Been counting calories for over 50 days and nothing.

Options
Pretty much what it says. I've been counting calories for over 50 days now and nothing. I'm 5'8" and 105 kilo. I would like to lose at least 15 kilo. I started out at 1700ish calories a day. I did this for three weeks and nothing. Not a budge in my weight. I've switched down to 1480 calories now. I've had some bad days, but most days I do well. I'm avoiding carbs and sugars, eating mostly vegetables and meat. Still nothing.

I fluctuate in weight about a kilo's worth, but I'm almost consistently over 105. I don't lift weights, but I do go for hour plus long fast walks at least four times a week. I bike at least once a week with my 15 kilo son on the back of the bike.

Any ideas on what else I can do? I don't have access to weights but anything else weight training wise I can do without weights would be welcome.

I was complaining about lack of weight loss to my mother and she suggested it may have something to do with my thyroid. She bounces between hyper- and hypothyroidism (tending to hypo) and said it can run in the family. One of the side effects can be weight gain and difficulty losing weight. Does any one have any experience with this?

Replies

• tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you visiting your doctor before moving forward. It could be your thyroid.
  • Wonderfilledwoman
    Options
    I would definitely have your thyroid tested. How is your water intake? That alone makes a big difference. Try to make sure your food intake is spread out throughout the day, and not eat as much at night if possible. Don't give up. When you go to the dr. to have your thyroid tested, ask about diabetes too. Wouldn't hurt to tell the dr. about your efforts and lack of results, maybe they will have some clues...that's what they get paid the big bucks for, right?
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    double post. sorry
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    From looking over your diary for the past two weeks or so I wondered if you had considered cutting out all alcohol and eating more clean food? This would mean cutting out more junk food, such as crisps, takeaways etc, swapping white grain foods for wholegrain foods (rice, pasta, bread), eating more fruit and veg.

I do sympathize, as these can be hard changes to make, take care xx
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    Visiting your food diary, just observing a few days....I think you should try watching portions. Replace more of the heavy/high calorie choices with healthier/low calorie ones.

If you're drinking water and not logging it, great. But if you're NOT drinking any water. Give it a go! Give your body what it needs so it won't be inclined to retain every drop, fearing it will never be replaced.

Just my suggestions....hope either or both will help :drinker:
  • walkingingrace2011
    Options
    Good morning! I just saw your post and thought I might suggest a few things for you to try. I have found that breaking up my calories and eating about five times per day is helpful. It keeps the blood sugar more stable and your body doesn't think you are starving it. When you go walking, you may want to try short stints of jogging/running to elevate your heart rate. Also, you said you do not have access to weights. You can use things around the house to substitute for hand weights, (e.g., bottled water, canned veggies, soft drink cans, etc.). I know how stressful it can be to really try and nothing happens. I hope some of these suggestions work for you. Keep me posted and all the best to you on your weightloss journey!

~Princess on Mission SlimPossible
  • blankcanvas
    blankcanvas Posts: 177
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid and it's sooo frustrating! I am 'stuck' as well and am thinking that perhaps my meds need an adjustment again since I have lost a bit of weight. For now tho, I continue to exercise each day and try to eat healthy, hoping one of these days my metabolism will kick in again. Hang in there, it just may take some time, if you do have a thyroid issue. Don't get frustrated by reading other posts by some who seem to lose much quicker. Ive learned it's quite a feat to lose ANY weight with thyroid problems, our one pound may be equivalent to someone elses five lbs:) good luck you'll get there!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You need more fresh foods. Lean meats and fish, fresh veggies, fresh fruits, whole grain low carb breads, lower calorie snacks.
    You should also track your sodium. Your diary doesn't seem to have many homemade foods.
  • Breeze4ever888
    Breeze4ever888 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It may be something medical and that you should consult your doctor. It could be your thyroids but we can't say for sure until you get it checked out. Doctors are real supportive for those who are trying to lose weight. You might need to get some test done etc Hopefully with some results he/she can steer you into the right direction. Thumbs up for starting. There are people here who will support you, so keep us posted on your progress.

Breeze4ever888
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi I agree that you may need to see your doctor just to get it checked out.

I also started out with similar stat to you and from memory i started out on higher calories than that. I am only now down to 1800 cals a day at 92kgs. Maybe you arent eating enough to get and keep up the metabolism. So something wlse you may consider. not sure what you put down as your goals when you started but I put in a pound a week
  • travelinghobbit
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

I do not drink a lot of water, it's true. I will work on getting that up.

Regarding the alcohol consumption and take aways, the past two weeks have been really bad. We've been traveling and food generally results to the easiest thing. :/

Most of my cooking is in fact homemade. I live in NZ so some of the things I can find the closest approximations to are package things. I do do a bit of guessing as brand matching. I should try to find closer ones or actually put the info in myself for packaged food that not in.

How do you count the homemade soups/casseroles/pizzas/breads/etc other than finding each ingredient and putting it in by itself?

I think I will be scheduling an appointment next week to see about my thyroid.

