What kind of exercise is good for belly fat that does not hu

Options
Also,anyone gain weight even though you think your doing good? I have had a few slips on the diet/exercise but have been pretty good.

Replies

• wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The best for belly fat is cardio, cardio, and more cardio...PLUS eating nutritious foods!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Going by your food diary, I would try to cut back on the high carb dinners. Your sodium column is not listed, but I can imagine by the high number of carbs in the list that the sodium level is fairly high too. Try to cut down on sodium if you can. Cardio will help reduce fat from all over your body, while core exercises will help strengthen stomach muscles and start creating some definition.
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Like aerobics and elliptical? Ive lost a good bit but Its where a lot of my weight is that and my boobs unfortunately
  • kparks770
    Options
    yeah lately Ive been having a hard time with some carbs.Sometimes I stay hungry and its not boredom my stomach is actually growling and I get weak.
  • DawnA7230
    DawnA7230 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can't target one specific area of your body for weight loss. You can target toning, but not weight loss. And sadly, when losing weight, the belly is usually the last place to lose.

Your best bet is going to be to eat a healthy diet, watch your calorie intake, and get plenty of exercise. Cardio is great for weight loss.

Depending what kind of exercise you do, you may actually gain some weight. If you are building muscle, you need to keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so you may initially see an increase in your weight, but don't be discouraged. Keep working at eating well and exercising and the weight will start to come off.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. That's what my trainer tells me. You can do all the exercise int he world but until you get rid of the layer of fat over those abs, you'll never see it. So with a good amount of cardio and low carb diet, flat abs are possible.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    you can't really tell your body where to drop the fat from.. kinda sucks i know the best thing you can do is tone your muscles so they look good when the fat comes off.
  • DawnA7230
    DawnA7230 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yeah lately Ive been having a hard time with some carbs.Sometimes I stay hungry and its not boredom my stomach is actually growling and I get weak.

Carbs give you a false sense of hunger. Let me see if I can explain this so that it makes sense.

There's two kinds of carbs; whole and refined. Whole carbs are good for you. Refined carbs are bad for you. The whole carbs breakdown and slowly release their sugar into your bloodstream gradually over time. Refined carbs kind of hit you all at once. You get a sugar-spike. You feel good for a while. When that wears off, you get tired and hungry. While you may have taken in enough calories, or more than enough calories, you have this false sense of hunger compelling you to eat again (and this plays a huge part in weight gain). The refined carbs make for a horrible roller coaster ride.

Try to choose good carbs: whole wheat breads, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, quinoa, and other whole grains. Make sure you have a good balance of carbs/(good)fat/protein.

Protein is great for helping you stay feeling full longer, and building muscle. Make sure your meals and snacks contain protein. When you combine your carbs and your protein you won't find yourself feeling hungry as often and overeating.
  • kparks770
    Options
    yeah I found that greek yougart has protein and I really like it and I do all the whole grains and just discovered quinoa only tried it once not sure how to cook/flavor it.It was ok though.I dont think I like sweet potatoes but everyone talks about them so I may try again.Its been forever since I have tried them and taste buds change.I used to hate asparagus and now I love it could eat it everyday:) and I gained like maybe 3 pds but I think it may be muscle cause I was doing something and I flexed my arm and all of a sudden I got some popeye muscles lol and starting to in my legs too. Well,Maybe I should just watch carbs,try new foods,and different exercises. Thanks guys yall made me feel better.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Going by your food diary, I would try to cut back on the high carb dinners. Your sodium column is not listed, but I can imagine by the high number of carbs in the list that the sodium level is fairly high too. Try to cut down on sodium if you can. Cardio will help reduce fat from all over your body, while core exercises will help strengthen stomach muscles and start creating some definition.

Yes!

Body fat is body fat - no matter where it is. The most sound way to reduce body fat is reduce your carbs. Think of carbs as sugar (uh-oh - here come the "you need carbs" people). When you eat carbs, your body creates insulin. When you produce insulin, you are getting fatter. Your blood is saturated with glucose and that is toxic. Insulin signals fat cells to take up this sugar out of the blood and into the fat cells forming fatty triglycerides. When this is happening, you get fatter. When there is no insulin being secreted in your body - the triglycerides break down and release some glucose (glycogen) into the blood for energy. Thus - you are getting thinner.

This is a super quick note and easy break down on what's going on, but here's the even easier way to look at it.

When you eat carbs - you get fatter. When you don't eat carbs - you get thinner. Try to maximize time spent getting thinner.

Here's my rule of thumb.

Eat: Meat/Fish/Eggs/Poultry/Veggies.

Don't Eat: anything else.

More info at:

www.whole9life.com
    robbwolf.com
    marksdailyapple.com

the book:

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. That's what my trainer tells me. You can do all the exercise int he world but until you get rid of the layer of fat over those abs, you'll never see it. So with a good amount of cardio and low carb diet, flat abs are possible.

Yes.

Add in plenty of heavy lifting. Don't save the weight lifting for after you get thin - do it now. Lift heavy with good form and watch for results.
  • paintmelucky
    Options

Yes!

Body fat is body fat - no matter where it is. The most sound way to reduce body fat is reduce your carbs. Think of carbs as sugar (uh-oh - here come the "you need carbs" people). When you eat carbs, your body creates insulin. When you produce insulin, you are getting fatter. Your blood is saturated with glucose and that is toxic. Insulin signals fat cells to take up this sugar out of the blood and into the fat cells forming fatty triglycerides. When this is happening, you get fatter. When there is no insulin being secreted in your body - the triglycerides break down and release some glucose (glycogen) into the blood for energy. Thus - you are getting thinner.

