3 years post thyroidectomy...help

Options
It's been 3 years since being diagnosed with thyroid cancer & having my thyroid gland removed. Since then I've weight. I can't get this weight to move. If anyone is familiar with losing weight without a thyroid, please reach out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Msebuke

Replies

• CharminQT
    CharminQT Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Work with your doctor and dietician. Is there a weight loss centre near you? That's a good place to start. Congrats on beating cancer. http://www.livestrong.com/article/191980-how-to-lose-weight-after-thyroid-removal/
  • orfhlaithfitzmaurice
    Options
    Hi Mrsebuke, it's been 5 years since I had my thyroid removed and I'm in the same position. I did lose a lot of weight about a year after but I have since put it back on. I will lose it again!! I think you've got to be really strict taking the meds, have regular blood tests to make sure everything is at a good level and then it's just the usual; eat well and exercise, or at least I'm hoping this is the case! I've just started watching my weight and exercising again so I'll let you know if it works for me!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Mrsebuke, are your thyroid levels under control? If they are, you should be able to lose weight if you maintain a deficit. Are you using a food scale? Try reading through my post here and see if there is anything that might help. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

In the meantime, there are others here who have had their thyroid removed (I think @Kalikel ?) while I still have mine but do have hypothyroidism.

I am going to attach the optimum thyroid levels below. Don't just settle for good enough, have your dr. aim to get you into the optimum zone for easiest weight loss.biyukanlly43.png
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yup, my thyroid came out. Good riddance to that bad boy and Welcome, Synthroid!!

I've lost 93 pounds since the thyroid came out. Not everyone is as lucky as I am. I know that. I'm sure not saying, "Everyone is exactly like me, so if I can do it, you have no excuse!" I know better. But I also know that, at least for some people, it is possible to lose weight without a thyroid.

My advice is to talk to the doctor...and that doctor should be an endocrinologist or, better, a thyroidologist, if you live near a hospital that has one (most don't.) Endos will always run the right tests and treat you. Most are good, some aren't.

If you ever (thyroid or otherwise) know something is wrong and feel that the doctor isn't treating you, get a second opinion!! And a third and a fourth, if need be. Find someone who treats you. I spent over two decades struggling with my thyroid issues. It kind of ruined my young life. Don't do that.

It's still hard to lose weight, even now that it's been corrected. I don't lose as quickly as other people and I eat fewer calories. But I CAN lose.

I hope you get good treatment and are as lucky as I am and lose all those extra pounds. Don't give up!