Adult Picky Eater Seeking Healthy Dietary Changes

Options
I need to make some serious dietary changes because of my health. I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been struggling with high blood pressure. The issue is that I have a sensitive palate and am a very picky eater. It is a struggle to get proper nutrients in my diet and most of the foods dietitians say to eat are things I struggle to stomach (e.g. vegetables, seafood, many fruits, yogurt, etc.). Any suggestions would be welcome to add variety to the few things I am able to eat.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    You might have to simplify your diet. I don't know what you usually like but am guessing that it is pasta, breads, those foods that most picky eaters find palatable. load up on those lean proteins that you do like and fruits and veggies that you will eat and make sure that is the majority of what you are eating. Cut back on the simple carbs. Log your food and calories in MFP and you will see quickly that you get more full on the protein and veggies.

I tend to eat the same thing most days...
    coffee with milk and maybe a light breakfast (egg, yogurt, oatmeal)
    A sliced apple and 3 oz of chicken breast for early lunch
    Snack of soup or a protein bar
    Dinner of lean protein and lots of veggies

I only do 1200 calories but that leaves me about 100-200 calories for a sweet treat at night

Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I need to make some serious dietary changes because of my health. I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been struggling with high blood pressure. The issue is that I have a sensitive palate and am a very picky eater. It is a struggle to get proper nutrients in my diet and most of the foods dietitians say to eat are things I struggle to stomach (e.g. vegetables, seafood, many fruits, yogurt, etc.). Any suggestions would be welcome to add variety to the few things I am able to eat.

So what do you eat?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What are you currently eating?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tell us what you do eat. Chicken? Pizza? Rice? Green beans?
  • SiSePuede05
    SiSePuede05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The fruits I like are apples, strawberries, bananas, and grapes. The only vegetables I can tolerate are uncooked spinach (smothered in salad dressing) and corn (smothered in butter). I do not eat any seafood, so my sole protein sources tend to be red meats and chicken. The consistency of foods like yogurt make me nauseous and I am on a fixed income, so it is difficult to buy healthier options when unhealthy is cheaper. I eat whole wheat bread, but try not to frequently. Really, I'm hoping for some tricks to make myself eat the things I need.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    The foods you eat are fine.

I tend to respond to these "picky eater" threads a lot because I have an autistic child who has an extremely limited diet. I do believe it is possible to have a healthful diet despite food limitations.

I see that you enjoy beef and chicken, and raw spinach with dressing, a few different fruits, and some grains like corn and wheat.

Can you do milk or cheese at all? Any of the low carb bread options? My son eats low carb tortillas (mission brand, low carb flour tortillas) for the high fiber content.

Just eat what you enjoy, with an emphasis on protein. Examples-

Breakfast-a low carb tortilla with melted cheese for breakfast,

Lunch- deli meat sandwich or wrap with the low carb tortillas i mentioned for lunch

Dinner
    - some chicken breast and corn or spinach with dressing/butter for dinner.

add fruit, reduced sugar ice cream, a protein bar, or whatever to fill in the rest of your calories for the day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The fruits I like are apples, strawberries, bananas, and grapes. The only vegetables I can tolerate are uncooked spinach (smothered in salad dressing) and corn (smothered in butter). I do not eat any seafood, so my sole protein sources tend to be red meats and chicken. The consistency of foods like yogurt make me nauseous and I am on a fixed income, so it is difficult to buy healthier options when unhealthy is cheaper. I eat whole wheat bread, but try not to frequently. Really, I'm hoping for some tricks to make myself eat the things I need.

Red meat and chicken along with raw apples, strawberries, bananas, grapes and some cooked veggies works fine.
    For more inexpensive options to work with can you eat sandwiches with regular white bread? Peanuts and peanut butter? Eggs and bacon?
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Look for Bolthouse Yogurt Salad dressing in the produce section. Has about 1/3 to 1/4 of the calories of typical mayo based dressing and it tastes really good (not as good as mayo, but a lot better than dressings labeled "Low Fat"). Be sure to weigh or measure the servings.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You sure about the 'adult' part?
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Red meat and chicken along with raw apples, strawberries, bananas, grapes and some cooked veggies works fine.
    For more inexpensive options to work with can you eat sandwiches with regular white bread? Peanuts and peanut butter? Eggs and bacon?