Thanks again for the replies! :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary ..your caloric intake seems to be inconsistent and sometimes very high sodium...I have a hypo thyroid ...it does hinder weight loss BUT with proper calories and exercise its very do-able...I suggest you start tracking your sodium and talk to a Dietician..good luck
  • lamariem
    lamariem Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree that more fresh, clean, whole foods and water could help. However, if your net calories are on target for 50 days I would think you'd see SOME change. I would also suggest seeing a doctor.
    If there is nothing medical going on, maybe try switching things up and confusing your body a bit. I did 3 weeks of high protein/ high fat/ extremely low carbs (like atkins) with only daily activity for exercise (I am very active though). Then I went back to my normal, healthyish diet, just counting calories, and reintroduced daily workouts. I dropped 2 pant sizes in 5 weeks! (Oddly, I have only "lost" 6 pounds, but the new pants don't lie!)
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Ive just had a look at your diary, and I dont mean to be rude but you are over eating. I went back a few days, and you were over eating by 1000 calories each day on quite a few of the times.
    3500 cals is equivelent to 1lb in weight.. Im no saint on here, I admit to having my bad days and go over by 500cals or so, but going over so much on a regular basis isnt going to help you lose weight.

I suggest to plan what you eat. Dont just eat chocolate for breakfast, have porriage or eggs which will keep you full. Have around 400cals for lunch and no more than 500 cals for dinner. Snack on fruit if you feel peckish. If you feel you need a sugar boost eat a small treat, without over doing it.

I dont mean to sound horrible, but I like it when people on here tell me what they think without tiptoeing around me. If I was to say 'dont worry it will happen eventutally' then you might lose motivation.

Emma
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I would def get yoursefl checked out at the Dr's as almost 2 months and no loss at all sounds a bit odd... Provided that you have been sticking to the plan of course.

Little things like milk in tea / coffee / a small glass of OJ/ Olive Oil to cook your lean meat / dressings on salad etc.. all add up and if you are not logging things like this then you could be taking more calories than you think?

Also a few days being really under goal then a day being quite over goal isn't really condusive. It just means you are confusing your body. Weightloss is all about perserverance and stability.

I try to be consistently within 100 cals of my goal each day.

Also you have to think about the type of foods you eat - I could have fast food every day and keep myself under my daily allowance but I wouldn't be healthy?

Booze is anothe factor, I love my wine but I try to drink very occasionally now as it creates water weight (also if I drinkt oo much it makes me hungry and I get terrible hang over munchies the next day!)
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

I do not drink a lot of water, it's true. I will work on getting that up.

Regarding the alcohol consumption and take aways, the past two weeks have been really bad. We've been traveling and food generally results to the easiest thing. :/

Most of my cooking is in fact homemade. I live in NZ so some of the things I can find the closest approximations to are package things. I do do a bit of guessing as brand matching. I should try to find closer ones or actually put the info in myself for packaged food that not in.

How do you count the homemade soups/casseroles/pizzas/breads/etc other than finding each ingredient and putting it in by itself?

I think I will be scheduling an appointment next week to see about my thyroid.

Thanks again for the replies! :)

There is a tool on this site where you can list the ingredients in homemade food and it will calculate the calories for you. Alcohol is the worst thing for someone trying to lose weight. I understand traveling makes it harder but it is still possible to make smarter choices. Your breakfast intake is really low and this really is the most important meal of the day, consider eating more then and trying whole grain options, oatmeal, egg whites w/whole grain toast.

I would also suggest cutting your servings in half at restaurants and splitting it with someone or getting a to go container.

Good luck
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    one of the tabs on this site is labeled FOOD, within the FOOD tab is a tab labeled RECIPES. The recipe tool is awesome it allows you to enter all your ingredients and gives you back the nutritional breakdown. Its very helpful.

I would urge you to monitor your sodium, drop one of the other things you monitor....maybe fiber (if you eat whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies you're probably doing well with your fiber anyway). The MFP site sets your sodium "goal" as 2,500 mg/day. This should really be considered the very most outer limit. Most professionals advise you to consume no more that 1,500 mg/day of sodium! To do that you really need to avoid processed foods and learn to make your own from fresh ingredients.

You may want to do a search on this site for "clean eating". It will bring you many threads where how to eat clean is discussed. One of the main ideas is to eliminate as much as possible refined carbs such as white flour, white bread, white rice, white pasta and anything with added sugar(s). These refined foods are void of most nutritional value and take up way to much space in a diet that is calorie restricted.

good luck and happy eating!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Visiting your food diary, just observing a few days....I think you should try watching portions. Replace more of the heavy/high calorie choices with healthier/low calorie ones.

If you're drinking water and not logging it, great. But if you're NOT drinking any water. Give it a go! Give your body what it needs so it won't be inclined to retain every drop, fearing it will never be replaced.

Just my suggestions....hope either or both will help :drinker:

Yes, this, and rule out thyroid. But also read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your breakfasts are not great - try fruit and plain yogurt or oats/meusli and I agree with the water v alcohol intake. you actually need water to metabolise fat from your body - I wouls also focus more on trying to eat your 5 a day....fruit is very good for you

good luck I hope you soon see results
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Do no harm to check out things with doctor, but everyone has pretty much said what I was thinking when I looked at your diary cut out the junk and add more water be vert strict on yourself as I test for maybe 2 weeks stay under you calories excerise and you don't have to eat back all excerise calories and I bet you would see a change. Once you get weight loss moving then you can have your "treat days" but that is just what they should be "treats" good luck