Gaining musscle after weight loss

Options
hey everyone, I weighed 118kgs and over the year I have since reached my goal off 70kgs. I didn't expect to go this low let alone actually achieve this but unfourtently I may have gotten to small. I just turned 18 an I was hoping someone could offer advice on how many calories and what my macro nutrients should be as I don't want to dirty bulk as I still have tht fear of putting in a lot of fat and being overweight thank youse slot !

Replies

• wyattcain1997
    wyattcain1997 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My progress shots from January this year to now
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great work!
    Have you set new goals on MFP app?
    Because it will give you new macros (Protein, fat & carbohydrates) dietary goals.
    (I did not know until recently that body needs fats to break down protein in order to absorb it.)
    Balancing these three will boost muscle growth and fat loss.
    I hope other members will contribute with more detailed information.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do keep in mind that
    1) you will need to eat a calorie surplus to gain muscle. That will be hard with your fears. Do keep in mind you are not the same person you were. Yes you will gain weight, but this time it will deliberate by you making the right choices.
    2) When bulking you will gain fat, at the minimum 50% of your weight gain. Almost no preventing it.

As to eating, set MFP to a 0.5 lbs gain a week, which is a 250 calorie surplus and thus a clean bulk.
    Your macro's should be:
    0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of body mass
    0.4-0.45 grams of fat per pound of body mass.
    Fill the rest with carbs. Also red the beginners guide to bulking ;)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners
    This and the post linked in that thread.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Do keep in mind that
    1) you will need to eat a calorie surplus to gain muscle. That will be hard with your fears. Do keep in mind you are not the same person you were. Yes you will gain weight, but this time it will deliberate by you making the right choices.
    2) When bulking you will gain fat, at the minimum 50% of your weight gain. Almost no preventing it.

As to eating, set MFP to a 0.5 lbs gain a week, which is a 250 calorie surplus and thus a clean bulk.
    Your macro's should be:

All of this including lifting heavy (mainly compound movements for all over body workout), taking appropriate rest days and getting enough sleep to aid your growth. Well done and good luck.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, I weighed 118kgs and over the year I have since reached my goal off 70kgs. I didn't expect to go this low let alone actually achieve this but unfourtently I may have gotten to small. I just turned 18 an I was hoping someone could offer advice on how many calories and what my macro nutrients should be as I don't want to dirty bulk as I still have tht fear of putting in a lot of fat and being overweight thank youse slot !

First of all congrats on the weight loss. I know how hard mentally it is to think about putting weight back on again, especially fat after losing all that weight. However as @AsISmile said, you are no longer the person you are. When you eat more, you will put muscle one but you will also put fat on as well but provided you do a slow bulk, the amount of muscle and fat gain will be equal. I had thought like you and had the fear of putting fat on after I lost the weight on years ago but once I got over the mental aspect of putting on fat, I increased my weight by 15kg over the last year & half. I'm sure you will be able to as well. Include the heavy lifting as @slideaway1 said.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »
    Great work!
    Have you set new goals on MFP app?
    Because it will give you new macros (Protein, fat & carbohydrates) dietary goals.
    (I did not know until recently that body needs fats to break down protein in order to absorb it.)
    Balancing these three will boost muscle growth and fat loss.
    I hope other members will contribute with more detailed information.

Yeah fat helps your body absorb vitamins and minerals. It also helps your body produce hormones like testosterone. However, you don't need all that much of it so I would limit the amount to whatever you get from meat and dairy. In my experience too much fat in my diet bogs me down and hurts my cardio. I say focus on getting your protein minimum and focus mostly on getting good carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you been following a structured lifting program yet? If not, I would eat a maintenance and follow the program for a few months prior to bulking. Your body will be more inclined to increase muscle efficiency prior to adding new mass.
  • wyattcain1997
    wyattcain1997 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a structured lifting program, thanks everyone for the good advice and support has helped me out heaps and given me a really good place to start! Can't wait to continue improving my fitness and health :) muchly appreciated
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Look up reverse dieting. That's how I come off a cut for a lean bulk.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine will tell you not only your BMI at any particular weight,
    but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Another common question is about percentage of carbs, fat, & protein.
    Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for someone with a calorie goal of 2000 per day, that would be
    50% carbs, 1000 cal, 250 g
    25% fat, 500 cal, 56g
    25% protein, 500 cal, 125 g
    (just to take the simplest example as a starting point; adjust for your own needs, to see where you feel best)

If you're wanting to gain muscle, eat at a SLIGHT surplus of calories, toward the top of the healthy range for
    protein %, and work on weightlifting.

To monitor progress, here's a calculator which can give you a decent estimate of your body fat %.
    It will also show you a table of the healthy BF% ranges for men & women.
    http://www.webcalcsolutions.com/fitness-calculators/body-fat-navy.asp?acctnum=3

For other people reading this thread, who might be in the process of losing weight,
    it's MUCH easier to maintain muscle than rebuild it.
    As you're losing weight, do weightlifting.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Do keep in mind that

Your macro's should be:

Look up reverse dieting. That's how I come off a cut for a lean bulk.

Both of these. I came off of my weight loss, which was very rapid, and did a slow reverse out. The reverse diet will help your body adjust to eating more since you will have a thermal gap due to adaptive thermogenesis. A slow increase to a small surplus will help you stabalize and close the thermal gap. Be patient with your bulk and remember you will have to deal with a lot of mental adjustments as you regain some fat. A lot of us have issues when we notice the fat coming back but once you get your head wrapped around the fact that it's all part of the process you'll be fine.

Good luck.