not too big to move

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i would totally recommend leslie sansone's walking dvd's!!! i know how you feel about wanting to work out at home.... when you already feel big you don't want people watching you try to work out!!! :embarassed: they are great videos with alot of different levels for beginners and stuff... and when you get stronger you can add weights and stuff. they are only about $10 at target!

i love leslie. very simple movements that get you moving. I have walk 4 fast miles, love it!
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it but Sweating to the Oldies is a great work out tape. They are low impact and there are people of all sizes on them. You could start out just doing it for about 5 minutes. then work up to 10 then up to 15.

Really as long as you are doing something. You could even get a step and step on and off of it for a couple of minutes and work your way up from there.

The more you lose and the more you move the less pain you will have, so it is worth suffering a little extra now to get a lot of relief later on.

I was going to suggest Sweatin' to the Oldies too..
    They're so fun to do.
    Even on days when you don't feel like doing anything, its easy to workout with silly Richard Simmons!
    You can pick them up cheap on Ebay!
  • wannabeeskinny
    Options
    hahhahah
    he makes me laugh
    i wonder if i will burn extra calories giggling to him as i dance:laugh:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    hahhahah
    he makes me laugh
    i wonder if i will burn extra calories giggling to him as i dance:laugh:

Oh I definately giggle at him, but it really is a good work out especially for someone who has trouble getting around. But some of those people on there are really big, and I always feel that if they can do it so can I.
  • saryann79
    saryann79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii and also have a significant amount of weight to lose (with the associated joint pain - mine is in my knees and ankles). I use Wii Fit or Wii Fitness Coach daily and they are low impact enough that I don't regret having done them later in the day during my very active job, but I do work up a sweat and feel better for having done them. I also have a Biggest Loser DVD that is fairly low impact (it has variations that are easier on the joints), and I have done the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs before and those were great - I was just thinking about going out and purchasing a couple. I also have a step aerobics step that you can adjust the height and just stepping up and down during TV shows, waiting for the washer or dryer, etc. helps.
  • workinonit
    Options
    anything is better than nothing, but you need to get your heart rate up. not only do you burn more calories, BUT you are also strengthening your heart. We do intervals, after warming up for about 5 or 10 minutes, they blow the whistle and you go as hard as you can for 30 seconds, then rest for a minute and go 30 seconds again. we do 3 or 4 intervals and then go at a good pace and then do more intervals. as you go along you make your intervals longer and the rest time shorter. You can do it. I was running on the treadmill for 60 seconds at a time, and I weighed 370 lbs. When you don't feel like you have one more ounce of energy left you can always find it.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Ok....I will admitt...here anywayy..lol
    i have got a LOT to lose
    Im 5'0 and weight 250
    ugh,,,,
    so i wanna drop about 150 i think
    I know I KNOW i must exercsie.But with this weight...Its hard for now
    and Im on my feet at work alllll day
    So im in a lot of pain...back and knees kill me always
    I cant afford a proper doctor for now(working on that)
    Does anyone have an idea of SOMETHING i can do until i shed a bit more and
    then would be easier to do a more extensive work out?
    No gym,,etc...something at home...etc
    hope you can help,,,Thanks
    just an fyi, I was 458 lbs when I was starting out with Yoga, water aerobics, strength training, etc... IT CAN BE DONE and MUST BE DONE:laugh: :laugh:

It's not easy going into a gym but I Love it now and loved it after the 2nd day! Can I do WAY MORE than I could this time last year? OMG YES! When I got a gym tour I seriously thought i was gonna die on the tour:laugh: :laugh: :blushing:

I now keep a journal specifically noting changes made since lbs have dropped....moving the car seat up a BUNCH, feeling I can do pretty much anything.

I know it does seem daunting at first...BUT there are many things that can be done as a larger person.... hope you're watching the BL....cause there Is some great examples of what can be done....tossing the medicine ball.... wall pushups, even if you can only start out doing 1, it's movement!

GO FOR IT...you can do it!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    It seriously IS the difference between life and death when at higher weight... excercise is vital...for many many reasons but if you're feeling vain (ok, that's not exactly vain, it's merely looking ahead) think on what your skin will do if you skip the excercise and lose the weight. SAG, sag, tons of loose skin and not anyplace to hide it from yourself.

Moving your body even if all you can do is walk to the end of the driveway....your body will thank you!! next time walk a tiny bit further, it does work, keep reading the message boards!! You'll see some folks here that have some large weight losses that have shared how they only wish they had excercised from the beginning because now they have to have plastic surgery because of the hanging skin. Learn from all of us here.... we're here to support you and push you if you need it.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    yoga at home may be good
    I would be embarrassed to do it out
    folks of all sizes do yoga... find yourself a gentle yoga class with a teacher that is willing to give modifications when needed. Yoga at home is good but I think taking a class first so you truly learn about Yoga and how to hold the positions might be a better place to start. Not all skinnies at the gym...pick one that isn't La fitness or 24 hour fitness...how about a tour..see what you think first:wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Ok....I will admitt...here anywayy..lol
    i have got a LOT to lose
    Im 5'0 and weight 250
    ugh,,,,
    so i wanna drop about 150 i think
    I know I KNOW i must exercsie.But with this weight...Its hard for now
    and Im on my feet at work alllll day
    So im in a lot of pain...back and knees kill me always
    I cant afford a proper doctor for now(working on that)
    Does anyone have an idea of SOMETHING i can do until i shed a bit more and
    then would be easier to do a more extensive work out?
    No gym,,etc...something at home...etc
    hope you can help,,,Thanks
    Often just simply dropping some weight can help a person get more mobile and feel they can have more endurance to do more. I bet your back and knees will hugely improve as the weight drops off!:drinker: Amazing all the things that extra weight can do...pain, keep us from being ourselves, we seem to limit ourselves more because of lower self-esteem etc.

Kudo's to you for wanting to get moving! Lesie Sasone's (think I got the last name correct?) walking off the lbs is definitely something you can do at home. I found the full set on ebay for under $15 where as in a local store that's how much 1 DVD is from what I've heard.

I really never understood how that DVD worked until I saw it. She has music and works with several folks and has to walk, move your arms etc. while doing it. Walking in place is what's it's like. Something you can try out at home and feel comfy while doing it, fit it in whenever you have time etc.

She has various distances and levels.....let me know if you'd like to know more about her DVD's..nah, I don't sell them!:laugh: I bought a set not to long ago and finally was able to take a look, makes much more sense now that I've seen one.

Trust me your knees and back pain will likely lessen adding excercise in.....you won't be so stiff and will sleep so much better!

Let us know what you find that works for you...oh and dancing while cleaning is a bunch of fun too...turn up that fast paced music and you kill two birds with one stone!:drinker: :laugh:

FC:heart: