Banned from Biggest Loser

Options
corsayre8
corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
Struggled with where to post this, it is a bit of a rant. But as it stems from my already being "the biggest loser", this seemed like the best option.

So my gym is throwing a Biggest Loser Contest. I had already told the owner that I wasn't interest in participating - I am approaching my goal weight, and changing my approach to focusing on toning and establishing a sustainable lifestyle.

Today however, I was more than a bit disappointed to find out that several other members had approached him to ask if anybody was allowed to join. Apparently they didn't want to participate if I was going to be allowed in.

WTF?

Yes I have lost a significant amount of weight, and done it in a relatively short amount if time. But shouldn't that be an inspiration? Not a threat?

There is nothing special about me, except my dedication and commitment. I didn't take drugs or starve myself. What I did do wax put in many hours in the gym and on the trail. What I did was change my eating habits. Shouldn't I be commended for that, not ostracized?

If they want to win, or even just lose, then maybe they should start making changes and stop making excuses. I'm calling bull****!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pay to be in the contest? I can understand them if that is the case, knowing that they will lose.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Exactly. They know the competition. To be honest-that's just smart gambling.
  • MsMe79
    MsMe79 Posts: 54
    Options
    I don't understand though.. wouldn't they take it from the weight you are now? Therefore you are no more a threat than anyone else?
  • kimmyr1989
    Options
    the gym cant stop u from joining it, its discrimination!
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    I don't understand though.. wouldn't they take it from the weight you are now? Therefore you are no more a threat than anyone else?
    This^^^
  • corsayre8
    Options
    Yes, it is from this weeks weigh in thru weigh in on August 4th. I have a BMI of like 23, and am thrilled if I can lose a pound every two weeks. Some of these women are still in the obese range. It should be easier for them to lose weight at this point.

To me it just seems like they don't want to put in the work.
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    double post**
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    well then you should talk to someone and try to get some free membership months and clothing and all that stuff you could get if you complain. lol
  • MsMe79
    MsMe79 Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes, it is from this weeks weigh in thru weigh in on August 4th. I have a BMI of like 23, and am thrilled if I can lose a pound every two weeks. Some of these women are still in the obese range. It should be easier for them to lose weight at this point.

To me it just seems like they don't want to put in the work.

Exactly! Oh well, be super happy with yourself and maybe sympathise with them a little... they don't realise or are not thinking about the hard work you've had to put in to get healthy, and also not realising they could use you as a wealth of knowledge!
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yep - this belongs in the success stories. Good for you, being SO good at losing weight that your banned from contests. And, yes, the others sound like they don't want to do the work. If I were in your area, I'd sign up and ask you to be my coach. :smile:
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't understand something...

You said you don't want to participate. Then the others at your gym, knowing you were not wanting to participate, are now wanting to participate, and you are now upset that you can't participate?

Why does it matter so much to you? You have come so far and no one can take that away from you no matter if there is a competition or not.

Please excuse me if I have it wrong..
  • corsayre8
    Options
    I don't want to participate, but I do have issues with being told I can't.

Maybe it is some deeply seated psychological issue hanging around from the days of school yards and games of red rover. Basically who really thinks it feels good to be excluded?
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be excluded, and I know I'd probably feel the same, but do you not think there's a modicum of jealousy amongst those who did not want you to participate?

They are jealous of what you have achieved so far, not what you can still do, and it's just a reminder to them that they're not putting 100% effort in.

I know you're miffed at the moment, but please, just carry on doing what you're doing, which is an excellent job!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I don't get what you're angry about?

You're approaching goal weight, so it would be a really bad idea for the gym to encourage you to join a competition to lose a lot more.
    You have told the owner of the gym you're not interested in this competition.
    You have not been told that you are forbidden to enter the competition - I read your post carefully and it does not say this.

So a couple of people there, who have a lot of weight to lose, see you as incredibly successful and have said it's not worth their while entering if you're entering. That's a hell of a compliment, why be angry at that?

You've lost so much weight, you're so far out of their league now, competitions like that would be pointless and dangerous. I think you're still seeing yourself as the fat one who needs encouraging, you've moved on from that.

Your attitude has to catch up with your new body!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Forget them. You don't need a competition at the gym to validate how great you're doing. You can get that from within.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Don't take it seriously. When info is relayed through another person, the message almost always is skewed toward the drama, cuz people love drama.

Think of it this way...you have a fast car, a very fast one that is nice and shiny and you earned it. Others have one too, but its not as nice, and possibly not as fast, but it is not know exactly how it measures up. Then a race is posted, and they choose not to enter because they are assuming you will beat them with your car. Its only an assumption, and anyone that bases their thoughts on an assumption almost always loses before they even give themselves a chance to participate.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!