Dinner Side Dishes...what does everyone eat?

Options
What do you eat with your dinner???

I need your suggestions for alternative side dishes at dinner. My dinner usually consists of small portion of some type of lean meat (pork chop, fish, chicken breast), vegetables (usually steamed) and a side item. I am trying to stay away from too many potatoes, rice and pasta items. What are some recommendations that aren't high in carbs and easy to fix?

Replies

• rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well Quinoa is a good side item, and it has more protein than rice, pasta, etc.
    You could also go for some fruit, or make a different kind of vegetable and prepare it differently (like sauteed zucchini or spicy okra)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I like whole grain rice as a side, or you could double up on your veggies, maybe a nice side salad.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had a side dish with my main meals, unless someone I'm out with badly wants chips but not a full portion. Can you do with a side salad?
  • bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    GAH that sounds exactly like my meals! haha. But now I try to eat more Sweet Potatoes rather than regular potatoes. I will also do quinoa or couscous, and add veggies... like beans and zucchini.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies in the oven. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, cauliflower. Just toss with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, roast on a cookie sheet at about 375 degrees for 20-30 mins.
    You can add other spices to the veggies also. I love garam masala with the sweet potatoes.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of dark, leafy greens, such as collard and mustard greens, kale, and spinach. I eat low carb and don't worry about fat, so I usually cook it with bacon, but it would be good with just water or stock to start and I love my greens with nutmeg. Even a little turkey bacon would add that wonderful smoky flavor. I could eat them every meal.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I love sauteed zucchini or asparagus for a side.
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    I eat tons of salads, vegetables, dried beans and fruit. After 3 months of eating like this my body actually craves these foods!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Vegetables.
  • kathshimmin
    Options
    Cous Cous is brilliant - Low GI, dead easy to prepare (just pour on boiling water and stand for a few mins) and you can get it in lots of different flavours (plain/roasted veg/sundried tomato etc)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Asian Pasta Salad with Vegetables
    Source: dLife

This delicious Asian variation on pasta salad is loaded with carrots, cabbage, and sesame seeds

Rating:
    Prep Time: 2 hours
    Cook Time: 15 minutes
    Difficulty: EASY

Nutrition Facts

Makes 5servings
    Amount Per Serving

Calories 154.7

Total Carbs 24 g

Dietary Fiber 4.5 g

Sugars 7.1 g

Total Fat 4 g

Saturated Fat 0.3 g

Unsaturated Fat 3.8 g

Potassium 324.3 mg

Protein 4.7 g

Sodium 211.7 mg

Dietary Exchanges
    1 Fat, 1 Starch, 2 Vegetable

See the Detailed Nutritional Analysis
    Powered by ESHA

Servings Ingredients
    3oz Pasta, linguini, dry, package , broken into 3" pieces (or fettuccine)
    2Carrots, fresh, large, 7 1/4" - 8 1/2" long, USDA Commodity Commodity , julienned
    2tbsp rice vinegar
    2tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    1/2oz honey
    1tbsp canola oil
    1/4tsp dry mustard
    1/4tsp toasted sesame oil
    1pinch hot pepper sauce (to taste)
    24oz fresh shredded cabbage (Chinese style)
    2tsp sesame seeds , toasted

Directions
    1 Bring salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook for 5 minutes, then add carrots and continue boiling until pasta is al dente.
    2 Drain and rinse under cold water.
    3 In medium bowl, mix vinegar, soy sauce, honey, canola oil, mustard, sesame oil, and hot pepper sauce. Pour over pasta and toss.
    4 Cover and refrigerate for a minimum 2 hours and maximum 24 hours.
    5 When ready to serve, add cabbage and toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

Additional Information
    If rice vinegar and Chinese cabbage are difficult to find, wine vinegar and spinach can be substituted respectively.

dlife.com has tons of healthy side dish recipes
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    WOW! I love ALL of these suggestions....thanks so much everyone...keep them coming!!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bulgur wheat is a low calorie grain a healthy alternative to rice. I add a bunch of veggies to it like cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, kalamata olives, fetta cheese and a 1/2 a tbsp of olive (or non at all), crushed garlic and wine vinegar. It bulks up in your plate for a guilt free big serving. I like it as left overs for the next day too.
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    I love roasting veggies in the oven. Sweet potatoes, parsnips, cauliflower. Just toss with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, roast on a cookie sheet at about 375 degrees for 20-30 mins.
    You can add other spices to the veggies also. I love garam masala with the sweet potatoes.
    I always wondered how you roasted veggies...thanks..i'm going to try this!!
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love squash especially since it is that time of year for fresh veggies. I wash and slice them, put them on aluminum foil prepped with a tiny bit of olive oil. I spray the squash with olive oil spray and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. I bake in a 425 degree oven until they are done. You can also grill them. I could eat that all day long.
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My favorites are asparagus and sauteed spinach with lemon. I have a great easy recipe for asparagus: boil asparagus in a pot for 2-3 minutes and then blanche. In a skillet, cook about 1/2 cup grape tomatoes (halved) with some fresh minced garlic and a little olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add some basalmic vinegar (to taste) to the skillet and cook about 3 more minutes. Put the asparagus on a platter and pour the tomatoes, garlic and basalmic vinegar over the asparagus. Top with a few crumbles of goat cheese. Yummy!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've tried eliminating starches/sides from my dinner plate and adding an extra serving of veggies in its place. I need to get back to this method, b/c it helped me drop some pounds before. Otherwise, plain couscous, baked sweet potato, or my favorite, barley. I'll spice up any of these with steamed mini diced peppers, carrots, celery, and/or onions. Mmm. Good luck.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A second veggie or a salad. Cottage cheese...which can be served many ways (plain, with pepper or other seasoning, with fruit, etc.)