Gym vs Home!

Options
I'm certain there's a thread somewhere about your preference to workout but since I don't have a membership, my exercise is mainly walking at my son's school and working out at home. Besides the machines, am I really missing out on not having a gym membership? Also, which do you prefer? Are there specific exercises that can be done to tone the triceps without the biceps getting too bulky? * Thanks*

Replies

• khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think you can do a lot at home without a gym. My gym membership ran out last November, right around Thanksgiving. I was nursing a bad Achilles Tendon injury and was ordered to completely rest it for 6 weeks, so I decided to not renew until I was better and could actually use the gym more.

I started doing physical therapy, and when I was ready for a little activity I just worked out at home doing yoga DVDs and also these low-impact workouts I found on YouTube channel called Fitness Blender. Between that and going for walks, I think you can get plenty of activity without paying for a gym.

Having said that...I just joined another gym that is closer to my house and about $20 cheaper per month - and I wanted an excuse to get out of the house and to work out with weights with my husband. I also missed having access to a pool. I also sometimes enjoy a class, like aqua aerobics or a yoga class - although most of the time I prefer the flexibility of working out when I want to and not when a class is scheduled.

I like triceps kickbacks for my triceps. There's no way we're getting bulky - we don't have the required testosterone for that. Don't worry. It's never going to happen!

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    They both have their benefits and I enjoy using both. Some days I enjoy taking a class with a small group and other days I want to sweat by myself. You can use free exercise videos on Netflix or Youtube if you want to work out at home. Also, you can do a lot of bodyweight exercises at home to help strengthen your body. For example, pilates work, pushups, burpees, mountain climbers, tricep dips and kickbacks to name a few.

I think it really comes down to which are you most likely to use more? Some people will go to a gym to exercise because they do not want to pay for a membership and not use it and know if they don't have a membership that they will talk themselves out of exercising at home. Others, prefer not to be in front of people at the gym because they feel self conscious about their weight or lack of knowledge in using the equipment and will exercise regularly at home.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky, women aren't made that way. Fitness Blender has an online website with a huge variety of videos. I've invested in a collection of dumbbells and alternate between lifting and aerobic with a good dose of stretching when needed.

I've had a gym membership and I enjoyed it but it's not financially viable right now. I say make it work for you, be it at home or at a gym. :)
  • lauraleefaith
    lauraleefaith Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I like both.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I like to go to the gym. It's easier to motivate myself to go. But I mostly use it for cardio. I do bodyweight exercises at home. When I lived in the country, I just went outside, so I could enjoy nature along with my fitness routine.

For triceps, I really like pushups, and dips.As mentioned before, you likely won't get bulky anyhow, so weight training may still be better. After all, I am 260 pounds, so bodyweight training is significant for me, ymmv.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    People go to gym mostly for machines and weights because they are more convenient than running outside in hot weather or buying a heavy weight set (if you're into that). Other than that there is nothing special. You can develop your fitness in a variety of ways without the need for a gym membership depending on your goals. To tone arms you need to do two things: exercise them and lose fat. Doing one without the other does not give you the desired effect you are looking for. Feel free to pick any arm exercises you want, women don't get bulky unless they train specifically for that purpose, which takes a long time and a lot of dedication. You won't get bulky accidentally no matter your choice of exercise.
  • renea0729
    renea0729 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    I think you can do a lot at home without a gym. My gym membership ran out last November, right around Thanksgiving. I was nursing a bad Achilles Tendon injury and was ordered to completely rest it for 6 weeks, so I decided to not renew until I was better and could actually use the gym more.

I started doing physical therapy, and when I was ready for a little activity I just worked out at home doing yoga DVDs and also these low-impact workouts I found on YouTube channel called Fitness Blender. Between that and going for walks, I think you can get plenty of activity without paying for a gym.

Having said that...I just joined another gym that is closer to my house and about $20 cheaper per month - and I wanted an excuse to get out of the house and to work out with weights with my husband. I also missed having access to a pool. I also sometimes enjoy a class, like aqua aerobics or a yoga class - although most of the time I prefer the flexibility of working out when I want to and not when a class is scheduled.

I like triceps kickbacks for my triceps. There's no way we're getting bulky - we don't have the required testosterone for that. Don't worry. It's never going to happen!

• renea0729
    Options
    Hi, glad to hear that you recovered from the injury...I know that the YMCA offers tons of classes including my fave, Zumba, and it's much cheaper than most of the gyms we have here in Houston. I'm not familiar with a tricep kickback. I try to use my kettle bell for what little ST I get done. Thanks for the response, I'm going to check out that YouTube channel and maybe down the road incorporate some yoga. I've still got lots of weight to lose. Best wishes! :)
  • renea0729
    Options
    You won't get bulky, women aren't made that way. Fitness Blender has an online website with a huge variety of videos. I've invested in a collection of dumbbells and alternate between lifting and aerobic with a good dose of stretching when needed.

I've had a gym membership and I enjoyed it but it's not financially viable right now. I say make it work for you, be it at home or at a gym. :)

• renea0729
    Options
    Thanks for your response for now, I will keep doing what I'm doing. Someone else suggested that Youtube channel so I'll definitely check it out.. The only piece of gym equipment I own is an elliptical, but so far it seems to be assisting with the other at home methods plus tons of walking that I do at my son's school 5 days a week. Best wishes! :)