Picky eater needs help

Options
Hello everyone just getting started a couple weeks in Iam a very picky eater as far as fruits and vegetables I dont like many :(. But I love meat and fish also looking for just anything that will help me eat better as far as breakfast,lunch and dinner options without the nasty stuff in it lol Thanks everyone.

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Well, which ones DO you like? Why do you not like the others?

We kinda gotta know things before suggesting other things. xD;
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Drowning veggies in hot sauce and mustard after cooking them in butter and salt (assuming you eat dairy) can often conceal a multitude of plant sins.
  • tjrifewtbast
    tjrifewtbast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh yea I dont like mustard or mayonnaise lol I can do hot sause though thanks
  • tjrifewtbast
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »

About all the eat are apples,carrots,bananas grapes and blueberry
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs, cheese, rice, green beans, pinto beans, peanut butter, peanuts?
  • tjrifewtbast
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Do you eat eggs, cheese, rice, green beans, pinto beans, peanut butter, peanuts?

Yes
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Let's see.... since you only like a couple vegetables and 4 fruits.... try to expand your taste palate by making some simple dishes using your favorites, but incorporate a non favorite into it. It's kind of like hiding the things you don't like into the things you do

For example.
    Apples pair well with cabbage.. .so try blanching some cabbage leaves. then fill them with some lean ground pork and apples. You wrap the "pork/apple" filling into the cabbage leave like you would wrap an egg roll (wrapping technique only) or like wrapping a burrito but closing both ends. Then put a few of those into a baking dish, add about 1/4 layer of chicken stock, then bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes (to cook the pork). It's actually delicious. This way the cabbage takes on the flavor of the apple and pork, but you are getting benefits from the cabbage as well

Hope this helps :)
  • tjrifewtbast
    Options
    Let's see.... since you only like a couple vegetables and 4 fruits.... try to expand your taste palate by making some simple dishes using your favorites, but incorporate a non favorite into it. It's kind of like hiding the things you don't like into the things you do

For example.
    Apples pair well with cabbage.. .so try blanching some cabbage leaves. then fill them with some lean ground pork and apples. You wrap the "pork/apple" filling into the cabbage leave like you would wrap an egg roll (wrapping technique only) or like wrapping a burrito but closing both ends. Then put a few of those into a baking dish, add about 1/4 layer of chicken stock, then bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes (to cook the pork). It's actually delicious. This way the cabbage takes on the flavor of the apple and pork, but you are getting benefits from the cabbage as well

Nice thank you
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    eat what you already like, only count the calories.
  • tjrifewtbast
    Options
    eat what you already like, only count the calories.

Thats what I've been doing and its working Just trying to open my mind to healthy and better foods
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just thought of another way.... I know you didn't say that you liked zucchini, but definitely try this. Make "zoodles". That's zucchini noodles and use those as your pasta with your favorite low calorie pasta sauce. If you have a spiralizer, you can you that to make your noodles, but if you don't, just use a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler. Take a zucchini, and use that peeler on the zucchini making long strands until there is no more, then drop those into a pop of boiling water for just a couple minutes (you don't want them mushy). Or you can also just drop those into your pasta sauce to cook for just a minute or two. I'm telling you, you won't think you're eating zucchini :) Top with some chicken or lean ground beef and you've got a dish similar to spaghetti.

I uses my sprializer also called a spirooli ($30.00 when I bought it), but also used the peeler until I got my spiralzer by Paderno

Here's a demo of a spiralizer, but remember a peeler works fine too....
    https://youtu.be/msS25T5nOuo

Both of these dishes I made are low calorie/low carb but high protein../

This is a dish I made using my peeler. It is baked quail breasts over zucchini noodles
    LampGChipotleMustardMarinatedQuailatopZucchiniStylePasta_zps4a3811aa.jpg

And another dish of chicken over spiralilzed zucchini noodles, but in your case, you would mix your pasta sauce in your noodles so that you probably like them better
    UncrustedChickenParmesanwithZucchiniNoodles_zps022f1852.jpg
  • RodaRose
    Options

Yes
    ~Tacos or burritos will work for you. The beans, meat, and cheese have protein. Go easy on the cheese and the bread/taco because they will have more calories than you might expect.
    ~Also, make some hamburgers without the buns. Add fried eggs if you wish:
    v2l7a8r40tkk.jpeg
  • RodaRose
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »

About all the eat are apples,carrots,bananas grapes and blueberry
    Apples and peanut butter make a great lunch or breakfast. Add some crackers.

