Gluten-free and HUNGRY!

Options
Hi there. I've recently become gluten-free, my doctor refused to test me as she said it could be more an intolerance then an allergy (great stuff, didn't even listen to my symptoms!) So after speaking to a friend with a gluten-free diet I decided to try in and see if it makes a difference. Well, my life has been transformed! No my stomach aches, constipation/runs, bloating has all but disappeared, headaches gone. I feel so much better it is crazy! I can even handle some amounts of dairy (I thought I had a big intolerance to that too). My mum said I had dairy and wheat intolerance as a child, but grew out of it. Maybe it came back.

The only thing is, now that gluten has been politely shown the back door, I feel incredibly hungry all the time! Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions on what I should do to stop over-snacking, something I've taken to like a duck to water. Hardly ever snacked before! Argh! Help!!

Replies

• Theweebarrell
    Theweebarrell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    sorry i cant help but just wanted to tell you i know where you are coming from re the systoms you have, i have had them for over a year but my doctor refused to test me, he said it was probably IBS and just cut things out of my diet and see if that helps. Can you tell me what your diet consists of now as i would like to cut out Gluten but don't know where to start
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Whew, that's a huge diet change, and congrats to you for taking the reins of your health when someone else wouldn't. Perhaps it's time to find a doctor who listens better...

Anywho, I would try finding some things to add to your diet that are high in protein. When I have higher protein snacks I'm not as hungry as when I have other snacks. I'm not gluten-free so I have no idea where to begin with tips on that, but I think the protein rich snacks or meals might help with your hunger issue.

Good luck!
  • ashtenr
    ashtenr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would second the protein heavy snacks too. It might be possible to find a protein shake that is gluten free, which could be a handy filling snack. Hard boiled eggs, handful of Brazil nuts - that type of thing!
  • evenidomhnaill
    Options
    Hi my sister has celiacs disease she was diagnosed about 33 years ago when she was 12 and found it hard to adjust at first as all her friends didnt understand and kept offering her stuff she couldnt eat some still do which ticks her off. The most things i know she eats alot of is stir fries, rice, omelets, baked beans, vegies,rice noodles, etc a tip would be if you are frying anything have a seperate fryer for your gluten free stuff as you dont want cross contamination same thing goes for the toaster my parents have 2 one for normal bread and one for el's gluten free bread. They buy gluten free flour and make gf batter for tofu etc for her. Learn to read every food label after a while you will know what you can and cant eat some brands do gluten and gluten free stuff so dont think just because its in one of their products its in all(eg bisto is a brand of gravy at home their cheapest ones contain gluten their bisto best range dont and its only a little more expensive.
    Normally they have an aisle in the supermarket dedicated to gluten, dairy, etc free.
    I agree that alot of the stuff doesnt taste the same but some brands are better than others its a bit of trial and error.
    Best of luck hope this helped
  • cherryvee
    cherryvee Posts: 16
    Options
    sorry i cant help but just wanted to tell you i know where you are coming from re the systoms you have, i have had them for over a year but my doctor refused to test me, he said it was probably IBS and just cut things out of my diet and see if that helps. Can you tell me what your diet consists of now as i would like to cut out Gluten but don't know where to start

I mainly eat products that are naturally gluten-free, that was the plan anyway until I felt so hungry and snacked on gluten-free biscuits! So potatoes, rice and rice based products (rice noodles/potato wedges etc) There is a great website that tells you whether a not a popular product is gluten-free: http://gluternative.com/ Their database is small but we can add to it as we go along, thus helping everybody around the world that suffer with gluten intolerances/allergies. Also, things like soy sauce sometimes has wheat flour in it - so watch out for that. The best thing to do is to check the labels, if you're not sure leave it!

Good luck, lets be friends and then we can share meal plans etc :) x
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm a recently diagnosed celiac and I'm filling up on potato, rice, rice noodles and beans!

Breafast is rice/ millet porridge.

Lunch is baked beans, grilled tomatoes and poached egg.

