Carb & Protein in a healthy diet

Options
mosaix
mosaix Posts: 87 Member
Hi guys

I just wondered, what is a healthy amount of g of carbs & protein to eat daily if you're having 1300 cals net?

I'm struggling to eat healthily that isn't a salad, or carb heavy

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have my goals set at 45% carb and 25% protein. You have to see what works for you. If you are always over in something and not the other then change it around until it fits how you eat. Some people eat more carbs and some more protein. There is a lot of opinions out there but you have to do what is best for you.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule for protein is .7g-.8g per pound of body weight. I've also been told per pound of lean body mass and I've been told per pound of goal body weight.

Carbs and fat are the ones to work with.

I'm right now at 15% carb; 25% protein; 60% fat. I cut out grains, sugars, dairy and starches and I feel amazing (after doing the research I now believe what the government tells us is healthy actually isn't so healthy). But not everyone believes this or follows this eating lifestyle. Keep protein at a specific percentage and tweak the carbs and fats until you find numbers that work for you. 40/30/30 is a good place to start.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Yep, I eat the opposite, I am protein heavy (+/-1g/lb body weight), then fats, then at the bottom...carbs.

You just have to kind of experiment and see what works for you. Some people don't tolerate carbs well at all lol.
  • Yahalla
    Yahalla Posts: 7
    Options
    Per my doctor, I have my carbs and protein set equally...126 grams of protein, 126 grams of carbs per day. My caloric content is a bit higher as I am not planning to lose the weight as quickly (only looking for a pound a week). The protein builds the lean muscle, which burns calories more efficiently than does other body tissues. Per my doc, the idea is that the building of the lean muscle, by increasing the protein, will be a perpetually better diet. However, as DLS said, you have to do what is right for you. Your body needs both.