Uncontrollable hunger from blood donation. Please read! All responses are appreciated!

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Eat all the foods, relax and get back to your normal self in a few days.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    People have different responses to blood donation. Some pass out. Others feel no difference.

Hang in there. You'll improve.

Blood donations save lives. That's a good thing you did. Woot for you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    shonako wrote: »
    42 donations and I haven't had this happen to me, but I wouldn't worry if it's not a true medical issue (the only way to find out if it is is to see a doctor. It's up to you to decide if that's necessary or not). It could be due to the sudden drop in blood sugar. Did you have juice or something before you left the donation site?

I did not eat before donating even though I was told to several times. Could this be why this is happening?

Yes not eating could def contribute to this.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat before (not necessarily immediately before. Just eat better than usual at your normal meal times) AND immediately after (take advantage of the cookies and juice!). Physiologically, your body just sustained a traumatic injury and needs the resources to get back to normal. If you don't go in with a game plan next time around, you may find yourself in the same situation. I do hope there will be a next time. :)
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thanks again everyone for the responses!
    Here's an update.
    It's been 2 days since I've donated blooded and I just left the gym. I had lifted heavy as usual when I go to the gym and I ended up feeling really light headed and started seeing spots. I left immediately. I don't think anything is wrong with me I just think that my body reacts differently. I haven't really binged today which is a good thing but I need to be able to workout!
    I have a workout with some cadets from the army Thursday and I don't want to seem weak or anything. I will take the advice of eating a lot of iron and see how that works.
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    mswanag wrote: »
    I was feeling the same way, yes donating has been disruptive to my weight loss, but it is worth it to save lives. I hope you feel better! It took me a full 48 hours to go back to working out and I still felt a bit light headed. My advice is to rest as much as you can so you can get back on the horse.

Very glad to hear that I'm not alone. I went to the gym today and I started feeling very light headed. I had pushed myself to finish my weight training session but I was unable to do cardio. How long did it take before you stopped feeling the effects?
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I donated a couple weeks ago. I was starving for about 48 hours and light headed for about 72. Everyone reacts differently - I just plan to take that week off when it's donation time and turn my thoughts to all those my donation will help out.