Addicted to sugar ;(

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Sugar Addiction is a Very Tragic and Very Real condition.

I am always saddened when I see homeless people reduced to such desperate circumstances, many of them at the hands of their Sugar Addiction.

I really want to help them, but one time I gave this guy some money and saw him in the street a short while later, snorting some Domino 10x Confectioner right out of the bag!

It's a problem that really needs our attention.

laaut6fkynym.jpg
    LOL

OP you are not addicted to sugar, unless of course you eating sugar directly from the sugar bag then seek addiction counseling.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP you are not addicted to sugar, unless of course you eating sugar directly from the sugar bag then seek addiction counseling.

My best friend actually did eat sugar directly from the sugar bag. It took a very long time before she finally went to a therapist. She used to add sugar to regular Pepsi, to frosted cornflakes, to pre-made sugary drink mixes, to all kinds of things, even to a lot of savory foods. This happened for about five years before she ended up in the hospital, type 2 diabetes, kidney damage, eye damage, hypertension, and depression and she still didn't quit until about six months later, when she finally got a handle on it. She has made it about six months now with no added sugar, and reversed the diabetes already.

• lily_dee23
    lily_dee23 Posts: 4 Member
    Ok. No sugar directly out of the bag :/ more along the lines of sugary treats :S. I'm ok normally. But if I have one spoon of ice cream /for example. Sets off a domino effect. Basically eat junk until I feel sick :( or feel Pretty well yuck/dissapointed overall. It's like I'm purposely sabotaging myself?? Wah? Maybe my motivation needs to be more purposeful (thinking out loud). Although, *winogelato, your thoughts on this topic makes sense here. I'll abstain from the *sugary treats till my Will power's solid.
  • derek0311
    derek0311 Posts: 31 Member
    I totally understand the feeling. I love processed sugar. Pastries, cokes, candy, ice cream, you name it. What I did was I replaced a bad habit with a good one. Cokes for example I gave them up cold turkey which left me with horrible headaches and I was very irritable. So I began drinking unsweetened ice tea. After I began working out and running I wasn't staying hydrated enough with tea so I auit tea and now drink water exclusively. As for the treats I keep squares of 72% cocoa on hand I have one square after every meal. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, (skipping meals just makes you more hungry its a short term gain long term loss kinda thing). As far as the other sweets ive been getting that fix from fresh fruits and sometimes I'll add plain yogurt or fresh cream. It took about two months but I dont crave the processed sugar like I did now I crave fresh fruit which I still limit cause you can still over do it on fruit.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    lily_dee23 wrote: »
    Ok. No sugar directly out of the bag :/ more along the lines of sugary treats :S. I'm ok normally. But if I have one spoon of ice cream /for example. Sets off a domino effect. Basically eat junk until I feel sick :( or feel Pretty well yuck/dissapointed overall. It's like I'm purposely sabotaging myself?? Wah? Maybe my motivation needs to be more purposeful (thinking out loud). Although, *winogelato, your thoughts on this topic makes sense here. I'll abstain from the *sugary treats till my Will power's solid.

You probably should look into getting therapy for your eating issues.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I could spend $1275 for a course to learn how to not eat cookies in the cupboard; but I think I'll just go with my current plan, which is not putting cookies in the cupboard.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Maybe my motivation needs to be more purposeful (thinking out loud).

This is important.

Like WinoGelato, I think the specifics matter a lot when it comes to putting together a strategy.

For example, I initially cut out added sugar entirely, since I was using it for emotional stuff, and then as I thought through when I have discipline and when I do not I realized some stuff, like that I rarely ate sweet things or overate them in my own house (and when I did it was solely after I decided to buy/bake something to treat myself due to a bad day, never just snacking), and that I mostly overate sweet stuff at work, because I (a) had this idea that if something appeared it was a good reason to eat it, and (b) eating stuff (and usually what was most available was sweet) was a good way to procrastinate or deal with stress or compensate for being the only one at work very late or something I'd be tempted to do if it was 8 pm and I hadn't had anything since lunch.

And once I started eating I'd usually keep going.

