Lentils

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I haven't found a recipe I totally love yet. They don't need pre-soaking. Sometimes I add them to a soup near the end for extra texture.

Here's a classic recipe, Lentils and Lamb. Which could easily be converted to lentils and ham, or lentils and chicken. You get the drift.

If you just google " lentil recipes " as I have just done you will find 2 365 000 results and I am sure there will be a few really delicious recipes among them.
    I eat a lot of lentils and prepare them the Middle Eastern way, cook them according to Spanish recipes, make all kinds of European lentil soups & stews when it gets cooler and use them in salads or cold ( lentil bowl instead of rice bowl ) when the temps rise. I also often substitute beans or other legumes/pulses with lentils, because I don't have to pre-soak them. I also make a lot of Indian food with them.
    I love to just mix Mexican Pico de Gallo with lentils and add extra cilantro and lime juice...

• Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    Lentil kofte is devine wrapped in lettuce:

•soak 1cup lentil and 1cup fine bulgur wheat(separately). Leave aside
    • sauté 1 large onion chopped finely and some crushed garlic, add tomato puree and herbs and spices that you would usually add to meatball mixture.
    •add everything into a large bowl and mix in chopped parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Make up small oval balls slightly bigger than walnuts.
    • serve with lettuce.

So the lentils and bulgur aren't cooked, or am I reading your recipe wrong?
  • zikarra
    zikarra Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    German lentil stew: (2 servings)
    2 Carrots,chopped into cubes or circles
    1 large onion
    50g red lentils
    50g brown lentils
    50g of chopped celery root (better with,but you can leave it out)
    200g of potatoes (the best for boiling kind)
    2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
    2 cubes of vegetable stock
    1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar (more to taste)
    gravy stock cube or powder (1 tablespoon)
    Pepper,Salt to taste

Fry onion ,carrot and celerygently in a pan until softened and browning,add about 1.5l of water,add vegetable stock cube and all the spices+vinegar as well as the brown lentils (the ones that need no presoaking and cook within 40min),after 20 min add the potatoes and red lentils and then taste inbetween and adjust to taste with salt/stock cube/vinegar.

One of my favorites :) Love it with egg based noodles for leftovers.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Okapi42 wrote: »

• sauté 1 large onion chopped finely and some crushed garlic, add tomato puree and herbs and spices that you would usually add to meatball mixture.
    •add everything into a large bowl and mix in chopped parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Make up small oval balls slightly bigger than walnuts.
    • serve with lettuce.

I have no idea about this recipe, but in general, bulgur is not cooked, just soaked. And if these are red lentils, again they can be jsut soaked in hot water.
  • healthydanni
    healthydanni Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If you find them gassy, add some cumin. ;)
    For new ideas, Google "lentil burgers" and "lentil sloppy joes."
    Enjoy.

Lentil shepherds pie is my favorite. The minimalist baker has a great recipe
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mujadara is a huge hit at my house. It's a Lebanese dish consisting or lentils, rice, and caramelized onions. Even my toddler loves it (okay, my toddler is weird and keeps requesting snails for dinner). I've made it with quinoa instead of rice before and it turned out pretty good.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I asked! Some really awesome suggestions here. Plus a laugh! Snails for dinner? Brilliant.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Okapi42 wrote: »

• serve with lettuce.

Ooops soory. The fine bulgur is just soaked through with boiling water. And yes lentils are boiled in separate pot.
  • ljmars92
    ljmars92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ina Garten's lentil sausage soup is fantastic! The recipe calls for homemade chicken stock, but unless I have it on hand I use store bought. I also use turkey kielbasa, omit the parm, and only use half the olive oil to make it lower cal.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lentil-sausage-soup-recipe.html
  • Alasha321
    Alasha321 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So whole lenails do not need to be presoaked. But they definitely benifit from it if they give you gas. Livestrong has a good guide on how to do it, boil 3 minutes, soak over night etc.

I adore lentils, french lentils are my favorite. I like them in a soup of carrots, celery, onion, veg broth, season to taste, generally oregano and bay leaf. Then add a little red wine vinegar.

Also red lentils cook up amazingly fast, very easy on stomach, and are awesome when added to a rice pilaf
  • candiceprov31
    candiceprov31 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This sausage and lentil stew is AMAZING!
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/10/lentil-sausage-stew/
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I make lentil soup too, very yummy and sometimes I'll add sausage to it. But lately I've been sprouting my lentils and then adding them to everything! I love the flavor and the protein boost is great.
  • Alasha321
    Alasha321 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh Candiceprovide budgetbytes is one of my favorite website. She got me hooked on lentil tacos!
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Red lentil and squash ( and/or pumpkin) soup!! Soooo yummy!
  • Stayfit72
    Stayfit72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Red lentil curry pinch of yum
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love dal but I make it with half cauliflower as well. I also use it as fillings for tacos or make a super simple curry lentil soup.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I love this thread!!! I'm making brown lentils right now with onion, a hot Hungarian pepper and I added a bit of hot Italian sausage and chopped tomatoes. It will be better tomorrow over rice or quiona and hot sauce. I love the taco idea and will do that soon.

I also have fallen in love with red lentils. I bought a Ethiopian spice mixture berbere that I add in. Onion, garlic, a hot pepper, & ginger sauteed, add in the rinsed red lentils, water and the spice mixture. Heaven!! You can also add sweet potato or butternut squash or coconut milk.

Lentils are super cheap, fast and delicious and super versatile . I've never had excess gas from them, but I eat a lot of beans.

I would love to make a lentil/nut meatloaf but have yet to find the right recipe.
  • melizabird919
    melizabird919 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've made this a few times and love it. It makes a ton of food, but it's really quick and easy to make.

http://pinchofyum.com/easy-red-lentil-dhal

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    go to allrecipes.com and put in lentils as your search ingredient. you'll be overwhelmed by the amount of DELICIOUS recipes out there. I just at the Rhinelander lentil soup today for lunch. YUMMO!!!
  • KimmiRoRo
    KimmiRoRo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carrabba's has an awesome Sausage & Lentil soup that you can find the recipe for by Googling. Tastiest when you use spicy italian sausage.