Fitbit???

Options
What's the best device to use that monitors calories burned etc. That won't cost me and arm and a leg?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip, it counts steps, tells me how many calories I've burned and syncs with mfp. The only exercise I do is walking, the zip works perfectly for this. Mine cost $80, but I'm in Australia where everything costs more :confounded:
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit One and got it for $100.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is not a bad device, but no device that measures calories burned is going to be 100% accurate. The calorie counters in gyms, on treadmills etc are notoriously inaccurate. The best method is going to be to pick a method, any method, follow it combined with your mfp data for a few weeks, and then adjust based on your personal experience. MFP will definitely over estimate, fitbit might underestimate, etc. Do some experimentation over time, adjust MFP for every 5-10 lbs/kilos lost, wash, rinse, and repeat until you've met your goal.

Good luck.
  • lizziesmom15
    lizziesmom15 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit app. It's free and counts steps.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    Free I like free.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Free I like free.

oh, and you can join weekly fitbit challenges that put a fire under your butt lol

Before I got mine, I was averaging around 2000-3000 steps a day, now my minimum is 20,000. Getting a fitbit has motivated me greatly.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What's the best device to use that monitors calories burned etc. That won't cost me and arm and a leg?

I don't know how much your looking to spend, but you can get:

Jawbone UP - $35 on amazon (it's an outdated model/discontinued)
    Jawbone UP2 - $79.99 -$99.99 on amazon
    Jawbone UP3 - $149.99-$179.99 on amazon

Fitbit Zip - $48.99 to $59.88 on amazon
    Fitbit One - $87.88 to $99 on amazon
    Fitbit Flex - $99 to $99.95 on amazon
    Fitbit Charge - $118.11 to $129 on amazon
    Fitbit ChargeHR - $149 to $149.95 on amazon

Garmin VivoFit - $70.72 to $74.03 on amazon
    Garmin VivoFit with HRM - $96.02 to $109.99 on amazon
    Garmin VivoFit2 - $99.99 on amazon
    Garmin VivoFit2 with HRM - $129.99 on amazon
    Garmin VivoSmart - $99 to $128.52 on amazon
    Garmin VivoSmart with HRM - $139.99 to $148.98

^These are the brands I usually see recommended.
    I personally have owned a Fitbit Zip, Fitbit Flex, and a Garmin VivoFit. I currently use the Fitbit Surge (far from budget friendly though). The Fitbit Zip and Flex underestimated my total daily calorie burn by about 200 calories per day on average. Garmin VivoFit...I really liked the device itself and actually contemplated making a permanent switch from Fitbit to Garmin, but I had constant issues with Garmin Connect that resulted in me getting rid of it after 53 days. That said, plenty of people love Garmin activity trackers and HRM's, so don't rule them out. The software just didn't preform to my liking.
    I would say pick the one that has the features you like and that fits within your budget.

~Difference in prices on same models are either size variation or color or both

If you can hold out though, I would look around online around Black Friday or Cyber Monday. You might be able to get one at a nice discount.
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i love my fitbit charge.
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR. I've had it about a week and I really like it. I was curious about the heartrate part so got the HR. I am lucky, my employer reimburses us $100/yr for fitness related expenses, so with the 20% coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond (and after my reimbursement) mine cost me $20. If you're in the states and have a Bed Bath and Beyond, use their 20% coupon and get it for $120 (20% off $149).

I don't know if it motivates me any more than I was before, or it's just my whole mindset that is more motivated. Until today, I thought the calories burned were fairly accurate. I have been curious of what I burn in a day without purposely exercising. I had a very emotional day today and did quite a bit of hysterical crying and my calorie burn for today seems to be through the roof....I suspect the heartrate part of it is the cause, so I'm pretty sure I didn't burn that many calories today....but other than that I love it!
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR. I've had it about a week and I really like it. I was curious about the heartrate part so got the HR. I am lucky, my employer reimburses us $100/yr for fitness related expenses, so with the 20% coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond (and after my reimbursement) mine cost me $20. If you're in the states and have a Bed Bath and Beyond, use their 20% coupon and get it for $120 (20% off $149).

I don't know if it motivates me any more than I was before, or it's just my whole mindset that is more motivated. Until today, I thought the calories burned were fairly accurate. I have been curious of what I burn in a day without purposely exercising. I had a very emotional day today and did quite a bit of hysterical crying and my calorie burn for today seems to be through the roof....I suspect the heartrate part of it is the cause, so I'm pretty sure I didn't burn that many calories today....but other than that I love it!

Thanks, this app has really helped me, I work as administrator of our local Christian school and I walk the halls all day. I can not have my cell phone on me because I have no pockets in my work clothes so I need something easier go monitor my steps and calorie burn. Thanks for your advice.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit ONe. My husband has the watch version of the Fitbit because he wanted his to include the heart monitor. I wasn't as much interested in the heart monitor because I'm more focused on the calories in/calories out. He's doing things like P90X and ran a marathon - so it was important to him to have the heart monitor incorporated.

I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on what numbers you're interested in tracking - whether a heart monitor is important, whether you're interested in tracking how you're sleeping, etc. etc.

The Fitbit One's cost about $100. I bought Fitbit One's for my sister's and my mother, and got them off of E-bay for about $75-80 each. Sometimes, they'll go on sale too. (around Christmas)
  • sts1201
    sts1201 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do I get my Fitbit Charge to sinc with MFP on my smartphone?
  • lizziesmom15
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit ONe. My husband has the watch version of the Fitbit because he wanted his to include the heart monitor. I wasn't as much interested in the heart monitor because I'm more focused on the calories in/calories out. He's doing things like P90X and ran a marathon - so it was important to him to have the heart monitor incorporated.

I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on what numbers you're interested in tracking - whether a heart monitor is important, whether you're interested in tracking how you're sleeping, etc. etc.

The Fitbit One's cost about $100. I bought Fitbit One's for my sister's and my mother, and got them off of E-bay for about $75-80 each. Sometimes, they'll go on sale too. (around Christmas)

I'm not too concerned with the heart rate sleep thing. I just need something simple
    Thanks for the advice
  • kbeaman206
    kbeaman206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the Jawbone/UP ... it monitors my sleep and keeps a pretty accurate account of my daily steps. The app is user friendly ... and, I use RunKeeper app to track my walking. As with many of us, we exercise alone and it gets BORING !! yes !! RunKeeper talks to you and links to your music .. ie iTunes..etc. Then, I also, have MyFitnessPal app on my phone and on my laptop. The UP and RunKeeper app link to MyFitnessPal flaulessly...so exercise is correct. All you need to do is input your daily food intake in MyFitnessPal and the you have a complete picture of what you are doing. It makes all of this more interesting for me, and once a person gets used taking the time to input the info, it keeps the journey rather interesting.
    I have had my Jawbone for about 3 yrs. Long before I became involved in these challenges !
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    sts1201 wrote: »

Go to apps on your sidebar and download the fitbit app, follow instructions.
  • kbeaman206
    kbeaman206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sts1201 wrote: »

In MFP app on your phone..go to 'more'....scroll down to APPS & DEVICES...AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS .. SHOULD LINK