This is a super quick note and easy break down on what's going on, but here's the even easier way to look at it.

When you eat carbs - you get fatter. When you don't eat carbs - you get thinner. Try to maximize time spent getting thinner.

Here's my rule of thumb.

Eat: Meat/Fish/Eggs/Poultry/Veggies.

Don't Eat: anything else.

More info at:

www.whole9life.com
    robbwolf.com
    marksdailyapple.com

the book:

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf

very nice!
  • amanda_mh
    amanda_mh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can't target specific areas of the body to lose fat. You can do situps till the sun comes up, but belly fat is mostly up to your diet.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Just looked at your food diary from today, so not sure how you eat everyday, but be careful about the ice cream. I thought I was doing great staying under on calories and eating ice cream, but then I hit a 2 week plateau. I cut out most of my sweets and changed my exercise, then the scale started moving in the right direction again.
  • stevemcknight
    Options

Carbs give you a false sense of hunger. Let me see if I can explain this so that it makes sense.

There's two kinds of carbs; whole and refined. Whole carbs are good for you. Refined carbs are bad for you. The whole carbs breakdown and slowly release their sugar into your bloodstream gradually over time. Refined carbs kind of hit you all at once. You get a sugar-spike. You feel good for a while. When that wears off, you get tired and hungry. While you may have taken in enough calories, or more than enough calories, you have this false sense of hunger compelling you to eat again (and this plays a huge part in weight gain). The refined carbs make for a horrible roller coaster ride.

Try to choose good carbs: whole wheat breads, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, quinoa, and other whole grains. Make sure you have a good balance of carbs/(good)fat/protein.

Protein is great for helping you stay feeling full longer, and building muscle. Make sure your meals and snacks contain protein. When you combine your carbs and your protein you won't find yourself feeling hungry as often and overeating.

Well.... there's some kind of bad news for the good carb vs. bad carb point of view. The good news is - whole grains at least do have some nutrients left over. Nothing that isn't found plentiful in animals and vegetables, but at least some.

The bad news comes in two parts.

Wheat will cause most of our stomachs to leak. Yeah - that's fun stuff. Google "leaky gut". It's about enough to never have another "good carb" whole wheat sandwich again.

The other bad news is - carbs break down into the same thing, no matter if good or bad, whole or enriched flour. In the end, it's glucose and fructose. Honestly, I don't see a huge difference between good and bad. If you're pouring sugar in your blood, it's still sugar in your blood, regardless of if it's whole grain or white pasta. I'm not saying eat the crappy stuff, I'm saying don't eat either.

I'm also not saying don't eat carbs (although I will fight to the death in a steel cage match with anyone who claims there are any essential carbs.) By all means, eat all the veggies you want, peppers, onions, eggplant, celery, spinach, tomatoes (yeah - it's a fruit, I know.) - do it - eat them all, super good for you and filled with micro nutrients. Just stay clear of the empty calories - wheat/corn/rice. You'll do just fine with out that junk.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Well.... there's some kind of bad news for the good carb vs. bad carb point of view. The good news is - whole grains at least do have some nutrients left over. Nothing that isn't found plentiful in animals and vegetables, but at least some.

The bad news comes in two parts.

Wheat will cause most of our stomachs to leak. Yeah - that's fun stuff. Google "leaky gut". It's about enough to never have another "good carb" whole wheat sandwich again.

The other bad news is - carbs break down into the same thing, no matter if good or bad, whole or enriched flour. In the end, it's glucose and fructose. Honestly, I don't see a huge difference between good and bad. If you're pouring sugar in your blood, it's still sugar in your blood, regardless of if it's whole grain or white pasta. I'm not saying eat the crappy stuff, I'm saying don't eat either.

I'm also not saying don't eat carbs (although I will fight to the death in a steel cage match with anyone who claims there are any essential carbs.) By all means, eat all the veggies you want, peppers, onions, eggplant, celery, spinach, tomatoes (yeah - it's a fruit, I know.) - do it - eat them all, super good for you and filled with micro nutrients. Just stay clear of the empty calories - wheat/corn/rice. You'll do just fine with out that junk.

Best food related change I made for myself was to follow this advice.
    I no longer suffer from gas or bloating.
    No more out of control hunger. No more insane binges (although if I eat too much fruit, I can go that way but I just eat too much fruit)
    I don't miss eating starchy carbs. Not one bit.
    I finally feel in control when it comes to food and that will lead me to my ultimate success in losing the excess fat.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice and ww pasta! Guess i better cut it to get a flat stomach..... :noway:
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

That is a bit of a simple look at it IMO.

Insulin is also highly anabolic and there are good reasons to spike this around a heavy workout. Muscles require some carbs to be rebuilt also. (Yes, you're body can use protein for an energy source but it is not an efficient one)

Good article on it here. (much better than I can put into words)
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_insulin_advantage_how_to_bulk_and_cut_on_the_same_day

In saying that, I generally agree (especially for people who have been overweight that a lower carb diet can be helpful because of insulin sensitivity) and I pretty much only eat oats/fibrous veggies as carb sources.
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Steve knows his stuff. I've been eating that way for 2 months and the weight is just falling off. 53 lbs. in 13 weeks.