Is anyone trying to lose weight BEFORE getting pregnant?

I do not have any kids yet, just wondering if anyone else is looking to lose weight before starting to try to conceive?
I feel like it would make the pregnancy, labor, and birth easier if I started at a healthier weight.
On the other hand, I am really excited to have kids and I feel like I have been waiting forever!!! I am getting impatient.

Currently around 195ish ( I need a new battery for my scale, so this is just an estimate. )
Trying ultimately be 150ish. I am not set on losing ALL of the weight before getting pregnant. I just want to start at a healthier place. Height is 5'7" for reference.
Feel free to add me! Looking for new friends for support, chatting, and encouragement.

Replies

• smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    I'm still probably realistically about a year out from trying, but I'm impatient too! If I was in your situation, I would lose 10% of your current bodyweight, say 20 lbs, then go for it! You will see measurable health benefits after 10% but it won't take you as long as your goal weight.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    My boyfriend and I aren't planning for kids anytime soon but we both want to start a family someday. I know that my weight could cause issues so even though it's quite far into the future I'm trying to shed the pounds beforehand. Feel free to add me!
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    first - make sure you take a daily multi-vitamin with folate
    why not just eat super healthy natural foods? you'll lose weight naturally
    just cut out the carbage (carbohydrate garbage) foods

What nonsense. If you eat too many calories worth of 'superhealthy' foods you'll still get fat.
    And carbs aren't the devil.
  • KelseyRae5
    KelseyRae5 Posts: 183 Member
    I'm still probably realistically about a year out from trying, but I'm impatient too! If I was in your situation, I would lose 10% of your current bodyweight, say 20 lbs, then go for it! You will see measurable health benefits after 10% but it won't take you as long as your goal weight.

That is a good idea! I know people of all shapes and sizes get pregnant and have uneventful normal pregnancies. I just feel like I want to start out on a better foot than where I am currently at.
  • KelseyRae5
    It is definitely portion control that needs fixing, as well as exercise!
    I am just having a hard time getting back into it. I love food, and I hate exercise. haha
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited September 2015
    I am doing this. I'm hoping to make the weight loss after child birth easier... so the less I weigh now, the less I need to lose after pregnancy.

My other goal would be to lose weight and maintain it for a while before pregnancy. I'd love to know what my actual maintenance calories are before being pregnant so that I can know how much to eat while pregnant and control weight gain better.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    KelseyRae5 wrote: »
    I do not have any kids yet, just wondering if anyone else is looking to lose weight before starting to try to conceive?
    I feel like it would make the pregnancy, labor, and birth easier if I started at a healthier weight.
    On the other hand, I am really excited to have kids and I feel like I have been waiting forever!!! I am getting impatient.

Currently around 195ish ( I need a new battery for my scale, so this is just an estimate. )
    Trying ultimately be 150ish. I am not set on losing ALL of the weight before getting pregnant. I just want to start at a healthier place. Height is 5'7" for reference.
    Feel free to add me! Looking for new friends for support, chatting, and encouragement.

I think that it is great that you are trying to lose weight before conceiving.

Actually, excess weight can sometimes make it harder for a woman to conceive. And, you are right that the pregnancy, labor and birth will be lower risk if you reduce your weight now.

I'd advise you to consult with your doctor now to get a current assessment of your overall health, including blood work to test your present blood sugar, lipid and thyroid status. You should ask your doctor what he or she suggests regarding your weight status before trying to conceive.

You want the best possible outcomes for you and your baby so it is fantastic that you are planning now.
  • KelseyRae5
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I am doing this. I'm hoping to make the weight loss after child birth easier... so the less I weigh now, the less I need to lose after pregnancy.

My other goal would be to lose weight and maintain it for a while before pregnancy. I'd love to know what my actual maintenance calories are before being pregnant so that I can know how much to eat while pregnant and control weight gain better.

YES! exactly!
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

You get it!! I tell people this and they look at me like I have 3 heads!!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    @KelseyRae5 @sarab920
    Yay! You mean I'm not crazy? Hahah. I sometimes waiver between what I said before and "Ack, whats the point, I'm just going to gain it back"... but it is clear which is the better choice.
  • lilybelle2929
    lilybelle2929 Posts: 10 Member
    I am also losing weight but in my case it's to GET pregnant, like conceive. I've just been diagnosed with PCOS and while it's a relief finally getting an answer why it's so hard to lose weight, my husband and I are anxious to start our family. It's tough knowing it's because of me...
  • SamanthaPeake
    SamanthaPeake Posts: 54 Member
    I was obese and pregnant both times!! Don't do it!! Aches, pains, hemmaroids etc etc not to mention gestational diabetes. Being patronised by nurses about your eating habits. Having to read "unable to scan baby properly due to mothers high BMI" on all of your scan notes. If you can be healthy weight before you get pregnant do it!! I soooo wish I had. Genuinely wish you the best of luck!! Xxx
  • TiffanyBeckett
    TiffanyBeckett Posts: 173 Member
    We are currently trying for our third baby! I have a 9 month and a seven year old now. I have been working out and losing weight since my 9 month old I am about 15 lbs from pre baby all together! But my second pregnancy I was extremely over weight! I ended up having diabetes and she was breech! I am doing things completely different this time! I plan on working out through this next pregnancy and of course not losing weight but just putting on what is needed and maintaining.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    My boyfriend and I are a long way off from getting preggers (I'm working on a PhD, he's completing dual master's degrees... and we need to get married), but we have already committed to being healthy and fit before taking the baby making plunge. Life gets so much more complicated with children and we decided healthy habits MUST come first (role modeling and all ;) ). I've already lost about 25 lbs and he has lost about 35. Right now, I'm about 180ish and have a goal of 155. I'm 26 and 6'0". Feel free to add me!
  • sturchiok89
    sturchiok89 Posts: 14 Member
    This is exactly me right now, I don't want to be fat and pregnant. When I hit 150 I'm good too start but I hate waiting. I want to be healthy for my baby though.
  • Loganmmontgomery
    Loganmmontgomery Posts: 47 Member
    Same thing. Getting married in July and sometime in the next few years we want kids. I'd rather have a healthy body for my unborn children to grow in. I want to get my habits correct now before the wedding and a family.