A Little frustrated and need to vent...

Options
I have been doing good with eating and had been sticking with a 3 workout a week schedule for the last couple weeks. Weight loss has been slow but at least there has been a loss every week. However, now it seems life is getting in the way and my frustration level is rising. I have not been able to get back to the gym since last Friday. Our house is up for sale due to moving to a new duty station in July and with the housing market it is never to early to put it up for sale. They are showing the house a lot, which is great but...well with 3 kids it's a constant battle to keep or get the house in showing order. So that has cut into my gym time. Then my 2 year old got sick. Seems like just a cold but she has been running a temp so I can't take her to the daycare at the gym. Normally that would be no big deal, I would just go to the gym when my husband gets home from work. However, he is Airborne so of all times, he gets scheduled for a night jump this week...so bye bye gym. He went to work at 9:30am and didn't get home til 2:30am the next morning. And to top things off, I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder and it has gotten progressively worse the last 2 weeks and I can no longer lift weights or do push ups and have had to eliminate part of my toning workout. I will be going to the gym today, but now tomorrow I see the Dr for my arm and that will take up much of the day as I have to go all the way over to base to see the Dr. Saturday, my daughters have a birthday party to attend of which the parents are asked to stay and help supervise (that burns my whats it for...but I won't go there).

So, what do you guys do when life gets in the way of your weight loss goals? I mean, I have watched my eating but only being a few weeks into this I know how easy it is to lose my momentum in "wanting" to workout. :frown:

Replies

• brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing good with eating and had been sticking with a 3 workout a week schedule for the last couple weeks. Weight loss has been slow but at least there has been a loss every week. However, now it seems life is getting in the way and my frustration level is rising. I have not been able to get back to the gym since last Friday. Our house is up for sale due to moving to a new duty station in July and with the housing market it is never to early to put it up for sale. They are showing the house a lot, which is great but...well with 3 kids it's a constant battle to keep or get the house in showing order. So that has cut into my gym time. Then my 2 year old got sick. Seems like just a cold but she has been running a temp so I can't take her to the daycare at the gym. Normally that would be no big deal, I would just go to the gym when my husband gets home from work. However, he is Airborne so of all times, he gets scheduled for a night jump this week...so bye bye gym. He went to work at 9:30am and didn't get home til 2:30am the next morning. And to top things off, I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder and it has gotten progressively worse the last 2 weeks and I can no longer lift weights or do push ups and have had to eliminate part of my toning workout. I will be going to the gym today, but now tomorrow I see the Dr for my arm and that will take up much of the day as I have to go all the way over to base to see the Dr. Saturday, my daughters have a birthday party to attend of which the parents are asked to stay and help supervise (that burns my whats it for...but I won't go there).

So, what do you guys do when life gets in the way of your weight loss goals? I mean, I have watched my eating but only being a few weeks into this I know how easy it is to lose my momentum in "wanting" to workout. :frown:
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Life always gets in the way!!

Do you like to dance? I put on my favorite music and do chores and dance around the house, either with headphones or the stereo.

I am not a big believer that you need to exercise a ton to lose weight. If I cut calories, I lose it without exercise. I have to eat more in order to exercise, so it is not a big issue for me. I do it when I can and don't worry about it otherwise, since I am eating healthy. You get far more exercise then you realize by just being a Mom.

Exercise is a tool, but not the main one, which is eating right and calorie reduction.

I wish you speedy recovery on your shoulder.