So what worked for me was hard rules on not snacking (other than a pre-planned, food from home) at work, period. Once I got out of the habit I stopped thinking constantly about whatever was available, although I will make rare exceptions for something really special (as in cut out something else to make room). Also, continued hard rules on not eating for self-comfort. And, on the other hand, I usually have a dessert after dinner, when I have no self-control problems and which also means if I want something in the afternoon I can remind myself that instead I'll have my after dinner ice cream if I don't use up the calories.

Not snacking at work took a few days (but really no longer) to adjust to and when I've falling out of the habit and had to readjust (like after December and again after a biking trip where we ate constantly), it again only took a few days. During those days I let myself munch on low cal things like raw vegetables but more importantly would write down when I was wanting to eat and why and remind myself of why I wanted to make these changes and what was important to me in a positive way -- like how I wanted to eat, not just what I didn't want to eat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @liby_dee23 a year ago I cold turkey left sugar and all grain because I was not able to taper off of carbs. Just finished Dr. William Davis' Wheat Belly Total Health and medically speaking I am leaning to the science behind his books that the carb addiction comes from eating wheat products in many of us. He has several Youtube videos that will let you see and hear his research on the subject. Last week or two I added back some sugar as a test. It does not make be feel better or even as good but it was not the end of the world. I plan to stay off sugars and grain because I did gain weight eating them. :)

We are all somewhat different and over time we can learn what works and does not work in our personal cases.

Best of success.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    The damage has been done man!!! How do i repeal what's been said?????

I find your posts most amusing. Please please continue.

• goldthistime
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Maybe my motivation needs to be more purposeful (thinking out loud).

This is important.

Like WinoGelato, I think the specifics matter a lot when it comes to putting together a strategy.

For example, I initially cut out added sugar entirely, since I was using it for emotional stuff, and then as I thought through when I have discipline and when I do not I realized some stuff, like that I rarely ate sweet things or overate them in my own house (and when I did it was solely after I decided to buy/bake something to treat myself due to a bad day, never just snacking), and that I mostly overate sweet stuff at work, because I (a) had this idea that if something appeared it was a good reason to eat it, and (b) eating stuff (and usually what was most available was sweet) was a good way to procrastinate or deal with stress or compensate for being the only one at work very late or something I'd be tempted to do if it was 8 pm and I hadn't had anything since lunch.

And once I started eating I'd usually keep going.

So what worked for me was hard rules on not snacking (other than a pre-planned, food from home) at work, period. Once I got out of the habit I stopped thinking constantly about whatever was available, although I will make rare exceptions for something really special (as in cut out something else to make room). Also, continued hard rules on not eating for self-comfort. And, on the other hand, I usually have a dessert after dinner, when I have no self-control problems and which also means if I want something in the afternoon I can remind myself that instead I'll have my after dinner ice cream if I don't use up the calories.

Not snacking at work took a few days (but really no longer) to adjust to and when I've falling out of the habit and had to readjust (like after December and again after a biking trip where we ate constantly), it again only took a few days. During those days I let myself munch on low cal things like raw vegetables but more importantly would write down when I was wanting to eat and why and remind myself of why I wanted to make these changes and what was important to me in a positive way -- like how I wanted to eat, not just what I didn't want to eat.

As usual, good advice.

I find that if I really really desperately want something sweet, I'm best to not have any. Because chances are excellent I won't be able to stop at a 200 calorie treat. I have to either schedule them in as lemurcat12 advises, or have them when I'm almost ambivalent about having them. The more protein I get in, the less I desire them anyway.

• ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    The damage has been done man!!! How do i repeal what's been said?????

I find your posts most amusing. Please please continue.

Hey look at you going and making my day!!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    edited September 2015
    zyxst wrote: »

Or a way to adjust to it. I find that I tend to "oversnack" or overeat if I have certain foods in the house.
    I try and make it a "safer" environment, by only ever having fresh vegetables and low calorie fruit. That way it's harder to go overboard on calories even if you do on the food.

With sugar, I substitute things I like to have for healthier alternatives. Today I was killing for some ice cream (literally!). I managed to fit a can of coconut milk in my macros, froze that with some protein powder and...it works!

Find ways to deal with your issues, just being aware of them won't necessarily change things in my experience :)

Good luck to you! And if you had a bad day, learn from it and move on to the next!

