How long?

Options
How long should it take to lose 40 pounds?

I'm 5'1
22 years old
183 pounds

And will my lady figure (curvy booty and boobs) go away with this weight loss? If so, how to prevent this and focus on losing fat around my mid section, arms and thighs?

Replies

• MGarcia0504
    MGarcia0504 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you lose 2 pounds a week then you could be down 40 lbs in about 5 months but that is saying that you lose a consistent 2 lbs per week. You may not lose a consistent amount of weight per week and most people plateau at some point so it is hard to say. You can lose some of the lady figure. Most people gain fat around those areas as they gain weight. What kind of workouts are you doing? Weight lifting is a great way to lean out but still work on keeping those areas curvy. I personally lift weights and am leaning out. I do full body workouts and am losing inches around my waist and thighs but since I'm also working my glutes and chest, I'm losing inches in my bra size but the cup isn't changing and my booty is lifting and looking better.
  • coachRichie
    coachRichie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Eating clean and working out daily is key to reaching your goals.
    You should try to lose the 40 pounds in 6 months.. it will require determination and sticking on track.
    I personally lost 30 pounds in 3 months but it was with a lot of hard work and lots of sweat.
    Guys usually lose weight quicker so that is why I think that 6-8 months for 40 pounds is a very attainable goal.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft and started at 188. It took me about 18 months to get to 147.

We are all different, some people will lose faster, others slower. It depends on what you are eating, how you are exercising, and what your body chemistry/hormones are like. I can say that the first 20 lbs slid off in about 6-8 weeks, the latter 20 took the rest of the time. For me, it was eating healthy, and starting a running program that helped a lot.

• cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    if you aim for 1 lb a week ideally it would take 40 weeks... but because weight loss isn't linear it can vary from person to person.
    I have lost 71 lbs over 2.5 years.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Aim for a sustainable 1lb/week weight loss plan. It'll take about 40 weeks to get there but it'll be manageable and not stressful.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How long should it take to lose 40 pounds?

I'm 5'1
    22 years old
    183 pounds

And will my lady figure (curvy booty and boobs) go away with this weight loss? If so, how to prevent this and focus on losing fat around my mid section, arms and thighs?

Hard to say. Providing no medical conditions, accurate logging (weighing food on a food scale, selecting accurate entries from database, etc), how much you eat, and many other factors it could take:
    80 weeks (0.5 lbs per week) to 20 weeks (2lbs per week)
    Chances of losing 2 lbs per week from now till goal are very very slim. Weight loss tends to slow as you get closer to a healthy weight.

You can't pick where you lose weight. If genetics decides that it want's to take fat from your boobs first, that's what will happen. There isn't anything you can do about it. You might be able to keep a round butt with heavy lifting (build up the glutes).

I was 179.6 lbs on September 24, 2014 and 126.1 lbs on September 24, 2015. So it took me 1 year to drop 53.5 lbs which is equal to just over 1 lb per week loss on average. I didn't lose weight every week. Some weeks I lost a big chunk and others nothing. Sometimes I even saw a slight gain. However, the long term averages out to what I wanted to achieve.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    8-10 months
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As long as it takes. Set yourself up for success and don't put a time constraint on it. As far as losing in certain areas, unfortunately, we can't spot reduce, so you'll find as you lose, it will come from all over.
    Good luck!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    As long as it takes. Set yourself up for success and don't put a time constraint on it. As far as losing in certain areas, unfortunately, we can't spot reduce, so you'll find as you lose, it will come from all over.
    Good luck!

Do it this way. The right way.
  • Loganmmontgomery
    Loganmmontgomery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks all

I'm willing to do it for as long as it takes. Just trying to get an estimate cause my wedding is less than 10 months away so I'm trying to find a realistic goal so I don't beat myself up