Looking to lose 20 pounds and I just turned 50

Options
I just turned 50 years old and I would like to lose 20 pounds at the most. I'm very active and I run 4 days a week

Replies

• coachRichie
    coachRichie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.. 20 pounds is a very attainable goal to reach.
    By keeping to your calorie goal you have set and by logging all of your foods is a great start.
    Running is great but you should add some other workouts to your mix...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    As a 59-year-old active person who's lost a bit over 40 pounds so far, I'd speculate that already being active is something that has helped me lose weight, as compared to some other 50+ women I see in the forums who report having age-related difficulty losing. If you weigh what you eat, and log consistently, MFP will help you learn a lot about your body and metabolism.

While I don't agree that it's *essential* that you ramp up your workouts (I haven't done so very much), it does help you "buy" extra daily calories & make the process easier, plus some form of resistance training will help you avoid losing muscle/strength as you lose weight, and of course helps keep bones strong as we age.

With only 20 pounds to lose, most folks would recommend that you adopt a slow loss rate, too, which will also make it easier day-to-day. Read the "stickies" (permanent posts at the top) of the "Getting Started" and "General Diet & Weight Loss" forum topics: They're a great help.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have dropped 30 pounds in several months.. just count your calories and get yourself in a deficit. Figure out a good mix of protein, carbs, and fat. Plan your meals and go!! You can do this.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you don't make your calorie limit too aggressive. A loss of .5 lb/week provides for a workable amount of calories. Add exercise (cardio) to earn more calories.

You'll find lots of success here.
  • makeupbypam
    makeupbypam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank u for the responses . I am only 5 ft 1 inch so 20 pounds is a lot for me...
  • ckfox95
    ckfox95 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I am proof! I'm 47 and have lost 56 lbs. Eating in moderation, not depriving myself of what I want to eat as long as it's within my daily goal and getting up and moving/walking was key for me. Good luck!
  • makeupbypam
    makeupbypam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!! Thank you for your advice