland and actual goal weight. I will fly a plane and get laser hair removal. (I hate shaving my legs! lol) Then I'll have a whole new set of recomp goals that will "end" in a cruise! Then it's maintenance goals at that point...Gotta keep eyes open!
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Here are mine!

Starting Weight - 210
    *200 - Kitchen Scale
    *190 - Etsy Bag
    *189 (10%) - Lunch box
    *185 (Overweight) - Picnic Supplies
    *180 - Kitchen Fryer
    175 - (Halfway) - Hair Color
    170 - Weight Set
    168 (20%) - Refrigerator
    160 -
    150 (Normal) - Car detailed
    147 (30%) - Stove
    140 - Wardrobe (shopping spree)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i personally never did the whole reward thing...i was always just focused on my health and fitness and making gains in those areas was always reward enough for me.

i did buy a new bike a few months after reaching my goal weight...but that was largely about establishing some new fitness goals and new fitness aspirations and a desire to really start cycling and participating in cycling events. but another part of that was also acknowledging that I had come a long way and deserved such an expensive item to keep me keepin' on.

I like your thinking. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow evening, for better or worse, I will have finished a major assignment for my class.

I'm rewarding myself for seeing it through to the end by ... going for a walk to the beach and then maybe even lifting some weights. I haven't been able to do that in an evening in so long because of this assignment.

When I finish the course entirely, in about a month's time, I have plans to reward myself with a long bicycle ride. At least 100 km. I haven't been able to do that in so long because of this course.

But as for losing weight ... I haven't been rewarding myself. Except maybe by cycling up hills that were once hugely difficult but are now not so bad. :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm not using rewards for weight loss but more generally I have treats for myself when I'm feeling blah. Getting a massage, books for my kindle, bubble bath with candles and spending ages doing face masks/exfoliating etc, taking the time to do a mani pedi. An experience like rock climbing, trying a different yoga studio etc. I used to buy myself clothes but currently I have enough that it's hard to justify more until I'm at goal and then will need different sizes.