Ways to get Protein?

Options
Hey, just a quick question.

So I'm a college student trying to lose some weight (started at 210 and already lost ten pounds in the past four weeks). I'm also trying to keep track of my nutrient and macromolecule intake. I've been doing pretty good, but most days I either get a little too much carbs or a little too much fat. Which would be fine on occasional days. But most days I just barely hit the 20% goal for protein or miss it all together.

Well, meat is expensive, and the only "meat" protein I can really get are eggs and the meat they have at the fast food places here. I know there are other ways to get protein, or every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would die from a lack of amino acids, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I need a way to get more protein without spending an arm and a leg (and hopefully avoid the fast food places here).

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to the school's cafeteria?
  • namosaga
    namosaga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, but it's not the healthiest either. There's a pizza place, a diner place (with thing such as fried chicken burgers with fries), a salad bar, this one place that makes food that avoids any and all food allergies, and a place that reminds you of a hearty american dinner (mashed potatoes, giant steaks covered in sauce, mac and cheese, etc.).
  • kj61570
    kj61570 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I heard black beans are actually great for protein. They add bulk to your favorite recipes and are good in omelets. Canned are easier with which to cook.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The cafeteria's breakfast is probably good with eggs and bacon and some fruit.
    One or two slices of pizza with a salad is good.
    If they have grilled/baked/broiled options for meat, go with those.
    Perhaps the place that caters to people with allergies has what you need because it will not be serving food with high calorie sauces.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Can you get cans or pouches of tuna?
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Canned Tuna, Canned Chicken..frozen chicken breast (You can buy one of those cooking pots) Eggs...It's easy. Don't use "I'm a college student" to make it seem like it's not possible. I'm a college student too. I prep meals when I know I'll be out all day. Stay away from vending machines, drink only water..
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I get the majority of my protein from dairy - greek yogurt and cottage cheese are big ones for me. I also use a whey protein powder. I eat protein-fortified granola in my yogurt. Cheese and milk have protein. Nalley Vegetarian Chili has a fair amount. Field Roast Vegetarian Sausages have a lot of protein too, but they're not super cheap.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    namosaga wrote: »
    Hey, just a quick question.

So I'm a college student trying to lose some weight (started at 210 and already lost ten pounds in the past four weeks). I'm also trying to keep track of my nutrient and macromolecule intake. I've been doing pretty good, but most days I either get a little too much carbs or a little too much fat. Which would be fine on occasional days. But most days I just barely hit the 20% goal for protein or miss it all together.

Well, meat is expensive, and the only "meat" protein I can really get are eggs and the meat they have at the fast food places here. I know there are other ways to get protein, or every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would die from a lack of amino acids, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I need a way to get more protein without spending an arm and a leg (and hopefully avoid the fast food places here).

Hi
    I get my protein from several sources. Lean Meat, Greek Yogurt, Tasty flavored Protein shakes. The Shakes I use have 15g of protein and the Chocolate tastes pretty good warmed up and used as a hot chocolate. The Supermarket has many varieties of Protein shakes and Protein Bars. Read the labels. If You have access to Costco they have protein shakes too, with 30 grams of healthy protein, including all of the essential amino acids, 24 vitamins and minerals. At 18 cans per case for $24.99.

I Agree with the Canned Chicken/Turkey/Tuna, Water Pack.

Many Types of Beans have Protein, I tend to exclude Green beans BTW. Another source of Protein is Peanut Butter unless You are allergic to it.
    From Here, Peanut butter, smooth style, without salt. If You follow the link You can select from several amounts of peanut Butter to get a good fit for You lifestyle.
    akuq21wprcq8.gif

Good Luck
    Roger

88672520.png