Devil's advocate: 1200 calories for petite/short women?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• victorianchick
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and 37 soon to be 38 years and am sedentary. I eat around 1,100 cals a day. I'm eating lean protein, sometimes some beef thrown in, salads, fruits veggies and low fat yogurt with berries. I am rarely hungry. I eat sugar once a week and I try to stay away from white stuff.

Everyone tells me I should eat more. That I need to eat 1,500 or 2,000 cals to lose weight. that's great if I were like everyone else, but I'm not. I feel healthier and less groggy than I did before. Granted, I am in weight loss mode right now and when I get to where I want to be I'll adjust but the idea that short me needs the same amount of food as someone 5'7 doesn't make sense. Maybe the experts disagree with me, and thats fine. At this point I really dont care. I finally found something that works for me and I'm using it.

Bottom line: Everyone has different bodies. Figure out what works for you.
  • achristian2004
    achristian2004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 8", that's right ladies, I officially fit in that dwarf category, :-) I agree that everyone should do what works for them. You know your body and you know what works for you (while still feeling good and having energy). Do you know what 4' 8" is? It is the average size of a 9 y/old, just to put in perspective of those that don't realize how small that actually is.

I'm in the process of losing weight and have been doing 1200 (net) for a few months threw MFP and have not lost any weight...have actually put some back on.

I was steadily losing weight slowly over a couple years when I was just exercising and eating healthy without stalking my calorie intake. To be honest, since I have been tracking, I feel like I am eating more because I see I have room to eat, whether or not I actually need the food. When I just do what my body asks for (seemingly less than 1200), I lose weight and feel great.

By the way, I would also like to point out that most standard health charts don't go down to 4' 8". I believe they do not go below 4' 10", so the "standards" don't even include us little ladies.
  • jzsunshine61
    jzsunshine61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but your "Doctor" is a complete quack if she told you to eat 700-800 calories a day and expected you to exercise. She sounds like a sadist.
  • 1PearlyMargaret
    1PearlyMargaret Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am SOOOO glad I am not the only petite female out there! I am 4"11 and 110 pounds. I "try" to stay within the 1200 calorie range, but lets be honest.. I LOVE TO EAT!!~! So I just consume as many nutrient dense foods I can before giving into my beloved chocolate and beer so that I can even the score (balance the good calories from the empty ones) on my nutrition side. I weight lift/run three times a week so I am confident in not gaining too much weight. In fact, I don't mind if I go over a little on the caloric side, especially when I eat loads of protein. As far as my diet is concerned (regardless of how much calories I consume - if I even remember to count them), my diet is "normally' squeaky clean. I am the gal that prefers fruit over cake; meat over pasta, and veggies in between meals. As long as I keep craving those types of food, I don't keep track too much about my calories. As long as my muscles keep building, I am happy. My body really does tell me when I've had enough and my heart tells me I am staying healthy. Healthy heart = happy me! =)

P.S. I love carb cycling if I do need to loose a couple pounds. I have found this really works well for me. Read the book Carb Cycling by Chris Powell or look it up on the internet if you are interested. Basically it is a cycle of high carb and low carb every other day to throw your body off so that it doesn't get used to one diet plan. The high carb days gives your fuel and energy while the low carb days (aka high protein days) are the days that really burn the fat. It's actually quite interesting and it works if you work it. There is one cheat day a week and his meal plans are very easy with lots of different options to choose from. Anyhoo, just thought I'd share the only diet I have successfully been on. It has worked for me in the past and it works on every successful Extreme Weight Loss contestant Chris and Heidi Powell has had on their ABC show. I'm not a paid promoter, just a fan of the show and their workout ethics! =)
  • WyrdSyster
    WyrdSyster Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    New to both MFP & carb counting. At nearly 47, 5 feet zero inches tall & currently overweight for me at 116, MFP calculator is recommending 1200 calories a day for largely sedentary me. I am staying fairly close to this and eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. I have had to get inventive with upping my low calorie veggies and eliminating certain things so far. So far no weight lost, but it is early days still. I have over 15 pounds to lose to reach my goal. I do run but not more than a few miles or a few times per week. I am really hoping this works for me, I will keep persevering until something does!
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 2 activity setting very active to maintain I actually lose on 2000 calories I need to be mindful to eat back 1/2 my excersize calories.. myfitnesspal gives me 2010 to maintain and then on top of that I have my calories burned am generally eating anywhere between 2200 calories and 2700 calories more than that on a night out obviously!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 1200 is below my BMR at my current weight 190lbs and will also be under my BMR at my goal weight 115lbs.

1200 calories would be a daily deficit of around 1000 calories for me.

I could never make it through the day on 1200 I'd have to work out lots to get that as my NET for the day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    2013 THREAD
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm 4'10 and on a weight loss journey too!
    I started off at 142, I'm down 15 pounds to 127 now.
    But i have no problem eating 1200 calories or less.
    But i have realized over the past two weeks that I seem to lose when I eat more.
    i am not very active (desk job, school, limited exercise time)
    A couple of days I have splurged more than I should have (2 pieces of pizza and a breadstick from pizza hut on top of my entire day)
    and I was thinking "okay, it's fine I'll start over tomorrow"
    and then the next day I was down about .75 pounds.
    Ive done that a few more times and seem to be keeping the pattern with that.
    so I seem to lose more when I eat closer to 1350-1450 when my normal is 1100-1200.
  • jacklacorte
    jacklacorte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator to gauge my calorie intake and am also using it to try to help my wife who is 5'0 and 104 lbs.:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm

If MFP gives you that warning that looks like an error when you're under 1200 calories then oh well. Everybody (every body) is different and petite women definitely can't follow the general guidelines set by MFP.

Good luck to all!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    At 4'11" I maintain on 2400kcal per day, I'm 165lbs down from 252lbs. I am almost 33. I doubt that 1200 would suddenly be too much for me at goal and would be pretty horrified if it was. My grandma maintains on that, she's 69 and my height and gets less than 1000 steps per day due to rheumatoid arthritis.
  • TaniaCR
    TaniaCR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand this post was written back in 2012! However it is such an important topic! This blanket 1200 calories mantra for ALL women is inappropriate. 1200 calories is for the AVERAGE woman the AVERAGE women is calculated at the western standard of 5 foot 4!! Also that would include moderate daily exercise. So tough luck if you don't fit the average! I am just under 5 foot 2 (157cm), I am not a fan of strenuous exercise but I LOVE walking! For me to maintain my weight I need about 1,100 a day (sometimes it can be less). For me to loose weight it's between (1000 - 900) I find it reasonably comfortable with a good water intake. The BMI states 50kg as a healthy weight for me because of my petite frame it says I can go lower but I like 50kg. I would just like to let people know who bleat the mantra 1200 calories is tooooooooo restrictive is most of us overestimate the amount of food we need. 70% of us are overweight (and getting bigger!) because of this estimation. We do not need as much food as we think.