Snacks are GF bread and peanut butter

Dinner is curry/ stirfry/ chilli/ salad etc

I was never a pasta fan so not eaten the GF equivalent, but I imagine it'd fill u up the same. I'm eating loads of fruit and veg - my diet has never been healthier. And also nuts - yum! Yoghurt is a filling snack too. I dip apple slices in mine.
  • cherryvee
    Options
    Whew, that's a huge diet change, and congrats to you for taking the reins of your health when someone else wouldn't. Perhaps it's time to find a doctor who listens better...

Anywho, I would try finding some things to add to your diet that are high in protein. When I have higher protein snacks I'm not as hungry as when I have other snacks. I'm not gluten-free so I have no idea where to begin with tips on that, but I think the protein rich snacks or meals might help with your hunger issue.

Good luck!

Thanks for this suggestion... what are we talking about when we say high protein snacks? All I can think of is chicken and cheese lol - I can't eat too much cheese as it gives my hot flushes!!
  • cherryvee
    Options
    Thanks Ash, that's really helpful. I'll have a look into the shakes...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would look online for gluten free products and recipes. There are a lot of sites on the web. Maybe get a gluten free cookbook. Amazon has tons. I know whole foods has a gluten free section in there store. Most grocery stores have at least a small gluten free section, just ask the manager. If they don't maybe you could ask them if they would think about adding one.
  • cherryvee
    Options
    Hi my sister has celiacs disease she was diagnosed about 33 years ago when she was 12 and found it hard to adjust at first as all her friends didnt understand and kept offering her stuff she couldnt eat some still do which ticks her off. The most things i know she eats alot of is stir fries, rice, omelets, baked beans, vegies,rice noodles, etc a tip would be if you are frying anything have a seperate fryer for your gluten free stuff as you dont want cross contamination same thing goes for the toaster my parents have 2 one for normal bread and one for el's gluten free bread. They buy gluten free flour and make gf batter for tofu etc for her. Learn to read every food label after a while you will know what you can and cant eat some brands do gluten and gluten free stuff so dont think just because its in one of their products its in all(eg bisto is a brand of gravy at home their cheapest ones contain gluten their bisto best range dont and its only a little more expensive.
    Normally they have an aisle in the supermarket dedicated to gluten, dairy, etc free.
    I agree that alot of the stuff doesnt taste the same but some brands are better than others its a bit of trial and error.
    Best of luck hope this helped

That's great thank you! It's amazing the choices we have now, must've been hard for people like your sister. 30-odd years ago it was almost unheard of. I have the bisto best gravy, but thought I couldn't eat it so was going to give it to my mate... just checked the ingredients and it IS gluten-free hoorah! Just bought some GF gravy as well, ah well haha. I'll buy a new toaster for me when I move too - didn't even think of that, its a good point! I'm still trying to find a loaf of Warburton's GF bread, I heard it's delish!

Thanks again!! x
  • evilkensmum
    Options
    If you live in the UK try and get an official coeliacs diagnosis if possible, then you can get gluten free foods on prescription. My husband has it and with a prepaid prescription card (£10 a month) we get all his bread, pasta and flours from the chemist. Saves a fortune!! GF bread can be very expensive from the supermarket.
  • Theweebarrell
    Theweebarrell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you live in the UK try and get an official coeliacs diagnosis if possible, then you can get gluten free foods on prescription. My husband has it and with a prepaid prescription card (£10 a month) we get all his bread, pasta and flours from the chemist. Saves a fortune!! GF bread can be very expensive from the supermarket.

Do you get the Coeliacs diagnosis from your doctor
  • sodonne4
    sodonne4 Posts: 2
    Options
    My doctor refused to test me too. It wasn't until I had an allergic reaction to a knee injection that they finally decided to test me for food allergies. I felt like a new woman. Didn't realize what it felt to actually feel good- not tire, bloated, cranky, migraines, etc.

For snacks, I try to eat a lot of hummus with veggies or if you want to try a yummy smoothie that is gluten and dairy free-Spirutein is the best I have found. Mix it with some almond or soy milk and it'll help you feel full with minimal calories (and it has almost all your vitamins for the day).

If you are craving chocolate, I found a great recipe for raw vegan brownies. Even my non-gluten-free friends love them:
    1 cup walnuts
    1 cup whole, pitted dates
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    I add a little agave nectar or honey for a touch of extra sweetness
    Put all ingredients in a food processor until finely grated then press into pan. Place in freezer for 2 hours then enjoy! They are really rich, so you only need a bite.

