Birthday Dining out

Options
katkins3
katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
My birthday is Friday. My daughter and her husband are taking me out. We aren't going to a chain restaurant, so I can't look up calories in advance. I'm thinking of just having what I want for one meal, (within reason). It's a sushi place, so I think I'll have some healthy choices. The question is: restraint or "live a minute" and enjoy myself?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Its your birthday, enjoy yourself!! That being said, if it was me i would make sure i was super good all week and worked out every day so that i didnt feel bad about having a treat on friday! just think of it as a metabolism booster!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oops, double post!
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    My birthday is on Friday too.
    I do want a cake (or a slice) but if I get a cake, it will just be me and my boyfrinend eating it, and he's not fond of cake. So I may be good this year and not have it. Or just buy one cupcake for me.

I also have the dilema of what to eat; we are going out on Saturday to a B&B and it includes dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday. It's ok to splurge once in a while but I've not been on track for a week. :S
  • Missashley9
    Options
    You have to allow yourself some "cheats" in order to stay sane-- at least I know I do. I know a lot of people who are "good" all week long, then allow themselves to cheat on like Friday nite, or the weekend. I have been doing that myself. Last Friday nite, I was craving Mexican, so we went to a local place. They don't have nutritional info, either, but I let myself have a chimichanga and beans & rice, chips & salsa. Then Sunday morning, I was back to "normal." If you don't have something to look forward to, on a regular basis, I think it's too difficult. Happy B-day & good luck!
  • jlmarcin
    jlmarcin Posts: 36
    Options
    If you are worried, maybe take a look at this first? It is a calorie index for sushi meshed from a lot of different places. It at least gives you an idea, right? Happy Birthday!

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Its your birthday, enjoy yourself!! That being said, if it was me i would make sure i was super good all week and worked out every day so that i didnt feel bad about having a treat on friday! just think of it as a metabolism booster!

I agree. Also, are you trying to lose weight by a certain date (you have an occasion coming up) or you are just on a weight loss plan? If you don't need to lose weight fast, then definately treat yourself and have a great night. Even if you gain alittle weight sometimes it's things like that that keep us on track for the next time:)
    Happy Birthday:)
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Enjoy yourself, this is not a prison sentence!! As long as you are able to log and make a rough guess on the calories then you can make up for it. Have a great evening and keep smiling, happy birthday for whenever it is x
  • katkins3
    Options
    I plan to start out with miso soup and edamame. That should take the edge off.
  • katkins3
    Options
    I don't have a time goal, so one meal won't really matter in the long run. I think I need to allow a bit of fun now and then; I want a lifestyle, not a life sentence..
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's my Birthday a week on Friday and I plan on having the night off.

I plan on a nice meal somewhere fancy and lots of Prosecco. I figure that one evening isn't going to undo 4 months of hard work....