yzoguy8hmnxa.jpg
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Hello everyone just getting started a couple weeks in Iam a very picky eater as far as fruits and vegetables I dont like many :(. But I love meat and fish also looking for just anything that will help me eat better as far as breakfast,lunch and dinner options without the nasty stuff in it lol Thanks everyone.
    Green Beans and Ground Beef over Rice
    -One pound ground beef raw
    -One pound green beens raw (or canned will work)
    -Salt
    -Black pepper
    -Hot sauce
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUv4wehWAAc
  • humpbax
    humpbax Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was a lot like you. If it's green, yuck. But I just started trying new dishes. The worst thing, you don't like it. You may find you can tolerate certain veggies (for me onions and tomatoes) while steering clear of the icky ones (broccoli and brussel sprouts). I found out this way that I like asparagus. I love bruschetta even though I don't like tomatoes or onions alone (go figure). I look through recipes and replace things I won't eat with things I will and usually wind up pleasantly surprised. If someone makes something for me and it looks weird, unpleasant, etc; I still try it and then make up my mind. Give it a go mate!
  • tjrifewtbast
    Options
    humpbax wrote: »
    I was a lot like you. If it's green, yuck. But I just started trying new dishes. The worst thing, you don't like it. You may find you can tolerate certain veggies (for me onions and tomatoes) while steering clear of the icky ones (broccoli and brussel sprouts). I found out this way that I like asparagus. I love bruschetta even though I don't like tomatoes or onions alone (go figure). I look through recipes and replace things I won't eat with things I will and usually wind up pleasantly surprised. If someone makes something for me and it looks weird, unpleasant, etc; I still try it and then make up my mind. Give it a go mate!

• tjrifewtbast
    Options
    Just thought of another way.... I know you didn't say that you liked zucchini, but definitely try this. Make "zoodles". That's zucchini noodles and use those as your pasta with your favorite low calorie pasta sauce. If you have a spiralizer, you can you that to make your noodles, but if you don't, just use a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler. Take a zucchini, and use that peeler on the zucchini making long strands until there is no more, then drop those into a pop of boiling water for just a couple minutes (you don't want them mushy). Or you can also just drop those into your pasta sauce to cook for just a minute or two. I'm telling you, you won't think you're eating zucchini :) Top with some chicken or lean ground beef and you've got a dish similar to spaghetti.

I uses my sprializer also called a spirooli ($30.00 when I bought it), but also used the peeler until I got my spiralzer by Paderno

Here's a demo of a spiralizer, but remember a peeler works fine too....
    https://youtu.be/msS25T5nOuo

Both of these dishes I made are low calorie/low carb but high protein../

This is a dish I made using my peeler. It is baked quail breasts over zucchini noodles
    LampGChipotleMustardMarinatedQuailatopZucchiniStylePasta_zps4a3811aa.jpg

And another dish of chicken over spiralilzed zucchini noodles, but in your case, you would mix your pasta sauce in your noodles so that you probably like them better
    UncrustedChickenParmesanwithZucchiniNoodles_zps022f1852.jpg

Thank you
  • tjrifewtbast
    Options
    Green Beans and Ground Beef over Rice
    -One pound ground beef raw
    -One pound green beens raw (or canned will work)
    -Salt
    -Black pepper
    -Hot sauce
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUv4wehWAAc

Awesome i like these ideas if you think of more Id appreciate it ;) thanks
  • RodaRose
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Make the fish. Add green beans, and rice or small potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gluRaUv88sk

Make a Banana and Two Egg Omelet with Blueberries (skip the yogurt in the video entirely)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJjI0kqlBQ
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I blend my veg in with other food like beans or chili, for example. Onions, bell peppers, tomatoes will blend nicely and only affect the taste as much as you want them to, since spices and meat will tend to contribute hugely to the overall flavor

Broccoli I steam and add to the chicken fettuccine Alfredo, and it helps since the pasta can be so calorie dense. I like carrots too! I always buy a bag or two of baby carrots when I'm out grocery shopping and just eat them as snacks. Sometimes I add Swiss cheese, other times I just eat it by itself, even while preparing a meal. I've used the shredded ones in soups, so I wouldn't have to cut the carrots. I haven't made the knockoff chicken and gnocchi soup recipe from allrecipes.com in a while, but your thread may have just inspired me to resurrect that! Also some of the ideas you received are pretty great - I'll have to try them soon