Did I really burned 400 cal by walking 1hr?

Options
I'm 68kg and 5' 5". I went for a walk today and covered 6 km in 1hr. I don't have any tracker with me so used some websites to figure out cal burned. I'm getting between 420-450.
Can I safely log 400 cal in my workout?

Replies

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can log that, but probably shouldn't eat all of it back.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Lots of websites, MFP and machines overestimate burns. Many people recommend eating back (or logging) half to three quarters of what they say.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit too much, honestly. My HRM used to tell me that I burned 220 calories in 30 minutes but I was 77 kilos at the time (I'm 5'5" too).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I would log something closer to 250 calories. I am 191 lb (compared to your 150) and my tracker gives me a burn of about 280 calories at 3.5 mph (your 6 km comes out to about 3.7 mph)
  • moonagedaydream72
    Options
    If you are walking to burn calories, I would recommend using the Pacer app. It tracks calories much more accurately than the entries in MFP and can be synced with MFP.
  • lakshva
    lakshva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Huh! I thought its too good to be real. will go with 250 cal for the day and no I don't plan to eat it back.
    Pacer sounds interesting. Will set it up and see how it goes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my jawbone gives me about that for walking an hour...it's not just time tho it's the pace you are going as well.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tracks on my phone says 142 cals for 2.9 km at 6.26 km/h. 83 kg.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My fitbit charge HR gives me 300 for a very brisk 40 minute walk over hilly terrain, it seems pretty accurate in the time I have had it (I'm 75kg).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my jawbone gives me about that for walking an hour...it's not just time tho it's the pace you are going as well.

It also is your weight. heavier people will burn more than lighter ones at the same pace.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Log 1/2, and you'll be close.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it, eat back half, BAM! You're safe!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    At roughly 150 pounds you net somewhere around 44 calories per mile based on METs and the study used for this article.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    There are several factors involved. pace, heart rate, weight, height, etc...

I wear a Garmin fenix 3 and chest strap heart rate monitor. I am 5' 9", and weigh 178 lbs. I did a 6.3 mile walk today in 1 hour 32 minutes. That is a 4.1 mph pace, and I burned 765 calories according to my Garmin.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd be very weary about logging it as 450 without my tracker confirming it but then I have been known to doubt myself at times! If it were me, I would probably half that number - log it at around 225 and be a lot more comfortable with that. I wouldn't like to over-estimate and then eat more than my allowance as a result. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Log it, eat back half, BAM! You're safe!

This!

Make sure you always eat back at least half of your exercise calories.

You must fuel your burns.

MFP calorie limits are already set to make you lose weight.

If you don't eat what you earn exercising, you'll be undereating and risking serious health problems and running out of steam.

Slow and sustainable wins the weight loss battle.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    pace , time taken , hills or flat , general fitness , weight... all these things add up

i walk a lot, allow myself 50 cals per mile but that will be an estimate only

remember you are burning calories while searching for the answer and you do need to fuel your body especially when you start out not knowing how it will react to new exercise , fitness and diet changes etc
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am an inch taller than you but weigh 30 odd kgs more and I burn about 4 cals a minute at that pace according to my HRM, so 240 in an hour. Fitbit gives me about the same.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I burn on average 100 per mile (2.2 kms) which takes me just under 15 mins - so that actually sounds about right for your burn :smile: The faster you walk the more you burn :smiley: