tummy exercise that dont hurt my back!

Options
hi, does anyone know of any good tummy exercises that dont put a strain on the back? I have looked online but all the ones I have tried i can feel hurting my back rather than working my belly! Any advice would be great! thanks

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well, what I was told by a personal trainer is that i was trying to use my neck as well, and it was putting a strain on the neck and spinal cord. so try not to strain your neck when you do crunches, it's really hard for me to do. But I've found when I don't strain my neck so much I get a better work out with less pain
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    After I had my csection, i had horrible core muscles. my trainer had me lie on my back, and hold a large beach ball between my calves and my glutes. Then I did reverse crunches while squeezing the ball. She said this would be easier on my back and would help all of the muscles that had been cut.

They were hard at first, but by the end of my 6 weeks with her, I was doing 100 of them. My goal in working out with her was to be able to get back up off the floor without rolling around like a potato bug after my csection. This is the one exercise that helped the most. I still do them. HTH.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Here is one that I love. I did them and they didn't feel to bad and I did the circuit twice.
    The next two days I could feel it.

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/belly-abs/pilates-workout-6-moves-for-a-flat-belly/article/978988dc78803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

Here is another one I'm planning on adding to the above one to make a longer circuit.

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/belly-abs/target-your-deepest-ab-fat/article/e017bacea4202210VgnVCM10000030281eac____/3

Do them in slow controlled moves.
    I do 2 - 3 circuits.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Yoga is probably the best. Strengthening your core muscles (abs/back/buttocks).
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like the plank on your back. Lay flat legs extended, toes pointed, arms stretched over your head and slowly bring one leg up (you can bend both legs, it might give you relief to your back) while you reach towards your feet with your hands, switch legs. You can do it standing as well. Hands over head as you extend one leg in front of you reach out towards your foot as far as you can go. Do these slowly. Make sure you warm up really good first and only extend as far as you can go.
  • rayer50
    rayer50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do crunches on your bed, its easier on the back. There's not as much pressure on your spine or tailbone.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Try a Callanetics(not Calisthenics) DVD the original, its from the 80's but all the exercises are amazing and they are safe for people with back pain. the best part is you get amazing results and quickly
  • vannabana
    vannabana Posts: 10
    Options
    I use a stability ball to do most of my abs exercises because of my back and the stress most exercises put on it. The ball not only helps you with your balance it also helps with your core and you can stretch your back on the ball without putting stress on your neck and back. You can do more exercises than you would think on the ball and get an awesome workout and work multiple areas at the same time!:smile:
  • sbcohn22
    sbcohn22 Posts: 7
    Options
    My physical therapist gave me a few when I hurt my back:

Planks and side planks, on your forearms and toes. Make sure your back is very slightly rounded or flat, and not sinking toward the floor. Flex your stomach muscles inward. I started with 3 sets of 10 seconds for each (regular, left and right sides) and now can hold them for quite a long time.

Elbow to knee, this one looks dorky but is good. Get on your hands and knees, with back flat or slightly rounded. Slowly put out your right arm and left leg until they're straight, then slowly bring them in and curl under yourself until your elbow touches your knee. I usually do about 20 for one side then switch, but you could alternate 1 each side if that is easier.

Good luck!
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I have old back injuries have found seated crunches with the aid of resistance bands is great. By not having to lie down on my back it seems to help tons.
  • joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    cheers guys! I'll give these a try during my workout tomorrow!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    tag