Raw vegan - perfect way to regain Heath

Options
I've been on the journey for being raw vegan. This has been an exciting but challenging. It requires dedication, determination and discipline.

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't work for me. It would be too hard to get protein.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it would require more dedication, determination and discipline than I could possibly muster..
  • Joyinlife811
    Joyinlife811 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making a healthy lifestyle change :) im not on a raw vegan diet as i like cooked meals so im on HCLF vegan diet. New to this community so i think i will look for the group mentioned by someone else:)
  • Joyinlife811
    Joyinlife811 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    sorry that is a myth about protein :) we vegans here that all the time.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Yes it would be too hard for ME to get protein. I have some diet limitations due to other health issues.

Please read again. I said me, not everyone.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I think that for someone who is educated in making choices which will meet their protein needs it would be easier. However, some choose to change their diet without consideration for making sure their bodies nutritional needs are being met.

OP, it sounds like you have taken the time to learn to do this the right way. I personally don't have the dedication. I admire yours.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Man, I'd hate never be able to go visit friends or eat out again.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had a close friend who was a raw vegan for close to a year and loved it. She only stopped because she found it hard to stay warm in the winter. It wasn't that her food was always cold (it wasn't) but something about the foods that made staying warm in -20C difficult.

She is now a vegetraian but tends to revert back to raw veganism in the summer.

We joke that my LCHF diet (which is heavily leaning towards being a carnivore) is the anti-diet to her WOE. Both of us eat in a way that makes us feel healthier. It's quite neat. Amazingly, we can still share a fair number of dishes at a meal.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

If your friends like you they'll at least buy some salad mixings for you, I'd think.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I was a raw vegan for a while, and I did have a dehydrator, and I loved it. I felt fantastic and the food was great. This was not the 80-10-10 raw veganism, mind.

It just got to be prohibitively expensive to eat that way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Ouch. Sounds like you need new and better friends.

Or maybe I wouldn't want to be the 'pain in the *kitten*' friend who needs special food. Funny how nobody's mentioned the eating out part though. Oh vacations would be so much fun (not).

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Or maybe I wouldn't want to be the 'pain in the *kitten*' friend who needs special food. Funny how nobody's mentioned the eating out part though. Oh vacations would be so much fun (not).

Bring food, then you are no longer the pain in the *kitten* who is waiting for others to feed him.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am not clear why one undertakes a food plan that requires "dedication, determination and discipline." Does someone who does that generally find life boring and needs a focus?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I am not clear why one undertakes a food plan that requires "dedication, determination and discipline." Does someone who does that generally find life boring and needs a focus?

For some people they make the choice based on what they feel is ethically appropriate. Many things that we feel strongly about require some level of dedication.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

My world doesn't revolve around food, nor do my friends care what I am eating or what I put on my plate. When going to dinner at friends' homes....I almost always bring a meal. One, I know there is something I can eat. Two, my mama taught me not to be rude.

And no matter my dietary restrictions, I have never had an issue getting something at a restaurant....and always had amazing vacations. I do remember the last recount of your vacation though, so I think we have very different ideas of what makes a good time and what to get bothered by, so different strokes.

[Edited by MFP Mods]

Well said. There's more than one way to be a 'pain in the a*** friend'. Also lol at posters who repeatedly post whiney entitled posts about eating out then attack others for have 'not fun' vacations. Amnesia is a terrible thing...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    karastogi wrote: »
    I've been on the journey for being raw vegan. This has been an exciting but challenging. It requires dedication, determination and discipline.
    It is easy to switch to a plant based diet by eating beans, nuts, tofu, lentils, broccoli, yellow squash, green peas, corn. Going raw will require a little more planning: nuts, sunflower seeds and other seeds and leafy greens and other vegetables.
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a vegan, but just joined MFP to lose some weight.
    I want to kick out most or preferably all the processed foods, sauces and breads. Then move to a much more raw food diet.
    I don't see what the big issues against raw food diet are (actually the same old tired excuses- a good one about raw food means you can't get warm! Lol). I think the negative people just want to project they're own personality failings on to others'.
    You just eat fruit veggies beans nuts and salads (never been eating out anywhere where you can't get a salad!) etc...just without messing with them, or covering them with cr@p.