How do you eat your protein powder?

Options
As a vegetarian who is away at work all day (and I work in a school, and eat with the kids, so my food options are limited) I don't always get enough protein (especially not now when I'm lifting as part of my rehabilitation). So I got some vegan protein powder; but when I mix it in my delicious smoothies, it turns the smoothie too thick and the taste changes. And instead of gulping down my healthy and delicious smoothie, I end up not wanting to drink it all (because it's "too heavy") -- which not only wastes all the other ingredients but kind of defeats the purpose of having the powder.

So I've been thinking about just mixing it with milk and maybe a sweet fruit/berries and more or less just gulp it down, bad taste and all, just to get it in. But I don't drink a lot of cow milk (and to be honest, I dislike the taste of most non-cow milks) so before I go down that route I would like to explore other avenues. (It would be easiest to put it in my smoothie if I can mask the taste.)

And I do not want to mix it with water, because that would make things even worse I think!

If it matters, I only use about 13 grams of the powder (recommended per day is about 21 g) so it's not that I'm overdoing it; it just takes over.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I put it in yogurt. Sometimes in oatmeal. Sometimes in ice cream.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Just drink it as a liquid
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yogurt or oatmeal. Sometimes in a shake but then only with milk.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Shake with water or almond milk, yogurt, oatmeal, ice cream, brownies, cakes, cookies, muffins, fudge, bread. I do a lot of cooking with protein. I hate boring and I LOVE food...... you get the picture :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I put it in coffee with a Tbs coconut oil and a Tbs coconut cream and whip it to a froth. Yummy.
  • ambutl03
    ambutl03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2? It's powdered peanut butter! Delicious and you can get it from Walmart. It has 45 calories for 2 tbsp and tons of protein. I put it in almond milk and blend in some nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt and throw in a banana :) i have prediabetes so I'm all about balancing protein with carbs :)
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    ambutl03 wrote: »
    Have you tried PB2? It's powdered peanut butter! Delicious and you can get it from Walmart. It has 45 calories for 2 tbsp and tons of protein. I put it in almond milk and blend in some nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt and throw in a banana :) i have prediabetes so I'm all about balancing protein with carbs :)

I don't live in the US so no Walmart and I'm allergic to peanuts. :smile:

I'm going to try experiment with adding it to my morning oatmeal (which I have to eat fairly quickly anyway to make it to work on time, so flavour should hopefully not be an issue even if it's not "as good"). Thanks for the tips!!

• kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In cereal 99% of the time. I just take a more plain cereal (I prefer those anyways) like Cheerios, puffed rice or chex then add some unsweetened cashew milk and protein powder. Flavors your cereal to whatever your protein powder is!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I just mix mine with water. But it tastes good on its own
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do but really effective. I usually do a spoonful at a time of the powder and just put it in my mouth and swallow. You can chomp and chew if you want but that just makes the process take longer. After about 8 spoons I'm usually pretty happy. It's good too cause all that protein absorbs into your cheeks....sort of like how chipmunks store their acorns...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just water, you could try water with a couple of drops of vanilla, or some other flavouring that might enhance it.
    Cold coffee?

Cheers, h.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do but really effective. I usually do a spoonful at a time of the powder and just put it in my mouth and swallow. You can chomp and chew if you want but that just makes the process take longer. After about 8 spoons I'm usually pretty happy. It's good too cause all that protein absorbs into your cheeks....sort of like how chipmunks store their acorns...

This just doesn't sound like a pleasant experience to me. Effective? Yes. Pleasant? Not so much.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Peanut butter and Co just started making powdered peanut butter. The vanilla version is yummy in shakes.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The protein powder I have now is natural (I have tried some versions that have different flavourings and they often taste even worse to me) but I'm going to see about finding some way to flavour it without going overboard.

:smile:
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My workday breakfast is often 100g of Greek yoghurt with 20 g of oat bran, a little almond or soya milk, a scoop of protein powder and bananas if I have any. Mix before you go to bed and leave in the fridge and it ends up both Yummie and filling as well as helping me reach my protein goal
  • Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you using an electronic mixer/blender for your shakes? I noticed the same thing, so I mix the entire smoothie first and then toss in the protein powder for just a quick zap to stir it up. It doesn't leave it anywhere near as thick.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I snort it. Once that stops working, I intend to move up to freebasing, followed by mainlining.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I snort it. Once that stops working, I intend to move up to freebasing, followed by mainlining.

lol.

I pretty much only use it in protein fluff but it's mad filling so once in awhile I'll throw some in water with ice and sweeteners.
  • Rtrtiff
    Rtrtiff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bought vanilla Shakeology and it was horrible the best thing I've ever done is add vanilla almond milk with peanut butter and a banana and a touch of vanilla flavoring ... That zapped the chalky taste but I'm never buying it again .. Which powder do you use?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Peanut butter and Co just started making powdered peanut butter. The vanilla version is yummy in shakes.

I tried the Mightynut one with chia and flaxseed! Better than PB2 so far.