Inablility to stay under calorie goal due to hunger

Options
I've been successfully and faithfully using this website since December 5, 2010. I've lost 36 pounds to date and am thrilled with my progress as well as with my ability to be more physically active. Here is my struggle:

Since my calorie goal dropped a couple of weeks ago, I have truly struggled staying under that goal. I seem to be way too hungry.

I used to have less than 100 calories for breakfast, approximately 400-500 calories for lunch and the rest for dinner and snack. I have also recently tried to have a larger breakfast and have no more than 400 calories at lunch and a smaller dinner. This might be where I am running into trouble.

I need some ideas for healthy food that is lower in calories that will help me feel full.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The recipes in Oxygen Magazine and Clean Eating Magazine are generally in the 400 calorie range and they are fantastic! I also have a cookbook that's by Prevention Magazine called The Flat Belly Diet Family Cookbook, they're all right around 400 calories :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Low calorie food that will fill you is veggies like carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and the like but not peas or corn. Also salad greens, very low calorie for absolutely huge servings. The problem is mixing them with dressings as even low cal. dressings add a lot of calories for little bulk.

Another thing you need to consider is how much protein you are eating in a meal. Protein with tend to help a person feel full longer than carbs will. The real key is high protein high fiber which would mean lean meats and veggies like those I mentioned.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    whats your calorie goal now?
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Look at your foods and see if you can switch them to more fulling foods, more fruits,vegs. Do you exericse, most people eat back their exercise cals, you exercise=eating more.. Good Luck
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try eating 200-300 calories for breakfast. I like oatmeal and coffee. Then eat a small 100 calorie snack for mid morning or skip it if you are not hungry then eat between 300-400 calories for lunch. Make sure you eat an afternoon snack then use the rest for summer. Also drink water when you are hungry. If you are still hungry after a glass then you know that you are truly hungry and not just thirsty.

Great job so far! Stick with it and good luck!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I find eggs fill me up. I can go most of the day without being hungry if I eat eggs. Although, most meats will do the same thing for me.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to second the previous post from rileysowner. Not all calories are created equally. If the calories are protein, you can go over your limit a bit without blowing it. Unlike excess carbs which end up stored on the body as fat, excess protein calories are just not used, and pass on out of the body.
    And I find that I'm less hungry when I have more protein. Go for higher-protein, lower-carb veggies like spinach, asparagus & greens. Eat plenty of seafood, chicken, meats. I keep hard-boiled eggs on hand at all times, to grab when I get the munchies. Or I'll grab a lettuce leaf and roll up a cheese slice and some turkey inside it. Quick, easy, high-protein.
  • pedalpusher5
    Options
    You can always build your calorie allowance back up with a bit more activity. But if you're already doing all the activity you have time for then.....

In general I would say 400-500 calories is a big lunch, and that is where I would cut back especially if you spend your day sitting sedentary at a desk, you don't need big quantities of fuel for that. Try a 1/2 sandwich on something like Nature's Own double fiber wheat bread, a lean deli meat, maybe a very thin slice of lowfat cheese and a non-fat dressing of some kind (I'm partial to Emeril's Kicked-up horseradish mustard). Build it up with a little tomato and lettuce so it is more filling or have a salad and/or some fruit with it. Or maybe 1/2 sandwich as described and 1/2 can Progresso light soup. Then for your snack later a piece of fruit.

Breakfast for me is usually 1/2 cup Egg Beaters cooked in the microwave in a pyrex custard bowl and eaten on a toasted Nature's Own multrigrain sandwich thin. Although I love oatmeal sometimes.

I am on 1280 calories a day, and I find I frequently have calories left over at the end of the day. Believe me, I don't eat like a bird, I eat plenty, I've just learned how to get a lot of bang for the buck mostly with steamed veggies, salads, fresh fruit (large strawberries only have about 6 calories each, put just a couple of tablespoons of fat free plain greek yoghurt on them and a packet of Splenda and you have a delicious, fat free, low cal snack, or even have them for dessert.

Before switching to My Fitness Pal after the introduction of the new Points Plus plan, I was a Weight Watchers member for 6 years. I have lost and maintained between 75-78 pounds, depending on the season (higher in the winter). I give them a lot of credit for teaching me how to find filling foods that are low fat, low cal,and high fiber.

Good luck on your journey.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    check your activity level, are you more active now? You could up your "job or activity" level. If your still losing weight and eating more calories, you fine your just doing more now that summer came. I also find Apples a great snack, good for engery with the natrural suger and fiber. Carrots or apples are my mid morning or afternoon snack. Fiber fiber fiber... and drink lots of water. Good luck to you!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The recipes in Oxygen Magazine and Clean Eating Magazine are generally in the 400 calorie range and they are fantastic! I also have a cookbook that's by Prevention Magazine called The Flat Belly Diet Family Cookbook, they're all right around 400 calories :)

bump
  • instance
    instance Posts: 1
    Options
    Pickels are 0 calories, but come at a cost of increased sodium. Drinking adequate amounts of water will also help.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting with writing what foods you like, emphasis on foods, not dishes or meals. For example, do you like eggs, not scrambled eggs sandwich. Then try and brain storm ways you like those foods. (scrambled, poached, etc....) and come up with a meal plan, this will also help you with shopping more efficiently.