If you are just coming off the gluten you will have cravings like crazy in the beginning, but they do go away and it does get so much easier. Be encouraged! Let me know if you ever need any recipes or advice!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Check out Marksdailyapple.com or goggle paleo or primal diet both are naturally gluten free. Like mentioned before add protein and good fats both will keep you satiated.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of gluten free products, including breads and pastas available these days. Most rices are gluten free so adding those can help you feel full. Did you your dr give you diet suggestions or refer you to a nutritionist? If you Google "gluten free" I'm sure you'll find many sites that can help with diet suggestions.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing a lot of naturally gluten free foods which is fantastic.

The grains are a tough challenge because you want to find ones that are not cross-contiminated with wheat. Some gluten free grains I can suggest would be quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, millet, amaranth, gluten free oats (use a little and see how you feel - many gluten free people can't tolerate them), buckwheat (even though it say "wheat" in the name, I assure you, it's GF), corn (also a big cross-contamination issue) and sorghum. Quinoa is a complete plant protein as well, so that, along with the fiber might help you get your protein up and stay full for longer. A good brand I recommend for GF grains and GF flours is Bob's Red Mill. They also have a really good GF Hot Cereal that's a number of those whole grains and cooks in a fairly short amount of time.

For other snack choices if you're trying to up the protein, try Greek yogurt if you can tolerate some dairy. The lactose in yogurt is already broken down thanks to the bacteria in there so it's easy for most people to digest. It's also got a good kick of protein. Try an apple and some peanut butter or a handful of almonds or pistachios. There are good fats and proteins in nuts!

Hope this helps!
  • cherryvee
    Options
    sodonne4, thank you so much! i thought I was going mad, but it sounds like my cravings are completely normal. i've never wanted a sandwich so much in all my life! (I was never keen on bread, now i know why!) that brownie recipe sounds simply gorgeous, I'll be making that over the weekend... I'll see how it goes down at the friend-camp and let you know. Thanks again. CherryVee x
  • cherryvee
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing a lot of naturally gluten free foods which is fantastic.

The grains are a tough challenge because you want to find ones that are not cross-contiminated with wheat. Some gluten free grains I can suggest would be quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, millet, amaranth, gluten free oats (use a little and see how you feel - many gluten free people can't tolerate them), buckwheat (even though it say "wheat" in the name, I assure you, it's GF), corn (also a big cross-contamination issue) and sorghum. Quinoa is a complete plant protein as well, so that, along with the fiber might help you get your protein up and stay full for longer. A good brand I recommend for GF grains and GF flours is Bob's Red Mill. They also have a really good GF Hot Cereal that's a number of those whole grains and cooks in a fairly short amount of time.

For other snack choices if you're trying to up the protein, try Greek yogurt if you can tolerate some dairy. The lactose in yogurt is already broken down thanks to the bacteria in there so it's easy for most people to digest. It's also got a good kick of protein. Try an apple and some peanut butter or a handful of almonds or pistachios. There are good fats and proteins in nuts!

Hope this helps!

CraftyGirl4, I think you must know me!! I tried the GF muesli twice and had stomach ache both times, so don't think I'll have any more GF oats. I can eat yoghurt, well it doesn't affect me in the same way as other dairy products do - i.e. hot flushes and emergency toilet breaks! Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

I'm going to try to increase my protein and fibre intake and see if it makes a difference... I'll be requesting the friendship of all of you with GF dietary needs, so please don't be offended. It's just so I can get an idea of foods and meals.

Thank you everybody, this has been great. Keep the recipes, websites and suggestions coming! xx
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed with Celiac disease, I was STARVING for about 6 months. After that, it kinda leveled off (I do have my days, though). From what I could gather, because I had been so malnourished for a long time, my body was craving the nutrients that I was missing. You really need to be tested for Celiac as it is an autoimmune problem and not an allergy (like gluten intolerance). You will need to be ON gluten for about a month prior to the lab work to get proper results. Good luck. Hope things go well!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is my favorite high-protein, gluten-free snack. You can use the plain variety to make a savory dip to have with fresh veggies, or stir some honey and cinnamon into it for a sweet treat.