advice please??

Options
Back in June 2010 I lost 30 lbs because I knew my husband was coming home in only a month and I wanted to look fantastic for him...and now I have gained that weight back and i cant seem to get myself to commit to the same routine that I stuck to last year. I am enrolled in my local community college and I am applying for the police academy...I need to lose at least 60lbs before the academy starts and I feel like I will probably start losing weight only shortly before I need to apply...I have never been a procrastinator in my life...except when it comes to weight loss..I only stick to it and actually lose weight when I know there is a commitment that I have to make. I really want to change that about myself and stop telling myself "i have time" because the faster I lose the weight now, the better shape i will be in for the academy and the rest of my life...i cant wait to look and feel great about myself, so why is it so hard for me to stop eating things I know i shouldnt...why do i love something that hates me back? I dont get it. I really could use some inspiration and maybe some healthy eating tips/ workout ideas...anything please :)

Replies

• theonlywayj316
    Options
    If you have a fitness routine that you absolutely love, it's easier.

I really need to stop promoting this because I am sure everyone is sick of me doing it, but flirty girl fitness is effective and amazingly fun. The instructors are upbeat and its absolutely incredible. Best part? You can do it on youtube for free.

I like zumba, too. I've always been big into clubs. When it doesn't feel like exercise, I find my diet is super easy. Plus, I still can eat essentially what I want (in moderation) because I am exercising so often. It's wonderful!

Long story short, super fun work outs that you look forward to are really the only way to succeed, I think.
  • BigMamaof4
    Options
    I wish I had some magic advice for you. I'e always felt that people can and will make changes when they are 100% fully ready to commit. You've proed that you can do it before. The only advice I can offer is instead of focusing on the big long-term goal, set small, short-term goal for yourself, whether they be daily or weekly. For now, just set your goal for tomorrow. Take it one day at a time to start and then when you are in that habit, start making a weekly goal. If rewards help you, set a weekly goal that, if you meet, you can reward youself with.... like a manicure or something, as long as it does not involve food.
    Good luck! I have faith that you CAN and WILL do this! By the way, congratulations on at police academy!! That sounds so awesome!
    Jen
  • futuremrsjonstafford
    futuremrsjonstafford Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    those are exactly the kinds of workouts i am looking for too, thanks! I really need something that is exercise without me even knowing that i am getting a workout...i LOVE dancing as well! Thanks again!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you know this, but quick weight loss almost always leads to gaining it back. Slow and steady weight loss will last.

I don't know what kind of things you are eating, but from personal experience one of the reasons it is a difficult habit to break is simple addiction. It's like anything you are addicted to eating whatever you are eating, or as much as you are eating, etc.

Losing weight and keeping it off is about lifestyle change. A change that YOU want to make, for YOURSELF.

Walk. Get fresh air. Get moving. It doesn't matter what exercise you choose. I started with walking, because it was easy for me. 3 months later, it seemed too easy, so now I've started running. Find what works for you, what you can love.

Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. It sounds so simple, yet until I did that, my cravings for sugary sweets and salty snacks had a really big hold on me. Now, I can take them or leave them.

You'll get there.:smile:
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish.

Here's my $0.02 worth:

You can stop procrastinating. If you don't change your health habits now the effects of your choices will affect you for the rest of your life (English majors, did I get that right? ;) ) An unhealthy lifestyle leads directly to needing numerous medications and higher medical bills later on in life. You've already admitted you want to make a change, but realize WHAT and WHO you're making that change for. If you're doing it for only a temporary purpose, you're going to have temporary sucess and end up back right where you started.

So my advice: Don't diet. Don't make that temporary change. Make a lifestyle change. Make sure you don't feel like you're depriving yourself. Give yourself a little leniency. You're in life for the long-haul, and you're the one who has to live with you. If you have to, take note of all the reasons why you want to do this. Remember - ultimately it's YOU who has to live with yourself and how you interact now, and in the future, with those you love.
  • Inspiredtobe
    Inspiredtobe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You should try the 30 day shred! It's a workout you do for 30 days with three types of level, 10 days for each level. In the end, you get great results and lose a bunch of inches. There are some post around with other people doing the 30 day shred and you can join in on one to help get motivated. (: I also had a problem with eating too. I just love food! You should clear all the junk food out of your kitchen and replace them all with fruits, veggies, etc. There are also low fat recipes out there if you can't live without things such as brownies, etc. I have some low cal recipes and if you need a specific one, message me if you're interested and maybe I have it somewhere. And it's okay to eat like 1,600 calories once a week, a cheat day so you don't lose your sanity lol. But don't forget to workout. Hopefully this helped in some way!
    Good luck getting to that goal weight of yours (:
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    you should also looked in to chalene johnson's dvds. she does turbo jam, turbo kick, turbo fire (my fav), hip hop hustle, and plyo. oh and chalean extreme. anyways, she's super upbeat and motivating and REALLY good at what she does. also, each dvd has modification options so you can start at a slower pace. :-)
  • amanda_mh
    amanda_mh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a magic pill? Unfortunately it takes a lot of hard work and dedication and desire to meet weight loss goals. I joined Farrell's Extreme Bodyshaping (don't know if they have that in MI) and I do kickboxing (the real kind, not Tae Bo) and resistance bands 6 days a week. It's possible, but you have to want to lose the weight for you in order to keep it off. I also recommend Jillian's 30 day shred. Good luck!