I would also encourage you to eat more than 100 calories at breakfast. I read somewhere that people who eat eggs at breakfast tend to eat less throughout the day, but I can't recall the source.

Throughout the day make sure you get in plenty of fresh veg and water. These things will help fill you up so you don't get as hungry.

If you eat processed foods, cut back on them. They are often less filling and full of sodium and sugars. Too much sugar can trigger hunger cravings.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but drink plenty of water.

Those are all the tips I can think of without seeing your diary. Mine is public and I am often stuffed by the evening. Feel free to have a look. This weekend wasn't the greatest, but I typically eat pretty well.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Make hot tea and/or decaf coffee during the day and sip on it. I make hot green tea (flavors like Blueberry, or Pomegranate) and once I sip on that, I don't feel hungry anymore.

If you are dehydrated or lacking sleep, you'll be hungry too. The more sleep I get at night, the less hungry I am during the day. I don' t have any scientific backing on that, but it definitely is the case for me.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    good ole h2o.....if you are feeling hungry, drink a 16 oz serving of water, wait about 15 mins and see if you are still hungry.

and TONS of vegetables....leafy, green ones especially
  • 3cmomma
    3cmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try eating low calorie, high protein snacks to keep you full! Some examples are cottage cheese, stringable cheese, Pillar's turkey bites, protein bars...or even shakes. Works for me. Good Luck:smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    More lean proteins, less carbs. Carbs fill you up only temporarily and are choc full of calories. Start replacing breads, rice, and potato products with veggies and lean proteins.
  • maggiedcs
    maggiedcs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    All really good thoughts posted so far, but I'll tell you a hard boiled egg will go a long way as a snack... Also, I really like hamburger and eat a very lean hamburger patty along with seasonal fruit (right now I'm into strawberries and pineapple) for lunch every day and it lasts until 4 o'clockish.

I find that (sensible) low carb will help with appetite. I could never last more than an hour if all I had for breakfast was oatmeal and coffee. When I eat a lot of carbohydrates it seems like I get hungrier. I save my carbohydrates for the evening when I'm ready to wind down anyway...

Good luck...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like a more even spacing of calories would be the go ie. if you were on 1200/day, maybe split that into 4 meals at 300 per meal. A snack is considered a meal. So that is 300/meal. If you want you could reduce your snack to 150 and then have the extra 150 at dinner or some other meal.

Also agree re eating high protein/healthy fats for satiety as well as fibrous veggies.

Don't agree that excess cals from protein won't go to fat storage though (especially if the person is not involved in hard resistance training) Protein does have a higher TEF than the other macros but unfortunately it isn't magical :P Having said that, just train hard and hopefully the excess with then go to your damaged muscles and it's all good.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    @chrisdavey: it's nothing to do with protein's TEF, it's the way the cells in your body work. TEF has to do with the energy it takes for digestion, that's not what I was talking about. Once any energy source is digested, it enters the bloodstream to travel to the cells. I won't go into the technical details, but every cell produces enzymes & chemicals that send signals to the other cells in the body. When a cell has enough protein, it sends a signal that says "I'm good, thanks anyway" and then it doesn't absorb any more protein. So if protein isn't needed, it won't be taken into the cell in the first place, and if no cells need protein then it passes on through your system & out. Carbs don't work that way: it depends on your particular metabolism, but for many people there's no "off" switch in their cells for carbs. Cells will absorb whatever is available whether they need it or not. And if we don't use those carbs right away, they get stored in the body as fat. So if you're trying to lose weight, it really is better to eat a higher ratio of protein as opposed to carbs.
    At least, that's what my doctor keeps telling me. :-) I'm no expert, I'm just repeating what he has said. Without all the technical terms. :-) But after 15 years, he's the first doctor I've ever met who has given me a diet that works, so I trust what he says.
  • amanda_mh
    amanda_mh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you're eating plenty of protein and that your meals are spaced closely together...about 3 hours apart. I eat 6 small 'meals' a day. It'll keep your body in 'burn' mode and will keep your sugar levels steady. I follow a low glycemic diet and since I've started I've noticed a huge difference from the types of food I eat. Make sure you're eating whole grain/multi grain noodles and bread and lean meats and stay away from any type of potatoe other than sweet potatoes--white breads, pastas and potatoes turn to sugar too quickly in your body.