Diet Coke

Options
I read somewhere that you should stay away from all soda, why are the diet drinks like Diet coke so bad for you. I need some help here as I have been treating myself once or twice a week and will stop if it is hurting me.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Replies

• RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should stay away from all soda, why are the diet drinks like Diet coke so bad for you. I need some help here as I have been treating myself once or twice a week and will stop if it is hurting me.

Thanks in advance for any information.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of artificial sweeteners, but I think 1 or 2 a week is fine.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Some folks limit their sodium from sodas also, but I am not one of them. Diet sodas are one of my ONLY indulgences. Enjoy.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, found in many diet sodas, is so bad for you. I've been reading that it has actually been linked to multiple sclerosis in some people. Also, it's been proven that diet sodas actually make people hungry and they consume more junk food calories throughout the day. People who switched to regular sodas, actually lost weight than the diet drinkers.I steer clear from all artificial sweeteners except one (Splenda) which is actually made from sugar. Only a handful of sodas can be found made with Splenda (I like Pepsi One) but i only stick to 1 or 2 a week.:smile:
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    and the caffeine.
    i drink caffiene free diet coke. (right after my double espresso). the sodium is fairly inconsequential. the aspertame can be horrendous for you if you have an allergy. that stuff can cause brain damage. that's why they test babies for the allergy when they're a week old.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    My husband since he was dieabetic at a very young age was practically raised on it. He was constantly having issues with his joints and such. But several years ago he was having some major issues with his health. He was eating healthy, got plenty of exercise and sleep, and yet he began having extreme rises in blood sugar. He began losing weight and having various other problems sleeping. Well it became so severe I was honestly very scared. At the same time my daughter and I were having severe migraines. I started doing alot of research on possible causes. I found aspartame. I let him read all the information. Then we chose to take it out of our diet. It took 6 weeks but the change was amazing. He was gaining weight, sleeping better and his blood sugars did not have the rapid rises and falls. His joints were not hurting him and he could actually taste better. My daughter and I have not had severe migraines since.

I know this is a persoanl experience but I can't get over all the information out there that is similiar in nature to ours.

It is a choice but in my opinion it is not worth it. By the way he is very healthy now with no problems with his sugar levels.
  • jamie17
    Options
    "Aspartame (an ingredient commonly found in diet sodas and other sugar-free foods) has been blamed for a slew of scary maladies, like arthritis, birth defects, fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's lupus, MS, and diabetes. When methyl alcohol, a component of aspartame, enters your body, it turns into formaldehyde. Formaldehyde's toxic and carcinogenic (cancer-causing). Laboratory scientists use formaldehyde as a disinfectant or preservative... The FDA has received more complaints about aspartame than any other ingredient to date... When aspartame is paired with carbs, it causes your brain to slow down its production of serotonin. A healthy level of serotonin is needed to be happy and well balanced."

-From "Skinny *****," by Freedman and Barnouin

I still drink a diet coke now and then, but this is scary stuff.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I used to be a diet coke junkie. I never thought that I would be able to give that up. Funny thing happened...I now drink so much water that I don't even think about diet coke anymore. Even when I go out to eat, I drink water. Every once in a while I will get the urge for a DC and when I do I drink it.

I think DC is fine as long as you are not drinking 6 a day. Water is a much better choice for weight loss and healthy lifestyle.
  • RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, what I am hearing is that 1 or maybe 2 a week won't be harmful, and that is about what I do.

I also agree with bamboo, I am almost 100% water for my drinks now, and only occassionally have a craving. 1 month ago and before it wasn't unheard of for me to drink an entire 2 liter of sprite or diet coke or mountain dew in a day. I can't believe how bad my habits used to be.
  • omega3
    omega3 Posts: 9
    Options
    This article about the safety of aspartame seems pretty believable to me.

http://www.getbig.com/articles/aspartame1.htm
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas in particular have been linked to some forms of cancer ( I know stereotypical, everything leads to cancer these days) I find it possible to diet and not even eat "diet" foods. It's all about counting the calories and monitoring intake.

Soda in general isnt a very good thing to have in your diet but once in a while.
  • Erica92627
    Options
    "Aspartame (an ingredient commonly found in diet sodas and other sugar-free foods) has been blamed for a slew of scary maladies, like arthritis, birth defects, fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's lupus, MS, and diabetes. When methyl alcohol, a component of aspartame, enters your body, it turns into formaldehyde. Formaldehyde's toxic and carcinogenic (cancer-causing). Laboratory scientists use formaldehyde as a disinfectant or preservative... The FDA has received more complaints about aspartame than any other ingredient to date... When aspartame is paired with carbs, it causes your brain to slow down its production of serotonin. A healthy level of serotonin is needed to be happy and well balanced."

-From "Skinny *****," by Freedman and Barnouin

I still drink a diet coke now and then, but this is scary stuff.

right before I saw the title I was thinking I read that somewhere.. about aspartame and the FDA. Skinny B**** was a great book. It is as the author wrote it talking to the reader. I recommend the book.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic and the FDA have both published information to clarify that aspartame is completely safe. Most of the hype about it comes from some very unreliable sources. However, there is some very clear research that cites the dangers of caffiene and of the phosphates that are in carbonation. Like most junk food, a little indulgence won't hurt anyone but a steady diet of it is not advisable.

The internet can be both a blessing and a curse. Anyone can publish whatever they like and unless you do some digging into their credintials it can be pretty frightening.
  • localisap
    Options
    If you go to www.factorfiction.com clears up alot of food myths! Be careful, the website can be addictive!!:bigsmile:
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    If you go to www.factorfiction.com clears up alot of food myths! Be careful, the website can be addictive!!:bigsmile:

I don't understand how that site works??
  • localisap
    Options

I don't understand how that site works??

After you get to their homepage, on the left there are different topics. You click on the "food/nutrition" topic. It will have multiple topics/myths to click on and then it explains:happy: .