Connie Lynn
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I would try to just make my regular activities more "exercisey" (like my word I just made it up, pretty good, huh). For example when you are making supper alternate lifting your legs straight out behind you. Or when your vaccuming do lunges when you go forward. Take five minutes here and there to do some squats or pleates. Those big muscles in your legs use a lot of calories and if you can't work anything else I suggest at least doing a little with them everyday.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I dance when getting ready in the morning.:happy: ..I jog in place on breaks at work. Even if I can only fit in 5 minutes, I take a brisk walk. I vacuum, sweep, dust...etc...and dance while doing it.:bigsmile: Every time I use the restroom at work I put my hands on the sink and do 20 push-ups. (I know its not the same as doing it on the floor, it's a little less weight you're pushing, but it helps)...I know, With your (uh oh I forgot already) :grumble: shoulder????, You cant really do pushups but just do a little dance, or do like 5-10 side bends, or that squat exercise.(anything, it only takes a few seconds) Exercise does accumulate through the day. When sitting, I keep my legs moving. When standing I sway my hips from side to side. As long as you're moving you're burning :tongue: I do my little facial exercises...(my boyfriend caught me doing it once and thought it was hilarious. I kind of do the A E I O U thing but flex my face and stretch it....hard to explain but it looks kind of funny...:laugh: anyhow, it exercises your face muscles...this double chin has to go...LOL) When driving, dance in your seat, or tighten your stomache, flex your leg muscles. I actually try to tighten my stomache as much as possible. When walking, sitting, working, driving, whatever....I try to do it most of the time during the day. Do some arm circles when walking from one room to another. You get the point. Anything you do, you can add a little extra movement to. Any movement=burnt calories....burnt calories=weight loss. Flexinig your muscles helps to tone them. You dont have to go to the gym. Watch your calories and fit in what u can. 1minute here, 30 seconds there, 10 minutes....whatever, it all adds up. Good Luck. Take care of that shoulder :smile: :wink:
  • juliara
    juliara Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't have kids but i know it's hard. But i have 3 pitbulls that are my babies :smile: They have been fighting with each other and i've been staying home with them, trying to get my home at peace again. What i do when i can't make it to the gym is i try to stay active(that's easy for you with kids :happy: .)
    I make sure i get 7000 to 10000 steps in a day. Not everyone does, but i have a treadmill at home and i squeese in 20 to 30 min. Have 2 pounds dumb bell weights and turn on the channel Fit Tv. And i've excersing my dogs more by talking them on a walk 30 to 45 min. I haven't been at the gym for a week now, going bk today because i don't cheat myself at the gym and do full workouts. And i home i easily turn on the TV and laydown and short my workouts. Hope i gave you some ideas that can help.
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    When the little one gets feeling better, take a walk, weather permitting. I have 2 kids and work full time, I have very little time for myself, or money for a gym. I use an exercise video before anyone is awake, then 3 times a week I do push ups sit ups etc. But maybe your body is telling you to let up a little. That's when I really enjoy walking. Good Luck, this to shall pass.
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    All great ideas! Thanks...sometimes it takes a reminder on some of that. I think sometimes I tell myself that 5 min is nothing but forget that if I do it here and there throughout the day that is adds up. Thanks everyone! Sometimes the frustration overwhelms me and then as a mother I start feeling guilty about thinking of myself. :ohwell:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    There are some things you can do either around the house, or if the kids are old enough to go to the park. If you don't have a lot of time you can do 10 or 15 minute, high intensity workouts. Instead of the jog or walk or eliptical...etc, that you would do at the gym, do things that are high intensity like 30 yard wind sprints (if you are at the park), or alternate between crunches (use a leg support like a large exercise ball so you don't hurt your back) and knee pushups, or some other semi-aerobic workouts (if you are at home),. If you can't do a lot of time, do quick, high intensity bursts for say 3 to 4 minutes with 60 second rest periods for a 10 minute total. It really does work and most people can afford 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day.

Incidentally, if you DO have the time, spacing out 4 or 5 10 minute high intensity workouts (I.E. getting your heartrate over 80% for 2 to 3 minutes with 60 seconds of a slower "rest period") is a good calorie burner, it keeps your muscles guessing as opposed to a steady, lower rate burn.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I dont have any kids but I do have a man...isnt that the same thing? LOL :laugh: J/K And I have a spoiled rottweiler...he actually helps me lose weight though. He makes me walk...LOL :laugh: I'm just saying I give you a lot of credit. You've got a full plate on your table. But everyone deserves some me time...even if its only a couple minutes here and there throughout the day. Remember if your happier with yourself, you'll be happier around the kids, and that means you'll have happier kids. Your moods do affect them. :smile: :wink: I work a 50-60hr wk job and my b/f still wants me to cook and clean (he helps clean but his cooking would amount to shells n cheese and ramen noodles...LOL) So even without kids, I guess I understand what you mean with life getting in the way. I'm waiting to hit that lotto any day now....:bigsmile: Anyway my whole point of reposting was to let you know that even with kids you still have to take care of yourself in order to take care of them so don't feel guilty : ) BTW...if you're doing all of that cleaning and taking care of kids and running around...you are probably burning more calories than you realize :bigsmile: