HELP PLEASE!!

Options
so I have been on a diet for about 2 months now. But now I'm stuck at the same weight for about 2 weeks now. I was at 255 now I'm at 235!! Still eating about 1200 to 1400 calories. I walk every other day 3 to 4 miles. I'm about to say *kitten* THIS DIET!!! Pls any advice is good advice. By the way I'm a 33 male about 5'8. Thank you

Replies

• Grinder777
    Grinder777 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    plz eat "Still eating about 1200 to 1400 calories" you are destroying yourself. You should be at 1800-2000 at least. You have lost 10lbs a month and still complaining?
    I am 6,5 and I was aiming at 2-3 a Month, anything more and you wouldnt like the result.
  • biggie569
    biggie569 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at what your macros are? For example are you eating 50% of your calories as carbs and 40% fat. If so you should look at shuffling them around some. Here is a link that might help give you some more information http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html
  • GrantKitt
    GrantKitt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I had the same problem. I started at 240lbs 15 months ago. For the first few months I averaged 10lbs until I hit the 215-220 mark, then I leveled off for a few weeks. I did some research and learned a few things. The most important was "Your body is very smart and is adapting to your diet/exercise routine". Every so often you have to change things up and throw your body a "curve ball". Everybody is different, what worked for me, most likely won't work for you. That being said, the best advice that I can give you is: Lose the "I am on a diet" mentality. That will destroy your effort. Get in the mindset that you are NOT on a diet, you are simply eating better, making better choices. And do a lot of research on foods and how they affect the body. Treat yourself every once in awhile to keep your sanity (a free meal or snack).

A great place to start is and article on acaloriecounter.com. It is a long read, but extremely helpful.

Best of Luck and don't give up!!!
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! 20 pounds in 2 months is a lot!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue losing weight either eat less or move more. That is why you shouldn't start with a big deficit because when you stall you don't have any wiggle room to lower your calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary or providing more details would probably help to get you more specific advice, if you're comfortable doing so. Until then, this is my general advice. Maybe something will help you out.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Don't go more than a 500 calorie deficit. Keep carbs below 150.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Additionally, are you using a food scale to calculate your consumption?
  • xlb57
    xlb57 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    At first look your calories seem very low in my opinion. Google "TDEE Calculator". Then, plug in your stats and activity levels. The total calories that result are approximately how many you can consume in one day, given your stats and activity levels, to sustain your current weight. Subtract 500 or so from that number and remain consistent. You should start dropping. Once you stop dropping for a few weeks, reduce another few hundred or recalculate. Rinse and repeat!

Hang in there. You can do it!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Because of your stunning weight loss over your first couple months, I'd say you are doing a whole bunch of things right. The weigh will stall once in a while. Stick close to your plan for a few weeks and get satisfaction from reaching other goals, like your fitness plans.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'd start eating more, because males should not go so low! It also makes the diet terribly difficult. No wonder you'd feel like giving up.

Pick a nice reasonable amount, enjoy what you can within those limits, and sit back and have patience. It will work! It might not show every week, but that's totally normal.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    As a male, you should not be eating such a low amount of calories - this isn't particularly good for your health.

Having said that, if the scales simply aren't shifting - i'd say you are eating a lot more than you think. Are you weighing all of your food accurately? Are you logging everything? 1400 calories a day for a 5'8 male is quite a substantial deficit so technically, you should be losing if you 'were' eating at that amount.

You have done brilliantly so far so don't worry - you'll get this :)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Because of your stunning weight loss over your first couple months, I'd say you are doing a whole bunch of things right. The weigh will stall once in a while. Stick close to your plan for a few weeks and get satisfaction from reaching other goals, like your fitness plans.

Not necessarily. The large loss may be unsustainable if the OP is not eating enough. The body first dumps water and will want to drop muscle mass instead of fat.