Insomnia caused by menopause

Options
I can't believe I'm writing this, but I am at wit's end. Every few weeks, I have a couple of days where I wake up at 3:00 am and either don't fall back asleep or am up for a couple of hours. Since I typically get up at 5:30 to go to the gym, this affects my exercise schedule (among other things). Are there any perimenopausal or menopausal women out there with tips on dealing with this insomnia (i.e. on how to fall back asleep!!!)? This has been going on for a few years and my doctor tells me my sleep patterns will eventually go back to normal, but in the meantime I'm not a happy camper. :smile:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have been suffering from insomnia for years. I take a benadryl before bed every night and it helps. But I still wake up a 5:30 every morning. You could talk to the Dr.
  • kjmosquito
    kjmosquito Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have/had suffered the same thing. I tried all the over the counter stuff and it didn't work. My doctor finally told me to take Benedryl at night before I go to bed. Works like a charm! Once in a while I still wake up but that is usually if I have something on my mind and my mind is working overtime. For the most part, if I keep up with my exercise program and take the Benedryl I sleep like a charm.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My daughter's pediatrican recommended she take Melatonin supplements for sporatic insomnea. Melatonin is what "controls your sleep and wake cycles" and the supplements are non-adictive, safe, very inexpensive, effective without side affects and you don't get all the additional medications you are putting in your body when you take Benadryl. Benadryl is for alergy relief and drowsiness is a negative side affect. There are different strengthes of Melatonin and it was recommended that we start off with a low dose for her as a little bit may be just enough and you can always double up or cut a pill in half, etc until you find what works well for you.
    Here's a link to Web MD: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview
  • dcw10
    dcw10 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey , I'm sorry to hear your going through this .i also have had this happen to me in the last year or so.I hate to say that there isn't much I found that will help but this is what I did and it seemed to help me.
    i still got up at my regular time (5am) or even earlier if I happen to wake at 4 or 430 . I know it makes for a long day but I was usually sleepy by the time I went to bed .
    I tried not to nap at all during the days it could have been possible.
    I took melatonin and tried reading (it relaxes me )
    Although these things helped some I'm not a person that can go without sleep consistently so I finally went to my dr. and she prescribed me ambein (which i'm not saying should be your first choice)
    I only took 1/4 - 1/2 when I had trouble it seemed to help and get my sleeping pattern back on track . I now am back to my normal sleep pattern .
    I really hope you can get a handle on this .I hope it will not last very long for you ! good luck