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you are not addicted to sugar, lack of will power/self control does not equal addiction.

do you binge on fruit, vegetables, and bread too?

BPZ857z.gif

you forgot to mention - sugar isn't the devil!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you are not addicted to sugar, lack of will power/self control does not equal addiction.

do you binge on fruit, vegetables, and bread too?

BPZ857z.gif

you forgot to mention - sugar isn't the devil!

Ahm...this confused me :neutral:
    He didn't say that, did he? O.o
  • MEHR0908
    MEHR0908 Posts: 108 Member
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

I recently cut out all refined sugars and white breads/pastas. I also felt as if I was addicted to sugar and so I quit cold turkey. It took a week of feeling like crud but after a good 5 - 7 days I started to feel awesome. I had more energy, was in an all around better mood, felt less stressed out and anxious, and all of my cravings stopped completely. I am just one person, and this is what happened with me- so you might have to kind of experiment around and see what works best for YOU. If just one spoonful leads to you eating a whole tub of ice cream, then I would say don't even have one spoon full. Frozen strawberries or bananas (mashed up or chopped up with NOTHING added to them) are really tasty and a great "treat".
  • goldthistime

Although there were mental/willpower adjustments I had to make in addressing my desire to "abuse" sugar that a therapist could have conceivably helped me with, abstaining as much as possible for a short period of time helped me stop my bad habits, watching my macros (especially that protein!), and getting lots of exercise helped too. PMS days remained an issue, but I addressed it by adding calories those days, including more starchy carbs. Not a safe time to have treats for me.

Btw, have any of you ever been to a therapist? I set up a session for my teenage daughter at one point and when she refused to go, I went in her place. Smug man, who told me way too much about how he "counselled" his poor wife. Hopefully an anomaly, but left me with a poor view of therapists.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Although there were mental/willpower adjustments I had to make in addressing my desire to "abuse" sugar that a therapist could have conceivably helped me with, abstaining as much as possible for a short period of time helped me stop my bad habits, watching my macros (especially that protein!), and getting lots of exercise helped too. PMS days remained an issue, but I addressed it by adding calories those days, including more starchy carbs. Not a safe time to have treats for me.

Btw, have any of you ever been to a therapist? I set up a session for my teenage daughter at one point and when she refused to go, I went in her place. Smug man, who told me way too much about how he "counselled" his poor wife. Hopefully an anomaly, but left me with a poor view of therapists.

I see a therapist weekly for depression and anxiety issues and I couldn't have lost the weight I did without her. While there are certainly bad therapists out there and it can take a couple of tries to find someone you work well with, it seems kind of insulting to judge all therapists by one bad encounter.
  • goldthistime
    edited September 2015

I see a therapist weekly for depression and anxiety issues and I couldn't have lost the weight I did without her. While there are certainly bad therapists out there and it can take a couple of tries to find someone you work well with, it seems kind of insulting to judge all therapists by one bad encounter.

Yes, you are right. Maybe what I should have said rather than "left me with a poor view of therapists", is, "The experience coloured my view of therapists and I would be reluctant to try that route again". Certainly glad to hear that you have found someone that you work well with.

ETA: I have two friends who are psychologists, and whose practices include some therapy sessions (lots of evaluations/metrics and referrals too). I value their advice, but really no more than the advice of my other friends. Maybe it's an inappropriate bias I have, but I am surprised how often people are advised to see therapists. Just not a direction I am likely to take, so not one I am likely to advise others to take.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    @liby_dee23 a year ago I cold turkey left sugar and all grain because I was not able to taper off of carbs. Just finished Dr. William Davis' Wheat Belly Total Health and medically speaking I am leaning to the science behind his books that the carb addiction comes from eating wheat products in many of us. He has several Youtube videos that will let you see and hear his research on the subject. Last week or two I added back some sugar as a test. It does not make be feel better or even as good but it was not the end of the world. I plan to stay off sugars and grain because I did gain weight eating them. :)

We are all somewhat different and over time we can learn what works and does not work in our personal cases.

Best of success.

ignore all of this.

wheat belly is not "science"…

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    It's virtually impossible to cut out all sugar--or, at least, I don't have the energy to do it. I try to limit my intake to 30 grams/day. Very doable, and I feel much better.