Types of protein

Options
Is "real" protein better than "fake" protein? Let me explain. If I eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake, is that the same to my body as eating a chicken breat or nuts as far as the processing of the protein goes? I cannot eat large portions of food, and try to stay in the 1200 cal range, so sometimes it is hard for me to get all my needed protein in daily. So I like to supplement with bars/drinks. I know nnfoods in their natural state are better in general, this is not a processed food debate.

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, whey protein, due to it's digestibility, is in your system almost instantly. Compare that to a chicken breast, which would take an hour or so to get into your system. I think your body treats it the same, since it is real protein, just isolated. You can just benefit quicker from the powder, or boost your intake without having to eat more food. If carbs are an issue, there are some carb free protein powders, isopure for one. And the Pineapple Orange Banana is yummy, IMHO.
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do both.I do real protein more though. I am really into a Greek Yougart kick-which has protein and also Kashi Protein bars. They have protein and taste good.I do protein whey shakes every once in a while with plain non fat greek yougart and mixed berries or peanut butter and bananna which sounds gross but is good and filling lol
  • warphoenix
    warphoenix Posts: 47
    Options
    I'd stick with getting as much "real" protein as possible and only take the "fake" protein if you are short on your protein goals. The only other time I'd use a bar or shake is if you need to get the protein into your body faster (prior to / after workout) like bakins said.
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    I drink Robard protein shakes and eat the protein bars regularly. I find it almost impossible to "eat" all the protein I need to in a day. My trainer and my doctor both support this and encourage it.
  • garrick06
    garrick06 Posts: 1
    Options
    From what I have learned in my school is that there are two types of protein. Proteins that come from meat such as chicken and other that come from nuts and grains. When looking for essential protein, you want to stick to meat forms to get the essential. If you are a vegetarian and need these essential proteins that you cannot get from meat, add beans and brown rice to your diet. Hope that helps.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes, your body treats all protein the same, as long as its the same kind. Casein, whey, soy, egg, etc will all have different digestibility rates, amino acid profiles, etc. But once its digested, the body will treat it the same, as in use it for energy or amino acid production.
  • amanda_mh
    amanda_mh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder drinks and protein bars (either pure protein or meal replacement bars-which have enough carbs and protein for a meal) are good in moderation. There are plenty that are super high in calories and sugar, but they are great because they're easy and quick. As long as you don't have several a day, I say they're a good alternative for when you can't have chicken or an egg or cheese. However, some protein powders are really high in cholesterol, so you have to watch for that. ZonePerfect bars are my favorite...they're ratio of carbs to protein is perfect for what I need/meal.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i also like to use Isopure in Dutch Chocolate after a workout. as for real protein..i eat a TON of turkey, chicken and salmon..
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a minimum of 50-60 grams of protein every day. Eating as much of that in real food is the better way, but there is nothing wrong with a protein bar or shake. My doctor and dietitian highly recommended UNJURY protein powder which is medical grade protein. Your body will process it just the same as it does chicken, fish or an egg to be used for amino acids production or fuel.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get in 1g/lb lean body mass of protein a day, that puts me over 100g per day. I almost never reach that just by eating "real" food, so I supplement with a protein shake. I use 1 scoop of isopure (0 carbs, 5mg cholesterol in 2 scoops) and that gives me a 25g protein boost.