32/m Success story

Options
On May 28th I decided to go for a run and made it about .60 miles and had to stop before I passed out. It was a rude awakening. I went home and took a few pictures of myself and was disgusted at what I had become. I was not active, ate whatever I wanted, and had zero portion control. Drinking a few cocktails in the evening on the couch was also part of my norm. My starting weight was 256.6.

During that same time I started a new job in which I would be working the overnight shift and doing a significant amount of walking. This was the beginning for me.

New hours meant I couldn't drink in the evening and had to plan ahead for my meals. I decided that it was time to make a lifestyle change. I decided no pop, minimal fast food (I still enjoy Taco Bell every once in a while), mfp calorie counting, and the dreaded running. I also learned to shop on the outside edge of the grocery stores and minimally shop in the aisles.

For the next few months I would eat the first meal of my day and go for a run before work. I set a goal to see how fast I could do 1.5 miles. Eventually I was able to complete it under my goal of 12:30.

My new goal was to run 2 miles, then 2.25, 2.5, 2.75, then 5k. I significantly improved my distance by slowing my pace. In fact, on my 2.75 mile day I felt pretty good so kept going and reached my goal of 5k instead. I had completed my goal almost 30 pounds lighter as well at 226.8. I'm well on my way to 200.

I was pretty pleased with myself. I had completed my first (unofficial) 5k without stopping. It's now time to reevaluate my goals. 10k? Half marathon? Maybe I will do that after my trip to Taco Bell.

Key to my success....

1) admit that you have a problem and you don't like what you have let yourself become. Take pictures of yourself for future reference.

2) it's ok to take a day off. If you are tired or in pain, write that day off. Be careful to not let it become a habit.

3) veggies, eggs, cheese, protein work well.

4) set smaller realistic goals. Maybe a tenth of a mile at a time for running.

5) Pandora, spotify, or any other music service is a great motivator.

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Keep it up!

Osric
  • scampbell455
    scampbell455 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done!
  • mcummings1003
    mcummings1003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nice work! From reading your post, I decided that your success story will be my motivator. Currently I weigh 275 and I hate taking pictures but I would in order to successful with this journey. Thanks for sharing.
  • GoConfidently
    GoConfidently Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm hoping to start running again this week- I can't wait til I can do 5k again!
  • scampbell455
    scampbell455 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another thing to add. I was one of those people who thought "I can't run." Turns out that's because I was pushing myself too hard. Slow and steady works just fine.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!