The guilt of missing a work out

Options
Hi guys, just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is feeling the same as me and if so, how to help overcome it.

Unhappy as many of us are, 4 weeks ago I committed myself to a work out regime at home to lose weight and also get stronger. I also wanted to supplement this with additional exercise such as gym work, classes, jogging and swimming etc wherever possible.

I now have a real sense of guilt if I just complete my home work out alone without anything extra. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want it to get out of hand or turn into an obsession which makes me ill or miss out on spending time having fun doing other things.

Your thoughts and comments will be most welcome X

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    If I'm running short of time for a variety of reasons but have time to get a short workout in I don't feel guilty. I might be a bit disappointed but not guilty. At least you accomplished something.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's life. You'll get over it.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, when I first started my fitness journey to lose weight and BF%, any missed workout was met a feeling of guilt - the "I shoulda's" and the "I coulda's". Now 3 years later and 3 years wiser about everything i'm totally different. I don't stress or feel that same guilt. So I guess when you've been at your goal for a while, missing a day or two really doesn't phase you as much as it might when you're still working towards your goal.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for folks starting out to set pretty lofty goals for themselves and then feel like crap when they don't reach them (both food and exercise wise). While it's great to challenge yourself, start with smaller goals and then work up to more. And keep in mind, we all have off days.