Finally activated my glutes when walking....

Options
Ever since reading the Strong Curves book I've became obsessed with trying to activate my glutes! I didnt follow the programme but I enjoyed the read...I kept reading and hearing people say "work the glutes,squeeze the glutes" etc but as a newbie exerciser in Jan I could never do it...I was finally able to work the glutes following Kettlebell swings workout one day and the next my butt was sore..this week I've finally learnt to activate them when walking and today my butt muscles hurt (a good hurt)...did others struggle at first to activate their glutes?

Just curious.:-)

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yes, most people do whether they know it or not. Western culture of 90 degree chairs are proven to turn off the glutes, shorten hamstrings and hip flexors and weaken core muscles.

Activating my glutes and regaining healthy mobility in hips and ankles is highest priority for me right now. This is after being at a "sit down" job for 10+ years.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How do you activate your glutes while walking?

I'm walking as I'm typing this and tensing my butt, but it makes me look like I have some kind of physical disability :worried:
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

I'm walking as I'm typing this and tensing my butt, but it makes me look like I have some kind of physical disability :worried:

duck walk
  • Christine_72
    Options

duck walk

YES @FrankWhite27330 , that explains it perfectly :lol: I thought I might have been doing it wrong, which is why I asked.

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I walk like that after LEG DAY
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras would be so...happy? I dunno.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I still haven't figured it out myself. Probably why my squat is so terrible.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I kind have to stick my hips out a little to really work my bum, I've managed to do it without anyone really noticing which is good haha, at first I looked like a robot, I can walk quite "normally" now...
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

You are so funny!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Someone said to squeeze your bottom like you are trying to hold a quarter. But if I walk long enough I feel it in my bum is that different?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a quarter you can use two dimes and a nickel. That's what I do because I save my quarters for the laundromat.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Someone said to squeeze your bottom like you are trying to hold a quarter. But if I walk long enough I feel it in my bum is that different?

I felt the burn more in my thighs the next day... But yeah, walking like I was trying to hold a coin in there is how I did it.

I'm on a mission with this lol I'm gonna get it if I have to walk like a duck 24/7 :tongue:

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Try this activation technique:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VnIhiby6w

Angelexp., for this, your bum and your bottom should be the same thing :grin:
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    If you don't have a quarter you can use two dimes and a nickel. That's what I do because I save my quarters for the laundromat.

You, sir.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Am I supposed to walk like this all the time?
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You see u dont walk like youvr got a nickel between your but..you gotta kinda swing the butt cheeks from side to side so u can really feel the muscle working...if u walk round holding a nickel un between ur butt its gonna look like youve pooped urself...you really gotta think about it too...beat in mind its taken me months to figure this or be able to activate them...