i dont get how to diary food sometimes..

Options
I went to the salad bar today..I cant sit here and measure out everything from the SB and frankly I dont have the time to put each little thing in the food search, find it and guess how much I ate.\. Or what about when you make a receipe...Like I made polenta and used milk, cheese and butter...I mean who knows how much of all that I ate..So hard

Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I went to the salad bar today..I cant sit here and measure out everything from the SB and frankly I dont have the time to put each little thing in the food search, find it and guess how much I ate.\. Or what about when you make a receipe...Like I made polenta and used milk, cheese and butter...I mean who knows how much of all that I ate..So hard
  • gntait
    gntait Posts: 1
    Options
    It can be tough - I'm a perfectionist too. Sometimes a "guesstimate" is better than exact numbers. I'm a believer if you get into a rhythm of entering things then that's what matters in the long run - not if you're off by 100 calories here and there. For example, type "polenta" into the foot database and 15+ items are returned. Just choose one of them and the appropriate portion you ate. It's better than nothing. Good luck!
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yea salad bars are a tough one for me too. Our local supermarket has a great SB and I go alot for lunch. I do what coronalime suggested. I know what I put on my salad which is close to a chef salad so I guesstimate with what is already in the database. Alot of people have been nice enough to figure up calories and servings and put it into the database. You can get pretty close.

Hopefully someone else can help out even more. :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

This is where 'my meals' comes in handy. You list all the things you normally have on a salad, and click on 'create meal'. That way, it's easy to repeat without all the work involved.

Also there are sites out there (don't have it handy right now, but I can research it), that let you enter how much of an ingredient you used to create your own recipes when it's home made! Very handy. You'll get the hang of it, just stick with it and practice a few times -- once you're meals are created you don't have to do them again!

ADDENDUM: Here you go -- http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
    It'll help.