measure food before or after cooking?

Options
I really am not sure which measure is most accurate, before or after cooking? Like rice, sausages, frozen vegetables....Pls help

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Before is probably more accurate as the after weight will be impacted by cooking..eg meat will lose weight the more its cooked, pasta and rice will absorb water while cooking and the longer they are cooked the more water they will absorb.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It depends on what information you're going to log. If the data says "raw", then weigh it raw. If the data says "cooked", and gives the method of cooking (e.g on the packet), use that. Water loss or gain will already be accounted for in the cooked data.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Raw is more accurate.

However as long as the correct database entry is chosen, it doesn't really matter.

Example.

Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, cooked, roasted

Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Raw is more accurate.

However as long as the correct database entry is chosen, it doesn't really matter.

Example.

Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, cooked, roasted

Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw

thank you all, I forgot there are already cooked entries on mfp because sometimes I buy cooked food....