This sounds yummy to me. But if you were put on medication, here is the issue with a diet that could land you in the low or lower carb range:

Tell your doctor, as your medications may need to be adjusted. Sometimes even eliminated (so it's not a terrible thing, just something you need your doc to help you do safely).
  • SiSePuede05
    SiSePuede05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I will definitely take a lot of it under consideration, especially the suggestions of brands and food combinations. Any other suggestions are welcome, but this is a good starting point.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you want variety, the best advice I can give you is to try the things you don't like prepared in different ways. Raw, steamed, poached, roasted, sauteed, braised, stewed, with different seasonings, with butter/oil and without.

Make small amounts and try a bite or two, don't make yourself eat more than that at one sitting. Don't just try them one day, try them several times. Sometimes tastes and textures grow on you. Some things you might not like to eat straight, but you might like them as a flavoring for the dish, so keep that in mind (I feel this way about mushrooms). See if there's anything about the taste/texture that you do like. There may be ways to bring that out while 'hiding' what you don't like.

Basically, start experimenting.
  • kimbalion23
    kimbalion23 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I also do not like vegetables. However, I have a nutrabullet and I make a smoothie using a frozen banana, 5 strawberries, 4 oz orange juice and anything else I want because I'll never taste it. The banana, strawberry, oj covers everything else. I've put in grapes, blueberries, spinach, kale, broccoli, carrots, etc. Just add water to get it to the consistency you like. I've been known to have these for lunch everyday.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    If you want variety, the best advice I can give you is to try the things you don't like prepared in different ways. Raw, steamed, poached, roasted, sauteed, braised, stewed, with different seasonings, with butter/oil and without.

Make small amounts and try a bite or two, don't make yourself eat more than that at one sitting. Don't just try them one day, try them several times. Sometimes tastes and textures grow on you. Some things you might not like to eat straight, but you might like them as a flavoring for the dish, so keep that in mind (I feel this way about mushrooms). See if there's anything about the taste/texture that you do like. There may be ways to bring that out while 'hiding' what you don't like.

Basically, start experimenting.

I 100% agree with this. You may need to try a food several different ways before you find the way you like it. I like most fresh vegetables steamed and plain, though I sometimes add Lowry's seasoning salt or lemon juice. I also like some vegetables (fresh green beans!) sauteed in a little butter and seasoning salt. I would say that vegetables are a bit of an acquired taste. We didn't really have a lot of vegetable variety as a kid, however as I've become an adult I have branched out and tried new things and found that I have grown to like them very much. Try baby carrots as a snack (they are pretty sweet and non-offensive), and once you decide those are tolerable maybe add in some sliced red bell peppers (also sweet), and then some cucumber slices (neutral flavor). Do you like potatoes? I love adding chopped spinach, peppers, and onions to potatoes as I saute them. They don't really add a whole lot of flavor, however they make the visual presentation so much more exciting and it helps me get more veggies in my diet.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Mmmm ... I'm visualizing a salad with spinach, strawberries, grilled chicken, cashews, maybe apples and cheese, and some delicious poppy seed dressing. Maybe try adding in a bit of spring mix, too. Do you like mushrooms? That would be a great addition.

You can get pretty creative within those foods you listed, and maybe try expanding your palate a bit at a time (like spring mix or mushrooms to a salad where you like everything else).

Do you like dairy? Nuts? Eggs? Those could really help round out your diet.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You may not like vegetables that have been overcooked. I know a number of people who professed to hate veg because it was gross, turns oh they just don't like them cooked to a grey mush you could suck through a straw, but tender crisp or Raw they like them just fine.

I think a bit of experimenting is in order. For instance, this past weekend I went to a friends house and brought dinner. I brought a kale, feta, red onion, pecan and avocado salad with an apple cider vinegarette to accompany a spinach cannelloni dish. None of these things are foods these friends would typically have, and I could tell by my friends husbands face he was not quite sure what to make of this kale and avocado creation. He mentioned he didn't like avocado with chips, and that he found kale bitter, but he tried it anyways just to see. He ended up eating half the bowl because the combination works together. The dressing and avocado took away from some of the bitterness of the kale, the feta added a salty component and the pecans were sweet and nutty, so it is worth trying different food combinations and trying foods a few different ways. You might surprise yourself with what you like. I hate cooked kale, raw it is good, I love broccoli, but if it is overcooked and grey, gross.